SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#1095 - 04/01/06 02:41 PM amplification of keyboard
Jim Kirker Offline

Loc: D'aguilar Queensland Australia
Have a Technics Kn2400 keyboard and a pair of 4 ohm 300 watt RMS speakers of good quality.Is there someone who can advise me as to what specifications I should look for in purchasing a stereo amplifer that I can get good quality sound from Whoa to go.many thanks Jim queensland Australia

#1096 - 04/02/06 02:56 PM Re: amplification of keyboard
MORPH! Offline

Loc: Laguna Beach, California, Unit...
Jim,

It's a little difficult to answer your Q because I don't know that keyboard well.
Does it have a:
Stereo line out, (possibly marked as an amp out)? or an
External speaker out?
You see, the impeadance and millivolt output ratings are important.
About 300 ohm @ 500mV max woud be ideal.

I suspect that it does have a heaphone output though.

The techie answer for your question (in my opinion) would be a linear A B push pull amp.
Cutting this down to real life words, is an amplifier that puts out exactly (nearly) the same signal as what is pumped into it without much coloration or change to the sound, and has an ability to rarely clip and overload when its input tends to have a lot of overloading characteristics for most amplifiers. Even with this type of amp, it is no bueno if you are going to take a speaker output and put it into an amp input. If the only output you have was the original wiring to the internal speakers, you will need to put a black box in-between that will match up for the input ohms of the amp and of course bring down the power to an input level as mentioned.

As said, I do not know the specs of your keyboard but I suspect that it has speakers built into it. I do not know if it has a line out or not but a line out is required. I'm pretty sure it has a headphone output but it may still have too low of an impeadance for the input of an amp. Without knowing these things it is hard to steer you. I will say that there are some very good priced semi-professional amps out there that are most forgiving when it comes to their input.

Matching your speakers (which I shall presume was originally for a sound reinforcement (PA like System) since they are 4ohms with such a high rating, and that they are in enclosure(s)) you might check out a Alesis RA300. It is a cheaper rack model that is quiet convection cooled, quality, durable, and affordable blinging in at a hundred (USD) or so on ebay used. I would not recommend the typical home stereo amp because they are too picky on their input and probably would overload very easily as well as be likely to color the sound with too much bass. When it comes down to it all, just about anything will probably work but its a matter of how important the quality of the sound is.
Without knowing a few things that I mentioned Jim, that's about as complete as I can make this post.

#1097 - 04/02/06 06:22 PM Re: amplification of keyboard
Jim Kirker Offline

Many thanks Morph for going to such lengths with the explanation.The Technics Kn2400 is an economy version of the KN7000.Being stereo it has 2 line outs L - R The Keyboard has its own speakers and the rating is given at 36W (18 x 2)and thats the full extent of the technical specifications they supply.I am trying to get good sound quality at all levels so will watch ebay for a Alesis RA300.Once again my gratefull thanks .Jim

#1098 - 04/02/06 08:54 PM Re: amplification of keyboard
MORPH! Offline

Loc: Laguna Beach, California, Unit...
Tally Ho!
with those line outs you can use just about anything like:

ADA 2 Channel MicroTube 200w Power Amp Rack Mount NR
http://cgi.ebay.com/ADA-2-Channel-MicroT...1QQcmdZViewItem

I noticed some Pyle amps there too...they are tough as nails and if they have the same warrantee as their speakers once did (and I guess still do), you blow it up and all you do is pay for the shipping. no explanations needed.

Since you do have line outs you can also get a quality bass amp for cheap too which I think might be a great choice because they seem to be going for dirt cheap right now.Youll save big on the ship if you find one in your area.
Pete

#1099 - 04/02/06 11:22 PM Re: amplification of keyboard
Jim Kirker Offline

Pete
That last paragraph has thrown me...'BASS AMP'...really show my age and ignorance now.Is This referring to a type or make,or is it something extra like one has with a computer or surround sound ?...Jim

#1100 - 04/04/06 03:29 AM Re: amplification of keyboard
Non_Typical Offline

Loc: UK
I've heard good things about those Technics keyboards, how programmable are they?

------------------
http://www.alternativeblueprint.com
Record label - The blueprint for alternative beats.
http://spaces.msn.com/fatasfunk
Wicked CD mastering - FREE DEMO on your track!!

http://spaces.msn.com/fatasfunk
Wicked CD mastering - FREE DEMO on your track!!

#1101 - 04/04/06 03:49 AM Re: amplification of keyboard
Jim Kirker Offline

afraid your asking the wrong guy,I'm nearer 80 than 70 and was a pianist,having to change to a keyboard for the lighter touch.But quickly learnt that the built in rhythms in keyboards weren't for my era of music,also the manual isn't written for my age bracket either,so after nearly 2 years and almost ready to give it away,I by accident learnt how to get in to change the basics,and I mean basics...wouldn't part with it now.Wonderfull sounds and rhythms.Would have been a better instrument if the Panel memory buttons were accessable to the left hand

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online