SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#110026 - 08/30/03 06:00 PM ot..Athlon....vs... Pent 4 processors pro/con?...
Dnj Offline

Mobile AMDŽ Athlon? XP-M processor 2400+ (1.8GHz) with PowerNow! ? technology>>>>>>>>>>

I was looking at a laptop that has this AMD processor...is there a big difference then a Pentium 4..or .Celeron?

#110027 - 08/30/03 06:16 PM Re: ot..Athlon....vs... Pent 4 processors pro/con?...
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

DNJ, from what I have seen and heard all these processors will work well but....

the safest choice is the Pentium 4!!!

#110028 - 08/30/03 07:36 PM Re: ot..Athlon....vs... Pent 4 processors pro/con?...
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Hello: I have worked with both, and they are excelent !!, there is one thing, if you are a Gigasampler user, it does NOT even install, it has to be Pentium by Intel, so, it depends in what software you are going to use.....other wise, I had no complains for the AMD Athlon...I hope it helps....

------------------
mdorantes

#110029 - 08/30/03 07:49 PM Re: ot..Athlon....vs... Pent 4 processors pro/con?...
Dnj Offline

I would only be using, hyper canvas,
van basco, winamp, sonar, acid pro, win medea player, etc

#110030 - 08/30/03 09:49 PM Re: ot..Athlon....vs... Pent 4 processors pro/con?...
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
Donny make sure you check your software to see if there is specifics for running it on different based processors. AMD makes good processors and the Athlon is their Flagship. The only real concern when running AMD processors is they run 'hotter' than Intel processors. And heat is a computers worst enemy. Intel processors have a wider compatibility range for both hardware and software, so Intel would be my first recommendation to you. The very latest Pentium 4 processors now have Hyper-threading capability too, which gives them an even greater boost in overall performance.

Happy shopping!

Best regards,
Mike

#110031 - 08/30/03 10:33 PM Re: ot..Athlon....vs... Pent 4 processors pro/con?...
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
I have almost the same type of software, (SONAR, COOL EDIT 2000, SOUND FORGUE 6, ETC.), I have P4, some of my friends, also have similar set ups and have the AMD Athlon....and no problem....Idatrod
is correct, runs hotter.....my friends help it installing an extra cooling fan inside their PCs......good luck !! .

------------------
mdorantes

#110032 - 08/31/03 04:51 AM Re: ot..Athlon....vs... Pent 4 processors pro/con?...
Dnj Offline

Thanx for all the help everyone....this is a bigger headache then picking out a new keyboard !!! and probably what ever I buy will be obsolete in a year any way ....

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 08-31-2003).]

#110033 - 08/31/03 06:29 AM Re: ot..Athlon....vs... Pent 4 processors pro/con?...
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Get the P4...... Music likes the Pentium format.

#110034 - 08/31/03 02:04 PM Re: ot..Athlon....vs... Pent 4 processors pro/con?...
Wazza Offline

Loc: Sonnega, Friesland, The Nether...
Well,

Personally I prefer the Athlon, because its cheaper.
The Intel doesn't perform better then the AMD, I even heard the AMD has a faster numerical processor.
I have an AMD Athlon (Thunderbird) 1 GHZ, and never had problems, my past 2 systems were Intel, and I had much more trouble with those machines.
You just save yourself some money buying an AMD, and it isn't anything less than an Intel, maybe even better.
Hope this helps,

Greetz ,
Wazza

#110035 - 08/31/03 04:34 PM Re: ot..Athlon....vs... Pent 4 processors pro/con?...
Uncle Dave Offline

I've seen system requirments that stated Pentium or higher. That's why I steer clear of the knock offs.

#110036 - 08/31/03 08:14 PM Re: ot..Athlon....vs... Pent 4 processors pro/con?...
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Pentium 4

#110037 - 09/01/03 12:37 AM Re: ot..Athlon....vs... Pent 4 processors pro/con?...
PaulD Offline

Loc: Eugene, OR
I have several computers both Intel and AMD setups. I do however run my studio on my AMD with out any problems. You are looking at laptops, make sure that they are the mobile processors, and really hunt for a laptop that has a sperate memory (not shared) for the video card. I have found this to be a bigger problem than what processor is driving. No matter if you go with a AMD or an Intel do you need to worry about heat, as most laptop manufactures have taken the heat load into concideration and have sized the cooling accordingly. Video Card, Memory and Hard Drive speeds are much more important than what the processor is, as both are great processors.

#110038 - 09/01/03 04:10 AM Re: ot..Athlon....vs... Pent 4 processors pro/con?...
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
If we are specifically talking mobile applications, then the Intel mobile processors have allways had better power management for a given performance level. The new "Centrino" mobile processors seem to be even better, as well as giving "more bangs per clock"; the clock rates seem quite slow but the real-life performance is still very good. As it's newer technolgy, then naturally they are relatively expensive. AMD almost always win on "bangs-per-bug". If battery endurance is not an issue then the software compatability issue is the only possible "gotcha".

f.y.i. I'm running an Athlon 1700XP at home, no worries, but then I'm not using any special stuff (other than Sonar / Soundforge).

#110039 - 09/01/03 08:09 AM Re: ot..Athlon....vs... Pent 4 processors pro/con?...
vic83 Offline

Loc: Florida
Go for the P4. Preferable(if you can afford it ) P4HT. it's now in laptops.

#110040 - 09/01/03 08:42 AM Re: ot..Athlon....vs... Pent 4 processors pro/con?...
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I wanted a laptop.. Great for "portastudio" type work. The problem for me would be that I want to use my SB Live / Midiman audiophile ( or other card ). I think there are adapters that allow the use of PCI devices but is the hassle worth it ? Hassle being having to plug said device in and have it outside of the laptop. I almost bought myself a mini tower PC setup, but at the time the store only had the one pci card version. I do so much on the computer with my boards that a laptop would be ideal, but not with a fair to poor ( stock ) soundcard in it.

AJ

#110041 - 09/02/03 01:20 AM Re: ot..Athlon....vs... Pent 4 processors pro/con?...
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
AJ: External adapter for PCI card use on a laptop?!?! I don't remember ever seeing anything like that and I'm not sure it is possible! Sounds like you need an Extigy - or is this newer "mp3" external soundblaster thingy any use?

P4HT is a darn good processor but it is a desktop CPU and so will eat power. The HT (hyperthreading) bit makes a difference for single processor machines only if the application is specifically designed to use the feature; unlikely for audio apps.

#110042 - 09/02/03 05:52 AM Re: ot..Athlon....vs... Pent 4 processors pro/con?...
Uncle Dave Offline

AJ,
I have a PCMCIA soundcard that has digital AND analog ins and outs hard wired to the card. I'll get you the specs as soon as I dig it out. It was an impulse buy for me, and I haven't even used it yet. It just sounded like a great addition to the laptop.

I remember that it sold for $599 about a year ago. At the beginning of the Summer Sam Ash was blowing them out for $200.
It has XLR and rca jacks...as well as digital connectors. This MAY be just what you're looking for ! I haven't even taken it out of the package all the way. I just peeked at the unit while I was watching TV one night.

OK .... here's the scoop:

Digigram VXpocket
professional sound card
time code capable

Interrested?

#110043 - 09/02/03 12:49 PM Re: ot..Athlon....vs... Pent 4 processors pro/con?...
Vquestor Offline

Bluezplayer, don't forget to check out
those new "six-pack" size PCs. They have
at least one full size PCI slot!
If you go that route, also check out the
Echo Mia Midi card since it has 1/4" balanced
inputs and outputs(under $200).

#110044 - 09/02/03 05:11 PM Re: ot..Athlon....vs... Pent 4 processors pro/con?...
Sesom163 Offline

Your best bet is an Intel processor for Laptops, because any Pentium "M" or especially the new optomized ones (forgot the name) are going to run far better than an AMD chip. Basically, AMD is lagging behind Intel, and it shows. (if your a power user)

#110045 - 09/02/03 09:00 PM Re: ot..Athlon....vs... Pent 4 processors pro/con?...
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
UD,

I just bought a new Computer ( PC ) , so for now ( meaning this month anyway ) a laptop and soundcard to go with it is not in the budget. When I decide to go the "portable" route though, I might do the "six-pack" tower instead of a laptop. I'm waiting for the local store to get one with 2 pci slots. They can be bought barebones, and really, all I need to put in it would be the basics and a good soundcard. I have a fairly new CD writer sitting here all by itself, taking up space so that would work out too.

There just isn't enough value in a laptop for me, as I use audio based programs as much as midi based, so a good soundcard is a necessity, and all the extras for me are just window dressing. I'd gladly pickup another Audiophile for the minitower, as I find this card to be excellent value for the dollar. I just think it would be cool to be able to bring Sonar, Jammer Pro, N Tarck and all the VST plugs, etc anywhere I want to and be able to use the comp as a portable production and recording studio. I'm not really that interested in having one available for live work, otherwise a laptop would be a no brainer.

Mac,
I saw something a few years back on this. I really believe that io saw something that would allow PCI based components to be used with a laptop, but I can't remember what site it was on, other than it was an audio / recording site.. Maybe I was mistakesn. Either way, it is of little matter for me at this point.

AJ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online