SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#109946 - 01/08/02 08:52 AM Re: Unpowered speakers - another question
Mike H Offline

Loc: Homer AK
U-Dave
So what is the model of those Yamaha's?? - I think you said they were PC speakers?? As to arrangers- the 9000pro is on the heavy side - although I can find them for under 2400 now - and it looks like the KN6500 can be had for cheaper than that. I like some of the percussion stuff on the SD1 - and I think all 3 of those have optimal fill and variation ability. Also - my one reservation about the kn6500 is that it doesn't seem to have a direct video out.

Mike up North

#109947 - 01/08/02 10:39 AM Re: Unpowered speakers - another question
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
YST-MS50. They sell for about a hundred bucks, and really compliment the FP3.

#109948 - 01/09/02 02:03 PM Re: Unpowered speakers - another question
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
The EVsxa100's they are doing great for me......but the horns are pretty hissy. Even with NO signal present, there is a hissssssss.

Yeah, a lady came up to me the other night and mentioned the hiss, and I just told her not to sit up so close to the amp, unless she wanted to be struck by a snake. Seriously though, the hiss is only noticeable if you are up real close to the amp in a quiet room. I'm just curious how other powered amps compare in hiss volume level: Mackie 450's, JBLs, Rolands, Peaveys, etc. I still like my EVsx100's though because they do sound terrific and are MUCH easier to transport than the Mackie 450's. - Scott

#109949 - 01/09/02 02:38 PM Re: Unpowered speakers - another question
Mike H Offline

ScottYee - Happy New Year

Are you happy with the fidelity of those EV units?? I have been quoted a very low price on the SRM450's - by a dealer in Alaska no less - so I am considering those - although he wants me to seriously consider the Peavey 1012 powered unit. Also Yorkville E160P.

Also on another topic Scott - what is your impression of the 9000pro (available for 2430.00 right now) stacked against the KN6500. BTW will sure be looking forward to your GEM report from NAMM.

all the best -
Mike up North

#109950 - 01/09/02 02:52 PM Re: Unpowered speakers - another question
dlstarry Offline

Loc: MN. U.S.A.
HI: Scott
The Yamaha MS400 powered speakers don't have
any hiss from the horn or any place else for
that matter, unless you got the mixer volume
turned way up & pushing them hard, then if
your not playing there is a little hiss, but
not to bad.
I don't know if the other powered speakers
work the same as the MS400's or not, but with
the MS400's I turn the volume all the way up
on the speakers & regulate the volume with
the mixer.
I know the FBT powered speakers that I had
didn't work that way if you turned the volume
way up on them they had alot of hiss.
Enjoying the 9000 PRO
Denny

#109951 - 01/09/02 07:31 PM Re: Unpowered speakers - another question
Scottyee Offline

Mike:
Yes, I'm very happy with the audio fidelity & performance of the EvSxa100's. In fact, though I'm very impressed with the Mackie 450's sound, I tend to agree with Donny Pesce (sorry Uncle Dave) that the Mackie 450's sound a tad bit hyped for my music taste (especially for intimate exposed bass drums piano, vocals stuff lounge material). My only complaint about the EV SxA100's is the hiss heard when up close when the room is quiet. It's apparently built into the internal amp system because it doesn't change in volume even if the audio input cords are removed. For high quality pro souding live 'one man band' gig performance where portablility is important, the EVs fit the bill. If portability wasn't an issue, I'd obviously opt for the Mackie 450s.

For at home studio playing/recording, I prefer going thru my Genelec 1029A Near field Monitors w/ 1091A sub woofer. http://www.genelec.com/products/1029a/1029a.htm
They produce the most accurate sound but you need to stay in close proximity to the speakers (sweet zone) to obtain optimum sound.

Re: Yamaha 9000pro - Yeah, I was drooling over this board at NAMM last year. The only problem (for me) is its' weight and awkward size. If they would have moved the pitch bend controler from the left side to above the keys in order to shorten the length of the board, I probably would have purchased it. Though the PSR2000 doesn't have all the features of the 9000pro (hard drive, multiple registration banks, MFC10 foot controller pedal support, and a few additional sounds including a terrific 'live' piano sample), I'm still VERY happy with the PSR2000, because it has almost all other features/sounds of the 9000pro, but in a MUCH smaller/lighter package (24 lbs vs 49 lbs) and is less than 1/2 the price. Btw, ALL the 9000pro's styles are readily available for FREE on the internet for download into the PSR2000. They sound the same on both the 9000 & 2000. If price is not a consideration and you don't plan to move it very often, then the 9000pro would probably be the best choice. As far as GEM's new keyboard offering, we have yet to see. So far I'm a little skeptical, but we could all be in for a surprise at NAMM. Mike, if trad jazz (as you have noted in the past) is your fav playing style and you want more chord voicing recognition (including rootless) & playing style options, then GEM may not be the way to go. But who knows, we could be in for a surprise there too. I'll keep you posted. Re: Technics KN6500. I still think that Technics has the BEST chord recognition (full keyboard mode) for a jazz keyboard player. Even the Yamaha & Ketron-Solton SD1 cannot come close to Technics excellent chord recognition when playing in 'full keyboard' mode. In fact I've decided NOT to sell my KN5000 (yet) because I really need this when I REALLY want to 'get down' and play in a jazz piano style with both hands over the entire keyboard, while successfully triggering the correct accompaniment harmonies. If traditional jazz style keyboard (piano) playing is your thing, I think I would recommend the Technics KN6500, even though I think Technics has an over inflated pricing structure (at least here in the US). I'm keeping my eyes on Technics next model (KN7000) which may not arrive till the end of the year. Until then, I'm continuing to enjoy the Yamaha PSR2000.

Denny: the Yamaha MS400s are definitely another great sounding 'no hiss' amp. Great to hear they're working out for you. I just didn't consider them because they weigh the about the same as the Mackie 450s (53 lbs).

- Scott

Hey Donny: I just noticed that your original posting comment on this thread re: the Mackie 450's sound have been deleted ! I hope it wasn't Uncle Dave's comment that convinced you to remove it

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 01-09-2002).]

#109952 - 01/09/02 08:20 PM Re: Unpowered speakers - another question
Dnj Offline

Scott,

I deleted my post because maybe I didnt explain properly what I meant about the Mackie 450's being harsh. When I used them they sounded great overall fo larger venues. But when I was in a smaller situation, dinner restaurant, house party etc. where I needed a lighter but more Robust sound (like I get at low levels with the Sona 32's), I found them to be a bit too much especially the highs due to the wide horn. They do "KICK" at high volume, but you need to keep them on stands (verticle) to avoid Overheating and Amp Thermal Cuttoff when laying down in a Monitor position in hot sun or blazing stage lights.This happened to me a few times and was very embarrassing during a peformance on stage. Portability and Stacking is difficult due to their odd design shape also. They do weigh 23.2kg (51 lbs.) versus the Barbetta Sona 32's at 43lbs.
http://www.barbetta.com/Live/Sona_32/sona_32.html

In the end its what you like and what You think sounds good to your ears as a performer.

Donny NJ

PS: Uncle Dave is and will always be a GOD to me!!!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 01-09-2002).]

#109953 - 01/09/02 10:49 PM Re: Unpowered speakers - another question
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Donny - my post didn't make sense with your's gone, so I bagged it! Now you have to ax the Asian Buffet reply, or people will think you're nuts !
See ya Friday nite ???

#109954 - 01/09/02 11:39 PM Re: Unpowered speakers - another question
Mike H Offline

Scott - thanks for taking time to reply

I appreciate your comments on the EV's and Mackies - was also interested to read the post from the fella using Barbettas - though I have the 31 and not the 32 he does. I note the Ev's are only about 8 lbs. lighter than the Mackies - what do they cost - I can buy the Mackie 450's up here for 580 each. I do realize that perfection for all conditions is unrealistic so I might stick with the Barbies for the time being.

I do want to buy an arranger in the next 2 weeks. If chord recognition and sounds on the GEM are not great I will hold off there. If so - I have decided against the Technics 6500 - its 2495 at Sound Center in Mississippi - but where do I go for service in Alaska? - and dealing with Technics and Matsushita has been appalling for me - just trying to get dealer info. I believe that I will end up with an SD1 unless U-Dave convinces me that I can lift 49 pounds of psr9000pro as I get older. I must admit - I like the drum sounds on the SD1 better - but I like the strings and horns better on the 9000.

But I'll make a wager here - if the Genesys is ready - it will support full chord recognition options, it will have a fine sequencer, simple layout, straight forward ops, it will be vastly improved in the sound department, it will have full cross platform style conversion, video out, hard drive, and easy toggling between midi-playback and full on live arranger function, and perhaps the performance pads of the KN series.

Okay - a small wager -
regards
MH

#109955 - 01/09/02 11:57 PM Re: Unpowered speakers - another question
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike H:
I note the Ev's are only about 8 lbs. lighter than the Mackies - what do they cost

I realize that it's only an 8 lb difference per speaker, but it's not just the weight that seems to makes the difference, but the weight balance distribution and shape of the amp itself that makes the EVSxA100's so MUCH easier to transport. Zzounds.com has them for $499 each. You might be able to find an even lower price.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online