SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#109419 - 03/09/04 12:33 PM Arranger Styles
tracknet Offline

Hi
When someone arrives to buy an arranger, usually compares sounds, possibilities of kb, O.S., feeling, price, etc. but usually doesn’t give a great importance to "styles" (not only styles built into kb, but styles the manufacturer have in other kbs too).

But I think that is a important thing to consider. Because if someone doesn't like styles made by its kb manufacturer, he will have a difficult life with kb. To buy a kb without to consider if this person likes its styles isn’t a good decision. This person may think: ”well, I don't like them, but I like this kb sounds, and I will have converted styles from brands I like its styles; so, no problem”. But to have very good converted styles is not easy. And, at the end, a converted style don't sound as original.

So, I think is very important to consider what class of styles someone want. Yamaha styles? Roland ones? Korg?...

Sometimes, a reason for to buy a kb is that there are more styles in the net for it. But this 'quantity argument' is not an argument today. Now, it is easy to have all Roland kbs styles from the net, and a lot of conversions too. The same, and a lot more, with Yamahas. Technics let all KNs styles (near 1.000 styles) for free download. New Korgs let you use old Korg styles, and there are a lot of conversions too.

So, quantity is not the problem today. Quality remains.

Although all brands are going to have more similar styles today than ten years ago, I think some differences remain.

So, my question is:

What are the differences between Roland, Yamaha, Korg and Technics styles? I say differences about quality, richness, varied instrumentation, feeling, pleasure using them, inspiration to compose, better type of music for (rock, bigband, ballad, newage,…?). Which are more canned, or less boring, or richer, or sweeter...?

I would like very very much to know your sincere opinions about it.

Thanks.
Tracknet

#109420 - 03/09/04 02:05 PM Re: Arranger Styles
Bluebird Offline

It is a very interesting topic, Tracknet. And not much usual here.

I can't give a honest opinion, because I don't know different brand styles too much.
I only may say that (for my ears) Yamaha styles are the more usable ones, but not specially inspiring (too much simple ones).

Perhaps Synthzone members which know well different brands, or have a keyboard store, may give an opinion: Fran Carango, George Kaye, Dreamer, Dan, Don Mason...

I would like to read their opinions about this interesting topic.

#109421 - 03/09/04 02:36 PM Re: Arranger Styles
Dnj Offline

They are mostly all good, I see you left out Ketron....it all about how you play them, edit them, tweak them, use other manufactureres converted styles in your kb, etc etc ...there is NO definitive answer here....this will lead to another "My Kb is better then Your Kb"..Save yourself some grief... go to the stores & listen, play and make your own decisions about them IMO

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 03-09-2004).]

#109422 - 03/09/04 06:57 PM Re: Arranger Styles
trtjazz Offline

Donny
100% agreement here. Sounmd advice.....pun intended.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 03-09-2004).]

#109423 - 03/09/04 07:40 PM Re: Arranger Styles
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
How I see the topic of styles.

1-Get to know the styles in the keyboard you own.
2-Discover the different ways you can alter them. A-Changing volumes
B-Changing the instruments/drum sets
C-Simplify the style

If you have the time and desire you can learn how to change a bass line, or vari the volumes of the different bass notes, or select a different bass.

The same for the drums
The same for the other instruments

What am I saying? Simply, be creative, use your imagination. If it does not sound right when you're done with the changes, try again.
Here lies the enjoyment of your keyboard, you are limited only by your imagination.

My first try was with the song The Electric Slide. There wasn't a style in my keyboard that fit that song. But there were a few that were close. After making my chnages what I ended up with was acceptable. My knowledge of creating styles has improved since my first try, now the styles I create are more than acceptable.

I find it more work to go through the hundreds of styles I've downloaded than creating a new one. And the bottom line,
it's my creation. (Or improvement on the factory style). Either way, it's me.

This is not for everybody, only those who love to experiment, to create.

Now that's a bit away from the original topic, but I feel you buy what sounds best to you, then learn and create, Your answer is not in other's opinions, but in you and what you hear and feel

I tried, John C.

#109424 - 03/10/04 10:17 AM Re: Arranger Styles
Free Agent Offline

Loc: Canada
So, quantity is not the problem today. Quality remains.

Although all brands are going to have more similar styles today than ten years ago, I think some differences remain.

So, my question is:

What are the differences between Roland, Yamaha, Korg and Technics styles? I say differences about quality, richness, varied instrumentation, feeling, pleasure using them, inspiration to compose, better type of music for (rock, bigband, ballad, newage,…?). Which are more canned, or less boring, or richer, or sweeter...?

I would like very very much to know your sincere opinions about it.

Thanks.
Tracknet[/B][/QUOTE]

As a future ex-Technics sales manager in Canada, my job was amongst others, to test and play competitors models. In my opinion, Ketron has the best overall styles on the market. The overall quality is the most consistent and natural. If I had to pick one arranger and play it live using the internal styles, it'd be a Ketron. I would not even consider modifying what's in there.
We HAD in the past few years, in order to promote the new KN flagship models, to have styles programmed by one of the musicians who was on the Technics programming team, in order to cope for some of Technics weaknesses in the styles department. With these patterns, high-end KN's were a real success in our area.
You are right about the styles being probably the most important aspect of an arranger keyboard. If you want sounds only, buy a synth or a module.
You are also right about the quantity of NC styles available, but with a very low quality.

Hope that my comments help.

#109425 - 03/10/04 12:27 PM Re: Arranger Styles
tracknet Offline

Quote:
In my opinion, Ketron has the best overall styles on the market.
You are right about the quantity of NC styles available, but with a very low quality.[/B]

Thanks for your comments.

But, which are "NC styles"?

And, what is your opinion about Roland and Yamaha styles?

#109426 - 03/10/04 12:43 PM Re: Arranger Styles
Free Agent Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by tracknet:
Thanks for your comments.

But, which are "NC styles"?

And, what is your opinion about Roland and Yamaha styles?

NC: Styles that you get for free (No Charge).

Roland vs Yamaha styles: I.M.O Yamaha is the manufacturer that has improved their styles the most over the last few years. For some reason, Roland that once had the best styles (some will remember the E70 days) has lost ground, especially since their kbds production moved from Japan to Italy some years ago.

#109427 - 03/10/04 03:27 PM Re: Arranger Styles
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Free Agent:
Roland that once had the best styles (some will remember the E70 days) has lost ground, especially since their kbds production moved from Japan to Italy some years ago.

Amazing... Ketron is produced in Italy too and yet their development team produces the 'best' styles according to you.

Roland apparently doesn't have the quality programmers that Ketron does even though they're both located in the same Country and possibly the same city. Go figure.

And Roland hasn't offered a high end Arranger since the VA-76 came out several (3) years ago. The recently released low end EXR-3 and 5 is the best they can do for now. Maybe they've given up on the high end Arranger market altogether seeing that the VA-76 was such a sales flop for them. Too bad because competition or lack thereof is what makes or breaks the consumer.

Best regards,
Mike

#109428 - 03/10/04 03:52 PM Re: Arranger Styles
Free Agent Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by keybplayer:
Amazing... Ketron is produced in Italy too and yet their development team produces the 'best' styles according to you.

Roland apparently doesn't have the quality programmers that Ketron does even though they're both located in the same Country and possibly the same city. Go figure.

And Roland hasn't offered a high end Arranger since the VA-76 came out several (3) years ago. The recently released low end EXR-3 and 5 is the best they can do for now. Maybe they've given up on the high end Arranger market altogether seeing that the VA-76 was such a sales flop for them. Too bad because competition or lack thereof is what makes or breaks the consumer.

Best regards,
Mike

Good point about Italy. But the country of origin doesn't mean much. What matters is the people behind the product, whatever the country.
Ketron comes from Italy
Roland arranger kbds come from Italy
General Music is an Italian company
Korg PA series (PA80/60) come from Italy. Not sure about the PA1X. The PA50 is assembled in China...

Good point about Roland: nothing much new from them on the arranger side, BUT... I have been told at the NAMM Show that Roland is building its own plant in China, and that many future very good products that should have been built in Europe have been delayed, in order to get lower manufacturing costs/selling prices txs to their future Chinese production.

Mike, I am totally neutral about products. .

All I'm passing is my personal opinion, combined with extensive knowledge of manufacturers / products.

Know what? True IMO that Ketron has the best styles, but also very true that their products ergonomy is probably the worst on the market. Takes a while to find your way with knobs and OS. But there's one sure thing: the way the product is distributed in North America doesn't match Ketron's overall musical quality.

Guess that it'd be fun to have the top contenders (not only the better known brands) side by side for styles comparisons, and as far as I know on this forum, DanO and George Kaye can address this test, since they seem to carry many brands.

Regards,

Free Agent

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online