SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#109123 - 05/09/06 01:14 PM OT/...Sluggish Laptop Performance HELP PC Gerus!!!!!?
Dnj Offline

lately my laptop peformance Win xp Prof has been a bit sluggish......takes a while to get on sites, open files, etc etc read and compose email......and I have cable too Arggggg!

is there a way to do some kind maintenace and get it up to speed so it will perform faster like it used to.....like clean out things... I used to be able to just click away and bang bang bang!!!!!or maybe shut off prog working in the back ground or whatever? Im no PC Geru But I NEED MORE SPEED like it used to be!!!!
Any help or advice appreciated....

Thanx

#109124 - 05/09/06 02:05 PM Re: OT/...Sluggish Laptop Performance HELP PC Gerus!!!!!?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hello Dnj
1. When you are on the web next, do a search for Broadband Speed Test to locate a free speed test utility, (There may be a problem with your cable connection) if the speed is low, restart your computer and your cable modem, and try again. (Remember some times of the day are busier them others, if problem persists call your cable guy)
2. Uninstall any programs you do not need.
3. Run the Disc Cleanup Utility.
4. Run the Defragmenter Utility.
(Both programs can be found by clicking Start/Programs/Accessories/System tools)
5. Please remember the main reason that your computer runs fast when new, is because there is nothing on it.
6. If you do need a lot of programs, then increasing the amount of Ram usually helps. (If the computer runs out of Ram it swaps the program to the hard drive, which is much slower then Ram)
7. Yes there are utilities out there that claim to improve performance, (Norton System Works is one, but there are plenty of others) and to a certain extent they do work, just dont expect miracles. (In spite of what you read in the Sales Pitch)
8. If you feel a bit bolder, you can also get Registry cleaners, but make sure you save it first and create a Restore Point. (The Registry is to your computer, what the control rods are to a nuclear power station)
Hope this helps.

Bill

#109125 - 05/09/06 02:22 PM Re: OT/...Sluggish Laptop Performance HELP PC Gerus!!!!!?
TwoNuts Offline

Loc: Vancouver, Washington. USA
OR.....

Go to Microsoft.com and download the new Windows Defender program now in its Beta-2 Testing. You get it for free and it will help locate garbage that is on your computer and should make it fast again.

Simple.

Dennis L. Almond
aka...TwoNuts

Dennis L. Almond
aka...TwoNuts

#109126 - 05/09/06 02:25 PM Re: OT/...Sluggish Laptop Performance HELP PC Gerus!!!!!?
TwoNuts Offline

Loc: Vancouver, Washington. USA
Also...if you get a chance.

Pictures of your new case. Demensions. Anything like that would be cool.

Thanks,

Dennis L. Almond
aka...TwoNuts

Dennis L. Almond
aka...TwoNuts

#109127 - 05/09/06 02:54 PM Re: OT/...Sluggish Laptop Performance HELP PC Gerus!!!!!?
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Disable McAfee Virus Scan version 8.0 or above and let me know if things improve.

This virus protection software has reported problems.

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#109128 - 05/09/06 06:12 PM Re: OT/...Sluggish Laptop Performance HELP PC Gerus!!!!!?
cajun100 Offline

Loc: Mill Valley, CA USA
Here is one of a handful of legitimate "clean up" utilities that are safe. Read help file, 'tho and make sure you aren't getting rid of critical cookies, etc.
http://www.stevengould.org/software/cleanup/

I use this with XP Pro and it does help a lot --
Do you use "Adware" or something similar in addition to a virus checker? If not, might consider this -- "adware" and "spyware" can REALLY choke up your machine.

#109129 - 05/09/06 06:52 PM Re: OT/...Sluggish Laptop Performance HELP PC Gerus!!!!!?
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
hit Contol, Alt, Delete and it will bring up windows Task Manager. click on Processes and look under the cpu heading and see which program is taking all your cpu.
I usuaally find my problem is mail washer pro so I just end it's process and then I have a full speed computer again.
BEbop

#109130 - 05/09/06 07:10 PM Re: OT/...Sluggish Laptop Performance HELP PC Gerus!!!!!?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
All good advice DNJ. The Steven Gould site is a good one.

Here's what I do:
Run the Microsoft System Configuration manager by clicking Start→Run and entering msconfig.

Click the Startup tab and press Disable All, then selectively turn the stuff back on that you need. Id leave your anti-virus email scanner running but you probably dont need anything else.

Good luck

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 05-09-2006).]

#109131 - 05/09/06 08:38 PM Re: OT/...Sluggish Laptop Performance HELP PC Gerus!!!!!?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Stephenm52:
Here's what I do:
Run the Microsoft System Configuration manager by clicking StartRunc and entering msconfig.

Click the Startup tab and press Disable All, then selectively turn the stuff back on that you need. Ifd leave your anti-virus email scanner running but you probably donft need anything else.

Steve.....I followed your advice & it really helped alot its running much faster now...thanx for the help everyone I apreciate it.

Question....down the road wil those programs that I disabled start up again by themselves or? how often do you have to do this process?

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 05-09-2006).]

#109132 - 05/09/06 09:47 PM Re: OT/...Sluggish Laptop Performance HELP PC Gerus!!!!!?
born2die Offline

Loc: england
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Steve.....I followed your advice & it really helped alot its running much faster now...thanx for the help everyone I apreciate it.

Question....down the road wil those programs that I disabled start up again by themselves or? how often do you have to do this process?

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 05-09-2006).]

Hi I run Spybot search and destroy once a week, CCleaner twice a week and startup inspector. These are free programms and I find that they keep the performance of my pc top notch you can get these from downloads.com or from many other sites just google. Also if you want a better defrag tool than windows provides then I can recommend diskeeper hope this helps also try registry cleaner but when you clean the registry just make sure what you are deleteing and always make a backup

hope this helps

tris

#109133 - 05/10/06 12:05 AM Re: OT/...Sluggish Laptop Performance HELP PC Gerus!!!!!?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hello Dnj
Re-enable everything in MSconfig Start-up, it is used for troubleshooting and loading various programs that require a clean boot to install, it must NEVER be used as a long term solution, this is because the names in there do not always the relate to the program, and you may therefore disable some security features, which will make your computer open to attack. (If you stick to the standard interface programs you should be ok)
If you dont believe me, just work in a computer support centre for a few days, the horror stories will amaze you.
Hope this helps.

Bill

#109134 - 05/10/06 03:28 AM Re: OT/...Sluggish Laptop Performance HELP PC Gerus!!!!!?
Dnj Offline

Bill I pretty much disabled everything exept my Panda Titanium Anti Virus program......my LT if really quick now......thanx for the advice.

#109135 - 05/10/06 03:28 AM Re: OT/...Sluggish Laptop Performance HELP PC Gerus!!!!!?
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Once you get your stuff cleaned up... Nothing wrong with keeping unnecessary apps at bay on bootup using msconfig.. if you follow two simple rules..

One : Know what you are shutting off. ( If you're not sure there are some good articles in some of the Computer music related sites .. you might try a search at KVR )

Two: Pro studios and Music Pros who rely on Computers for their work should NEVER use these machines on the internet.

I probably don't fit into either category right now, but in spite of that, I have an older HP PC that functions as my internet machine. My other music PC and my Laptop never see the 'net, and all of the add on software that I don't need is gone.

When I want to d/l a program to put onto either of my music machines, I use the old HP machine, then scan the files for spyware nd viruses. Only then they are transferred to my dedicated machines via Usb thumb drive.

AJ

#109136 - 05/10/06 04:49 AM Re: OT/...Sluggish Laptop Performance HELP PC Gerus!!!!!?
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

AJ, I take the same approach...my music computer never ever touches the net.

#109137 - 05/10/06 04:55 AM Re: OT/...Sluggish Laptop Performance HELP PC Gerus!!!!!?
Stephenm52 Offline

Donny:

I have had most everything shut off in in startup for sometime without problems. I also use other utilites to keep a check on things.

You may want to check out this link, it's from a tech guy named Leo Laporte. He's run various shows through out the years on Tech TV now on KFI radio in LA. He's also authored a number of books on tech. I have listened to this guy for years and he is very credible. Just so happened on one of his recent shows he had a caller who had problems like yours with slow start up. Below you'll find the link to the comment I quoted to you.

Msconfig Link

#109138 - 05/11/06 04:37 AM Re: OT/...Sluggish Laptop Performance HELP PC Gerus!!!!!?
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
I'm using MacAffee Security Suite for Virus Scanner, Firewall, Privacy, Spyware detection.

BUT

I've un-installed the Spam filter. It is a huge resource and (especially) processor hog and I didn't find it adding much value to my shedload of anti-spam rules in Outlook; in fact I was always checking the spam it had removed to see if I agreed with it - and usually found myself disagreeing.

#109139 - 05/11/06 05:33 AM Re: OT/...Sluggish Laptop Performance HELP PC Gerus!!!!!?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Actually, you can run msconfig, click on the startup tab, turn off everything, reboot and you won't have any problems running all your programs. The only thing that I keep running is my AVG antivirus program, which has been rated as the best available by a number of computer magazines. And, my laptop, music computer NEVER goes on the Internet other than to update my AVG software. I've been running this way for more than a year with absolutely no prolems, and the PC is lightning fast. The best thing I did to improve the speed was get rid of McAfee.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#109140 - 05/11/06 05:38 AM Re: OT/...Sluggish Laptop Performance HELP PC Gerus!!!!!?
Guardman2001 Offline

Go to Pitstop.com and run a full test. It's free and will give you the scoop on what's happening on your laptop. I use Panda.com virus software (it's free) I get the update and run a scan about once a month or more if I suspect I might have a problem.

#109141 - 05/11/06 07:28 AM Re: OT/...Sluggish Laptop Performance HELP PC Gerus!!!!!?
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Pitstop.com is a race car site.
Eddie

#109142 - 05/11/06 04:37 PM Re: OT/...Sluggish Laptop Performance HELP PC Gerus!!!!!?
Stephenm52 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by btweengigs:
Pitstop.com is a race car site.
Eddie

Try this one: http://pcpitstop.com/

#109143 - 05/13/06 09:43 AM Re: OT/...Sluggish Laptop Performance HELP PC Gerus!!!!!?
Dnj Offline

Ok My Lt is running fastr now thanx to all the great help here .

BUT.........now I have another question
When I send something to the printer I always have to wait an average of about 2-3 minutes before it starts printing!!!! Argggg! WHY? If I do multi pages it takes for ever also...

#109144 - 05/13/06 11:50 PM Re: OT/...Sluggish Laptop Performance HELP PC Gerus!!!!!?
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
DNJ. Most printers if they have not been used for a few days run a Head Clean before printing which is most likely the delay. This is just another way of the manufacturer dumping ink so you buy cartridges more oftern !!!

#109145 - 05/14/06 05:33 AM Re: OT/...Sluggish Laptop Performance HELP PC Gerus!!!!!?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Donny,

This may have something to do with your printer's memory capacity. If the documents you hope to print have lots of graphics, the print job will be somewhat slow when using older printers with little memory capacity. Some of the newer, more expensive printers have considerably larger memories, thereby improving the time it takes for the print task to begin by a significant margin. If you are only printing text documents, and using standard fonts, the print job should go fairly fast.

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#109146 - 05/14/06 06:36 AM Re: OT/...Sluggish Laptop Performance HELP PC Gerus!!!!!?
Dnj Offline

Ok Out with the old ..., IN with the new

Im using a HP 940C I guess its time for a new one eh?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online