SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#109133 - 05/10/06 12:05 AM Re: OT/...Sluggish Laptop Performance HELP PC Gerus!!!!!?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hello Dnj
Re-enable everything in MSconfig Start-up, it is used for troubleshooting and loading various programs that require a clean boot to install, it must NEVER be used as a long term solution, this is because the names in there do not always the relate to the program, and you may therefore disable some security features, which will make your computer open to attack. (If you stick to the standard interface programs you should be ok)
If you don’t believe me, just work in a computer support centre for a few days, the horror stories will amaze you.
Hope this helps.

Bill

#109134 - 05/10/06 03:28 AM Re: OT/...Sluggish Laptop Performance HELP PC Gerus!!!!!?
Dnj Offline

Bill I pretty much disabled everything exept my Panda Titanium Anti Virus program......my LT if really quick now......thanx for the advice.

#109135 - 05/10/06 03:28 AM Re: OT/...Sluggish Laptop Performance HELP PC Gerus!!!!!?
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Once you get your stuff cleaned up... Nothing wrong with keeping unnecessary apps at bay on bootup using msconfig.. if you follow two simple rules..

One : Know what you are shutting off. ( If you're not sure there are some good articles in some of the Computer music related sites .. you might try a search at KVR )

Two: Pro studios and Music Pros who rely on Computers for their work should NEVER use these machines on the internet.

I probably don't fit into either category right now, but in spite of that, I have an older HP PC that functions as my internet machine. My other music PC and my Laptop never see the 'net, and all of the add on software that I don't need is gone.

When I want to d/l a program to put onto either of my music machines, I use the old HP machine, then scan the files for spyware nd viruses. Only then they are transferred to my dedicated machines via Usb thumb drive.

AJ

#109136 - 05/10/06 04:49 AM Re: OT/...Sluggish Laptop Performance HELP PC Gerus!!!!!?
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

AJ, I take the same approach...my music computer never ever touches the net.

#109137 - 05/10/06 04:55 AM Re: OT/...Sluggish Laptop Performance HELP PC Gerus!!!!!?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Donny:

I have had most everything shut off in in startup for sometime without problems. I also use other utilites to keep a check on things.

You may want to check out this link, it's from a tech guy named Leo Laporte. He's run various shows through out the years on Tech TV now on KFI radio in LA. He's also authored a number of books on tech. I have listened to this guy for years and he is very credible. Just so happened on one of his recent shows he had a caller who had problems like yours with slow start up. Below you'll find the link to the comment I quoted to you.

Msconfig Link

#109138 - 05/11/06 04:37 AM Re: OT/...Sluggish Laptop Performance HELP PC Gerus!!!!!?
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
I'm using MacAffee Security Suite for Virus Scanner, Firewall, Privacy, Spyware detection.

BUT

I've un-installed the Spam filter. It is a huge resource and (especially) processor hog and I didn't find it adding much value to my shedload of anti-spam rules in Outlook; in fact I was always checking the spam it had removed to see if I agreed with it - and usually found myself disagreeing.

#109139 - 05/11/06 05:33 AM Re: OT/...Sluggish Laptop Performance HELP PC Gerus!!!!!?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Actually, you can run msconfig, click on the startup tab, turn off everything, reboot and you won't have any problems running all your programs. The only thing that I keep running is my AVG antivirus program, which has been rated as the best available by a number of computer magazines. And, my laptop, music computer NEVER goes on the Internet other than to update my AVG software. I've been running this way for more than a year with absolutely no prolems, and the PC is lightning fast. The best thing I did to improve the speed was get rid of McAfee.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#109140 - 05/11/06 05:38 AM Re: OT/...Sluggish Laptop Performance HELP PC Gerus!!!!!?
Guardman2001 Offline

Go to Pitstop.com and run a full test. It's free and will give you the scoop on what's happening on your laptop. I use Panda.com virus software (it's free) I get the update and run a scan about once a month or more if I suspect I might have a problem.

#109141 - 05/11/06 07:28 AM Re: OT/...Sluggish Laptop Performance HELP PC Gerus!!!!!?
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Pitstop.com is a race car site.
Eddie

#109142 - 05/11/06 04:37 PM Re: OT/...Sluggish Laptop Performance HELP PC Gerus!!!!!?
Stephenm52 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by btweengigs:
Pitstop.com is a race car site.
Eddie

Try this one: http://pcpitstop.com/

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online