SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#109020 - 02/18/02 06:00 PM Re: EV SxA100s Too Weak?
deatonent Offline

Loc: Tazewell, VA, USA
After receiving several helpful responses it seems that neither the X1 nor the 9000 Pro put out sufficient line level voltage needed by the EV powered speakers. Thus, I need some form of pre amp. I discovered a "Pre Out" on the back of my Roland Cube-60 and used that at my last gig. While it worked fine for loudness, it limited me to mono and if I turned up the volume on the Cube-60 It turned up the EVs also. So, in order to achieve what I'm looking for I've been advised to get a small mixer. Now remember, I went to the powered speakers to "simplify" and "lighten" my gig rig. In order avoid carrying in a pa head I'm now carrying in and setting up two speaker stands and two long power cords to get AC to the speakers. That being the case I want to keep the mixer small. I have a nice Mackie 1402 but it's a bit "overkill" for my live setup. I was wondering about the Behringer MX602A. Does it put out sufficient line voltage? Is it small enough to sit on the keyboard (X1 0r 9000 Pro) or am I going to have to carry a table or stand on which to place it?
Thanks,
Deaton

#109021 - 02/18/02 07:12 PM Re: EV SxA100s Too Weak?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
The 602 is narrow, but quite long to sit on a keyboard. I have another idea - try a MIDIMAN - audiobuddy. It's a 2 channel preamp made for mic or line level signals - very tiny, and VERY hot output! XLR and 1/4". I have one, and it really works well!

#109022 - 02/20/02 08:48 AM Re: EV SxA100s Too Weak?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Deaton,
I have the same problem with X4 and Hughes & Kettner LUCAS amplifier. X4's signal is too weak, so, in large venues, I use a very small mixer in the middle to ajust signal levels. It's a Folio Notepad, Spirit by Soundcraft, with 4 mono channels (2 band equalizer in each channel) and two stereo, with no equalization. There is an optional accessoire to mount the mixer in a mic stand. Very light and small.
José.

#109023 - 02/20/02 09:42 AM Re: EV SxA100s Too Weak?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
try a MIDIMAN - audiobuddy. It's a 2 channel preamp made for mic or line level signals - very tiny, and VERY hot output! XLR and 1/4". I have one, and it really works well!

Intriguing idea , as it's MUCH lighter & smaller than the Mackie 1202. I'm seriously considering going the AudioBuddy route now for the larger gigs where more volume is required.

Uncle Dave, do you recommend going out the PSR2000's L/R 'main outs' or using the 2000's Aux (fixed level) RCA outs to the Audio Buddy? Does it matter as far as sound quality is concerned?

Is there any 'sound quality' advantage to using the PSR200's fixed level RCA outputs to the Audio Buddy? This method would require that the Audio Buddy be situated on or next to the KB, for volume control access.

It would be far more convenient (and preferable) to control the overall volume from the PSR2000's 'master volume knob' allowing the AudioBuddy to be placed 'anywhere', but this requires going out the 2000's 'main outs'.

Even though the Audio Buddy was specifically designed for the studio as a mic preamp I'm probably going to continue to route my vocals thru the 2000's mic eq/efx section and go out with the keyboard sounds. I hope that the Audio Buddy isn't too delicate to withstand the rigors of gigging.

Uncle Dave, before actually purchasing the Audio Buddy, I was hoping to get more detailed SETUP advice from you using it with the PSR2000 & EVSX100's setup.

Thanks, - Scott

#109024 - 02/20/02 12:24 PM Re: EV SxA100s Too Weak?
Uncle Dave Offline

SCott,
First of all, the audio buddy has mic inputs AND line inputs. It's a TWO trick pony.
Secondly, I prefer to use the rca outs, so the kb monitor is separate from the main. I hear no difference in tone or quality, just makes it easier to make "me" happy on stage.
This is a very well made unit - all metal construction, but super tiny. It may even velcro to your stand or sit ontop of the kb with some rubber feet.
I'm going to use it this week and I'll tell you all about it.

#109025 - 02/20/02 01:04 PM Re: EV SxA100s Too Weak?
Dnj Offline

http://www.midiman.net/products/m-audio/audibudy.php

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 02-20-2002).]

#109026 - 02/20/02 02:18 PM Re: EV SxA100s Too Weak?
Uncle Dave Offline

Whew - watchin' Donny work is givin' me whiplash !

#109027 - 02/20/02 02:48 PM Re: EV SxA100s Too Weak?
flowerssupply Offline

Loc: Ireland
I wonder do any of you have or know about e 15 Dynacord speakers -- I use them 15 speaker and excellent horn.
I tested these with stage 200 or is it 2000 EVs and they are way ahead in regard to drum , piano, I'm not sure re voice. They are about 8 years old and I still find them to be great. However I wonder would sub and tops be much better -- I use powermate 1000 spowered mixer. Pierce

#109028 - 02/21/02 11:54 AM Re: EV SxA100s Too Weak?
danb Offline

Is the Audio Buddy better than Rolls Playmate? How small is this Audio Buddy?

#109029 - 02/21/02 10:45 PM Re: EV SxA100s Too Weak?
Uncle Dave Offline

Same size as the playmate. It's a toss up really - the Rolls has more switches on it, so I guess it might be a better buy, but the audio buddy is a great mic preamp too. You gotta try them.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online