Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#108795 - 01/02/11 05:36 PM Re: Bands versus Arranger Keyboard Players
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by The Pro:
I've been playing solo with an arranger and with sequences for a solid four years now. That means I've had four consecutive years with no excuses for bad music. No tempo problems, no overplaying by the guitarists, no egos to stroke, no problems with the band drinking or showing up late or getting bored or finally meeting the girl of their dreams who doesn't want them to play anymore right when you need them the most... how many reasons can YOU name why musicians can't or won't do their job?

I'll tell you the very best thing about having an arranger keyboard on stage with a band... it makes the band acutely aware that they can either be replaced or you can leave whenever you want and gig without them (and possibly in place of them). Were it not for that threat their overconfidence would mean they would hold your living at risk constantly, and they know it... they even flaunt it. And yeah, the fact that I've developed near-perfect timing also makes them aware that they'd better be on their toes if they don't want to look like rank amateurs. Musos may view arranger users as a threat - but is it because they think some robot will take their jobs, or is it because they secretly think their own flaws will become more apparent if they play next to you?

And BTW: I keep seeing these jabs at people who use sequences - some here and definitely more on other keyboard-related forums. Today's jab is from "Rog" who equates sequencing to "faking it". I guess he's joking but frankly I don't care if this is meant to be funny or not - it's really rubs me the wrong way to see keyboardists, of all people, putting down sequence users. I see no difference between using an arranger, where each measure is sequenced and you just switch between short sequences at will, or using an entire pre-sequenced song. Some of us work hard to develop our midi files, which is an artform in and of itself. Actually being able to entertain while using sequences is another unique talent... it takes balls to walk onto a big empty stage in front of a room full of people with nothing but a keyboard and some sequences, and something more to pull the gig off that way. Not one of my employers has ever implied that I am faking anything by using sequences or an arranger keyboard, so why are keyboard players doing it?

[This message has been edited by The Pro (edited 03-20-2005).]
Thank you for saying what you said i am one who does about 200 dates a year or more and i use midi files and i have never sounded better i play with them and my following love it so you are right on . and i am a real Musican and not a faker thanks Again i was starting to get offended untill i read your post well said.

#108796 - 01/02/11 06:52 PM Re: Bands versus Arranger Keyboard Players
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
I'd be more interested in how many arranger players can actually play along with a drummer, a GOOD drummer. You guys make all drummers seem incompetent.

Someone that's never played with a drummer and is addicted to playing along onboard styles had better pass at the opportunity unless he's willing to face the music...so to speak. Ha! Ha!

Sure, an onboard style may seem to have perfect timing but it's that "perfect" timing that makes it automated. They don't call it automatic accompaniment for nothing.

If it's indeed "perfect timing", why do bands, be it Rock bands, symphonic orchestras, and the likes insist on having a human drummer? After all, they'll have one less to split the monies. Because it can't do what a human drummer can. Simple as that. A human -even an inhumane - drummer can improvise on the fly, add embellishments, give a rousing solo, change tempo at the snap of a finger. An arranger style is statically predefined.

Oh, and a drummer can play bare-chested, flex his biceps, twirl his drumsticks (the non-edible kind unless you're a woodworm or termite) and, most importantly, get chicks. Why else do you think Chas picked up drumming?

JMHO

Taike

------------------
Bo pen nyang

[This message has been edited by Taike (edited 01-02-2011).]

#108797 - 01/03/11 01:41 PM Re: Bands versus Arranger Keyboard Players
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
first up, I've never " Performed ", with a band, midifiles or an arranger.
As an outsider looking in, what difference does it really make what the backing is, as long as you're doing your part.

I remember when midifiles first came out
(late 80's , I think), I was paying $30 per midifile. I had very few. haahaa
I was happy when I bought my first keyboard, I had backing.
Eventually midifiles, as the hobbyist market grew, got way cheaper. A lot of them wouldn't have been suited for the pro market, but for me as a hobbyist, they were ok, I was able to play along on my piano. (Personally, I found playing along with piano, more difficult than playing the arranger.)

One disadvantage I would imagine in using a midifile, versus keyboard , is that the performance is set, unless you have some sort of function, to be able to extend the performance if required.
On my Korg , I sort of found a way around it by cutting a midifile into sections and triggering them in style play mode.

By the sounds of things, each of the methods, live band backing, midifiles, arranger playing , has it's pro's & cons.
Main thing is, you're doing what works for you, and you're out there performing. Congratulations.

best wishes
Rikki

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 01-03-2011).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#108798 - 01/03/11 03:05 PM Re: Bands versus Arranger Keyboard Players
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Amen Rikki
That is how many of us see it.
Bernie