SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#108368 - 07/11/02 11:38 PM Re: Best arrager with best rhythm styles.
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I pretty much concur with all of Don Mason's assessments. The Technics KN boards biggest strength is its Big Band & Jazz styles, and that it BEST recognizes in 'full keyboard mode', jazz piano (chord recognition) of any other arranger currently out there. The reason I love the Yamaha PSR2000 (as well as the 9000pro) is because it includes a good cross section of usable styles that compliment (yet don't outshine & compete with) my live' keyboard playing . Ketron's impressive SD1's styles 'knock me off my feet' with lots of punch, and are terrific for contemporary pop & rock, but seems a bit too 'in your face' for more traditional lounge jazz & older classic standards (my specialty), which require more rhythm section subtlety. I imported my favorite custom Technics lounge-jazz styles into my Yamaha PSR2000 so now feel like I have the 'perfect backup band'in a 'single' box. Will I remain satisfied with my PSR2000 or eventually add the Ketron XD9 or SD1, and/or the Technics KN7000/Yamaha Tyros? Only time will tell, but hey, for now, I still love making music & gigging on my PSR2000, and isn't THIS what's it's all about? - Scott

#108369 - 07/12/02 09:42 AM Re: Best arrager with best rhythm styles.
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Scott,

Thanks for your candid appraisal. Ketron's styles seems to be the ones to definitely look into for adding to existing styles. In today's market one must be able to play pop and rock altho not my most favorite, I'm beginning to warm up to it. As far as I can gather from the very thoughtful and experienced guys here who have been through the mill, so to speak, the bottom line seems to be - Customize the board that you like most as your base. In other words start with the board you most like to operate and has the features and styles you most need and like and then add what is lacking. Guess I kind of knew it all along.

Ruthie has a habit of looking over my shoulder for a while when she passes by. This morning at the breakfast table she proceeded to set me straight. I read what you said yesterday about the best arranger being the best whatever. Baloney, she said. Your problem is you got the fever. Also a bad case of the itch. What in the name of heaven got under your skin this morning, I said between burps. Blotting the egg yolk off my chin I made some remark about her getting out on the wrong side of the bed or something this morning and belched, OK, lets have it, get it off your chest. Leave my chest out of it, you got the fever bad and the itch is driving you crazy. What are you talking about woman, I exploded. All them circulars and magazines about the new model cars coming out this fall. All the red marker pencils used up circling the horsepower and the new gadgets and stuff. Add to all that junk the time you spent the last week looking for poop sheets on all them new musical boards their going to try to sell you. Can’t get you to do anything around here when you get this way. Now Ruthie, be nice. It’s only every three years or so I get the fever. After all, I got to soothe the itch somehow. It’s only good sense to ask the guys in the know if I’m making the right choices. Experience is the best teacher they say. Might as well tap into some of it, It’s free!! It’s beyond me why men get this bug every so often. Just drives me up a wall, she added. Ruthie Ruthie I suggested shaking my head. Remember your moods you used to have every month? Life is life is life. Remember the porch, the swing, the times, the moments? Things will pass, were still here, you and me. Rising from the table and shaking the crumbs off. our eyes met, a soft smile slowly developed from her soft wrinkled lips and after a warm knowing embrace she done the dishes, went up stairs, made the bed and took the dirty clothes down to the basement. I shuffled over to the computer, booted up and am now thanking you all for your patience in helping me over this time in my life. Yes Scotty, as you so aptly put it - Isn’t this what it’s all about!!!

Grandpa Doug

#108370 - 07/12/02 12:30 PM Re: Best arrager with best rhythm styles.
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Hi Douglas,

I know about your fever. I have it too waiting for the XD9/XD3 and the new Tyros.
Like Scott and you I used to be a huge Technics fan and switched to Yamaha a while back.
I think the important question here is: what do you want to do with it and what kind of music do you play.
As Don and Scott have already pointed out Ketron Styles are certainly more alive.

When Andrea came down to S. California we had 3 boards to try side by side: 9000Pro, X4 (X1) and KN6000.
When I played around with some of the Ketron X4 styles, everybody started to tap their foot. They were very alive, but as I have said before, not too many songs came to mind with the styles I played, even though I had a blast improvising.
I bought the 9000Pro because the styles fit a vast genere of music. Plus if you use vocals, you don't want to have the styles overpower your singing and do a solo gig.

The live drums on the 9000 are very good, as they are in most boards today.
I would really suggest you listen to the styles in each board for a while and think about the music you are playing.

The new Tyros promises more in your face styles. The styles in the new 2000 are already a vast improvement over the 9000 styles.

You can also add a XD3 module, which will give you acces to the Ketron styles (one of my considerations right now).

Since the new Genesys, the XD9 and the new Tyros are on the horizon, I would deffinately wait, since they promise to be a step up in sound technology. We'll see

Eric

#108371 - 07/12/02 02:21 PM Re: Best arrager with best rhythm styles.
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Douglas Dean:
Dave I know who and what I am. After all I have lived with myself quite a few years.

Seems I can't say anything without someone misinterpreting it. (Scott Yee won't even talk to me any more. He thinks I've flipped my lid or something. Oh well...)
I was "lightly" suggesting that your profile showed you to be a One-Brand-Man. There was no mention of woodwinds or Rolands or anything else. Just MANY Technics models. Easy mistake.

I am a true fan of your writing style, and I will continue to read about the "adventures of Doug & Ruthie" with great anticipation, but I think I'll refrain from the advice column for a while. Things get too heated up too often, and I hate to be at the center of the debate on every issue.

Like you, I know who I am, and what my strengths are, so I will settle back into the dusty confines of my little "hectic" world of family, entertainment, and friends. I think too much time is wasted on these discussions anyway. It would be far more beneficial to drive to the nearest superstore and put your hands on all the items you are curious about. If more time was spent on the performance and less on the evaluations - we'd have better players all over.

The "One man Band" mentality has changed a lot in the past 15 years, and now that so many are attracted to it from other areas of music, there is a huge flood of keyboard owners, and only a tiny puddle of actual players. I've given advice and many secrets of my success for over three years without asking for a thing in return. If I seem to be bugging everyone with my "sometimes twisted" sense of wit - I apologize, but I cannot change what anyone thinks. My world has been one of full time music since 1969, and I have a lot to share. It's a shame that some people are trying to "read into" my words and are missing the point. That being : I love music, and I have a firm grasp on the business end of show biz, as well as the artistic end. I'd love to chit chat about the latest, greatest thing every day, but the fact remains ...... there is alot of real junk being sold today and a lot of really terrible players trying to make money in a business that they have NO business being in.

Now, before anyone gets bent outta shape about THAT comment - it has NOTHING to do with anyone specific. I'm generalizing about the overflow of "wanna-be" singers and DJ's that are buying a keyboard or computer and calling themselves an entertainer. I have many, many long hours of talent, sweat and heart invested in my craft and I will not let it be torn apart by the onslaught of amatures that have been "lured" into the spotlight at Karaoke nights and the like.
I guess I should only discuss these feelings with other pros, because I'm sure the large population of home users will, most likely take offense to that statement too. I'm sorry, but in an open forum .... this is what you get. Sometimes you like it, sometimes you don't. Life is all about tough choices.

I'm going to clear my head of all the babble and hit the beach for a week. Maybe when I get back things will be the way they used to be. The trouble with these discussion pages is that you have too much time to prepare your rebuttals. It's nothing like a real conversation where the parties interact and play off each others remarks. That's why so much is taken OUT of context. I think most comments are intended to be amusing as well as helpful. At least, I know I try to do that, but if feelings are getting hurt along the way, then a change must be made.
I will be the one to start the healing. I am closing my lips on the subject of subjectivity for the time being.
You will like what you like.
I like Baby Back Ribs.
Maybe I'll do that tonight.
Ta Ta all.

#108372 - 07/12/02 03:24 PM Re: Best arrager with best rhythm styles.
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
There's a seafood buffet where I'm working. And I get it free. Hope they have crawfish!
Have fun Dave. Have fun Ruthie. And your husband too.
DonM

#108373 - 07/12/02 04:10 PM Re: Best arrager with best rhythm styles.
rgtaa Offline

Uncle Dave!
I enjoy your sense of humor and insight ... and I think most do too!
I think we all need to step back and enjoy the beach or Cruise,every now and then, like Bebop just did!

You are an Entertainer, even on THIS BOARD!

The Board needs your Sense of Humor and Calling a Spade a Spade! And you are quick to admit you might have misunderstood something ... and clarify the subject. And people are from different parts of the World ... THIS forum is a WHOLE world forum on Arrangers, and we are all diferent ages and cultures ...so some misunderstanding is to be expected, at times.

rgtaa

#108374 - 07/12/02 04:38 PM Re: Best arrager with best rhythm styles.
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Uncle Dave, your vacation must be long overdue...BTW, who's babysitting your PA80 this year?

#108375 - 07/12/02 08:53 PM Re: Best arrager with best rhythm styles.
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Uncle Dave,

I've enjoyed reading your posts and have learned a good bit in the process. After many years of dedication to it, I consider myself to be a pretty accompished keyboard player, albeit one who still feels the need to practice so that I can continue to improve and hone my skills. Still, I am certainly a neophyte on the entertainment end of it, and I have gotten a lot of good things from reading you and other seasoned entertainers at this forum.

We have agreed on many things and disagreed on a few things too along the way, but every bit of it has been worthwhile to me. I think you should remain as you are. For myself, I wouldn;t want it any other way.

To the original topic at hand...

I have 2 distinctly different needs and preferences for evaluating styles for my uses. I have to judge certain manufacturers based on conversions because I've never owned or played their boards extensively.

The first need is for live play. For live performances I want simple styles that blend in and don't overpower my own performance. In this setting Yamaha styles work very well because of their simplicity. The PA80 allows me to replace the internal styles withs styles of my own choice. In my live setup, mine still has probably a little over half of the original Korg styles. Many were replaced because I found them to be a bit too busy for me. Most of the imported styles are from Yamaha boards, with a sprinkling of G1000 and Technics styles thrown in ( I like some of the jazz styles from Technics ). There are no Solton styles at all in the live setup. ( I find that they are also a little busy )

I have an completely different styles setup for home and studio use. I simply change the whole thing via disks. ( styles and performances as well as user voices and one touch settings ) In this setup, there are more of the original Korg styles. They sound very alive to me and I enjoy jamming to them and using them as a base or scratch pad for my own songs. In this package there are also several Solton ( ketron ) styles ( also very alive sounding to me ), a few Yamaha styles, a couple from Roland, one from the Casio MZ2000, and no Technics or styles at all. There are also a few hybrids that include pieces from different manufacturers and / or grooves that I played in real time and drums that were born in Jammer Pro software.
What I like about styles for live play is almost the exact opposite of what I like for home and studio use. I lose interest quickly with a lot of the Yamaha and Technics styles, and to a lesser extent the Roland's as well. I also agree with Don though that the latest Yamaha styles ( CVP209 and PSR2000 ) do have a little more flavor and a few from those boards made it into my studio setup.

#108376 - 07/12/02 09:21 PM Re: Best arrager with best rhythm styles.
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
BTW, who's babysitting your PA80 this year?

It's going with me. Remember, I have to work both weekends on either side of our vacation. Only the girls get the WHOLE week off. I'll have Monday to Friday , but next weekend is the "Night in Venice" in Ocean City - just like Mardi Gras, only on the water. This is one of my biggest jobs each year, second only to New years Eve.... and only by a little. This is a big deal, and it gets bigger each year. The house I play at is 3 doors down from Bobby Clark's house (FLYERS), and he always has a gang of party animals there. The houses along the bay are all decorated, and get judged for theme and presentation, as well as the boats that parade along the bay coast. This year the themes are all Patriotic - our house is doing "United We Stand". I've never seen a better party atmosphere - hundreds of casual boaters tie up in groups and anchor right along the parade route and party all night long. People are dressed in elaborate costumes, many boats have their own live bands on board playing for dancing and drinking. LOTs of drinking. I tell ya - it's just like Mardi Gras only with boats.
So ...... you'll have to go to Sam Ash if you want to "Korg" around .... GC doesn't have any around here. Cherry Hill has the PA80, VA76, PSR9k, 2k, 1k .... and I think they might even have an MZ2000 (oooh )Control yourself.

This time off will do me good - I need to get my objectivity in alignment. This summer has thrown me quite a few curves that have me second guessing alot of things.
First - the Pledge of Alegience is challanged by a bunch of idiots
Second - my 40 yr old cousin dies
Third - well....you don't wanna know third.

I will enjoy the time alone with my girls, and if I get real lucky, Chris(my eldest son) will show up with his main squeeze (the yummy Michelle) and I'll have all 4 kids under one roof again. Seems like a long time ago that they were all here at the same time.

This year we have two extra teens tagging along as well, so I'll be the only male in a house full of 6 women ! AAAAAGH ! I hope Chris makes it down ... I need to even the odds a bit. Too much Estrogen is a bad thing, and who will help me make sure all the toilet seats are always in the locked and upright position for takeoff ????

The girls leave Saturday morning, and I'll meet up with them late Sunday night after my job is over. So .... Ciao, Bambinos !

#108377 - 07/13/02 06:07 AM Re: Best arrager with best rhythm styles.
dlstarry Offline

Loc: MN. U.S.A.
HI: Uncle Dave
Have a good time this week, I hope your Son can make it down,
to give you a little help with all them Girls, but if not I'm sure you
will handle it OK.
Have a great time UD.
You Da Man
Denny

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online