SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#108101 - 01/02/04 10:57 AM New Guy...
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Been checking the site out for a long time..finally decided to participate.I have had 9 weeks off in 43 years from playing at least four nights a week...put myself and three childern through graduate school with the extra income. First job was at the officers club at Ladd AFB in Alaska. For the last 13 years I have worked summers at Merrick Inn in Lexington, Kentucky, and private.corporate functions in the winter. The Merrick people recently opened their 2nd location, and want me to work there in the winter. That's a substantial pay cut compared to private jobs, but these folks have been good to me, and I am lucky to be working. I have enjoyd the technical and business discussions, but the over all thing I appreciate about this group is the universal love of music. I'm glad to be involved...

#108102 - 01/02/04 11:17 AM Re: New Guy...
nardoni2002 Offline

Loc: malaga, spain
hi russ ,WELCOME,mike

#108103 - 01/02/04 11:17 AM Re: New Guy...
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Welcome, Russ. We look forward to your input. What type of arranger do you play? Styles of music, and types of gigs? Do you record? You lnow, all the standard questions...

#108104 - 01/02/04 11:26 AM Re: New Guy...
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Welcome aboard Captain! I'm sure your lifelong music entertainment career (wow 43!) must be be filled with many fasinating stories along the way which I hope you'll share with us. I'm sure you've seen a lot of changes in keyboards (from acoustic piano, to organs, to synths, and arrangers), and the keyboard music entertainment biz in general. What keyboard(s) did you perform on/own over the years, and which keyboard(s) are you currently performing on? - Scott

#108105 - 01/02/04 11:31 AM Re: New Guy...
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Hi Captain...
Always nice to see a fellow performer joining the ranks of the Forum. We look forward to your posts.
Eddie

#108106 - 01/02/04 12:11 PM Re: New Guy...
captain Russ Offline

GOOD TO HEAR FROM ALL OF YOU!

Currently, I play an antique MS 60,a Hammond XP-2 and a Goden nylon stringeon my one-nighters.Havs contacted George Kaye and will be getting an SD-1 in a few weeks (OH, the learning curve!) I keep a B-3 and a suitcase Rhodes at a local country club, where I work about 30 times a year. I use a Zeta crossover bass for jazz trio jobs and a Parker Nitefly on guitar jobs. I own a video production company and do soundtrack music for our projects.

I don't drink, watch sports ect., but am an instrument junkie. I have over 60 stringed instruments at the studio and 12 keyboards
(including some really old junkers). I graduated from Unversity of Kentucky with a dgree in accounting and for ONE week, was an auditor for a tire company..TERRIBLE!

I took my old job back at a local college bar and went back to graduate school. Music is not only an essential part of my life, but part of what our company offers. We do communications research, high end print and and video production. I believe audio is the weakers part of most video production houses, so this gives us an advantage. I would prefer to play fusion jazz, but, hey, I live in KENTUCKY. Mostly, I'm satisfied to play quiet dinner music. I also get a lot of business for my daytime business from my playing. I have a lot of "war stories", but am so happy I decided to bo for a living what I would do for fun, and it's worked out. Being successful at playing is always a tradeoff. By playing in upscale restaurants, I can play "two for them" and "one for me".
I appreciate arrangers for helping me compete, but really miss playing in a group situation full-time. The bright side is, I have enjoyed my life and continue to meet people in the business I can enjoy and learn from. thanks for including me...

#108107 - 01/02/04 01:22 PM Re: New Guy...
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Captain Russ,

Welcome to Synthzone, thanks for sharing your background with us. What type of music do you play?

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#108108 - 01/02/04 01:46 PM Re: New Guy...
captain Russ Offline

Most of my jobs are in upscale restaurants, private clubs and horse farms. For restaurants, I play standards, some fusion, etc.
I like to do Foreplay, George Benson, Al Jureau, Stevie Wonder, along with standards like What are You Doing for the Rest of Your Life, NatureBoy, Tenderly, Someone to Watch Over Me....on an on.

The jazz trio I'm in (piano, bass and drums) does straight ahead jazz (Oscar Peterson, Dave Brubeck, Dave Grusen. On guitar jobs I like Bossa Nova, George Benson, Lee Ritenaeur. I do some soft single instrumental jobs on classical. Anytime you're traveling through Kentucky, please look me up. I'm at Either the Merrick Inn or Murrays. Be great to see some of you in person.

#108109 - 01/02/04 02:01 PM Re: New Guy...
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Welcome Russ ! Dan O' in Raven's country .

------------------
Technics,Ketron Yamaha Casio arranger keyboards .
www.keyboardcity.net
1-866-348-8876

#108110 - 01/02/04 02:13 PM Re: New Guy...
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
I keep a B-3 and a suitcase Rhodes at a local country club, where I work about 30 times a year...

My hero ! Two of my all time favorite instruments !

#108111 - 01/02/04 06:13 PM Re: New Guy...
dlstarry Offline

Loc: MN. U.S.A.
Captain, Welcome to Synth Zone, sounds like you have been
around the block a time or two
Denny

#108112 - 01/03/04 05:35 AM Re: New Guy...
trtjazz Offline

Russ,
A grand welcome! Look forward to perhaps hearing some of your work.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#108113 - 01/03/04 12:11 PM Re: New Guy...
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Welcome to the forum, Russ. It's a great place to hang out, share, and learn... which at times can use a captain. Congrats on the SD1, great KB and you'll have a ball with it. I've had mine now for 9 months and still learning... and still loving it.

Glenn

#108114 - 01/05/04 06:42 AM Re: New Guy...
KFingers Offline

Loc: Brighton - UK
Yes, and a warm welcome from me as well.

I played out using the MS40 for over 8 years but I changed around a year ago to a more up-to-date Ketron. I didn't go for the SD1 as I didn't want to carry a 76 note keyboard around. I got the smaller XD3 module which I play with a lightweight 61 note KB on gigs but also with a fully weighted 88 note one at home/studio. I gigged with tonewheel organs and Rhodes in the 70's and like UD love the sound (and feel) but now I'm an old guy the Ketron is close enough.

I have always loved George Benson's stuff right from his earlier "standard" jazz style to his latest funkier stuff and the accompanyments and voices (especially live drums) are (IMHO)the closest for me.

I know you will find a lot of new friends here. I'm sure you wont agree with what everyone has to say but for me, reading everyone's opinion has opened my eyes on many issues and affected my opinion over the last couple of years

KFingers (UK)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online