SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#107540 - 11/30/02 10:58 PM Tyros MegaVoice solo DEMO: Check this OUT !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Checkout this demo of the Yamaha Tyros' "mega voice" guitar sample (histring steel acoustic) played LIVE on the keyboard by Simon Williams:
http://www.psrworld.com/tyrosdemos.htm#songs

This clearly demonstrates that the Tyros' "mega voices" instruments aren't just limited to the 'built in' auto accompaniment styles as once thought.

I really think the Tyros 'mega voice' 'guitar sounds awesomely REALISTIC when played live. What do you guys think?

BTW Simon, nice playing (doodling,as you call it).

It would be really interesting now to hear how the Tyros' "Acoustic BASS" megavoice sounds when played LIVE, especially when playing walking bass lines. Simon, are you up to to this?

- Scott

#107541 - 12/01/02 04:23 AM Re: Tyros MegaVoice solo DEMO: Check this OUT !
trtjazz Offline

Scott,
I had a listen to Simon's mega guitar demo.....as a guitar player I usually do not like the guitars at all on any keyboard, but this was out standing especially in the finger picking segment.
jam on,
Terry

#107542 - 12/01/02 06:04 AM Re: Tyros MegaVoice solo DEMO: Check this OUT !
svpworld Offline

Loc: UK
Acoustic bass megavoice live demo AND a full trio including live! grand piano and cool! jazz guitar coming up! Phew... sorry these mp3's are so big guys, but I recorded the trio as 160kbs just to squeeze that extra little bit of sparkle from it! :-)

Comments on how I recorded these are on the tyrosworld group, if anyone wants me to paste them here I can.

Mp3's are at the same place.. comments and critiscm welcome!

Simon
SVPworld

------------------
http://www.svpworld.com

#107543 - 12/01/02 08:47 AM Re: Tyros MegaVoice solo DEMO: Check this OUT !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by svpworld:
Acoustic bass megavoice live demo AND a full trio including live! grand piano and cool! jazz guitar coming up! :-)

Simon,

WOW. my deepest gratitude goes out to you for responding (and so quickly I might add) and producing the Tyros megavoice bass demo recording I requested.

You are da (jazz) man ! Terrific playing (and work) on your part acheiving an incredibly realistic acoustic bass sound including those awesome bass finger slides . . . WOW ! The drums & piano soud
great too.

I"m CONVINCED now that Tyros offers INCREDIBLE sound improvement over the former PSRs, and now knowing that not only are these new megavoices incredible sounding, but that you can actually
incorporate them into your playing as well makes the Tyros a definite WINNER in my book. The other thing I noticed (from your jazz style sample)is that the style seems to BREATHE more than the equivilent (more rigid sounding) swing grooves on the
PSR2000/9000pro.

I've read reports (from conducted tests by forum members) that the midi timing resolution of Tyros internal styles are no different than on the PSR2000 (1,920ppq), but MY ears seem to tell me otherwise.

Listening to Simon's latest megavoice demos has convinced me that the Tyros offers a significant upgrade for PSR2000 & 9000 owners alike. I anxiously await the arrival of my Tyros. - Scott

#107544 - 12/01/02 09:34 AM Re: Tyros MegaVoice solo DEMO: Check this OUT !
Wis Offline

Nice sounds Simon, I tried to do this playing
with the Megaguitarvoices too and found it
very difficult.Only with special velocity-
settings they could be used for normal playing.Therefor I prefered the KN7000.

#107545 - 12/01/02 09:48 AM Re: Tyros MegaVoice solo DEMO: Check this OUT !
trtjazz Offline

Simon,
Absolutely incredible. Both your excellent playing and the realism of the voices. I am blown away, by both.

Did you record that all, one shot realtime or overdub? Either way killer.
jam on,
Terry

#107546 - 12/01/02 11:44 AM Re: Tyros MegaVoice solo DEMO: Check this OUT !
svpworld Offline

I recorded the first acoustic bass doodle in one go, splitting the keyboard in half and using the same megabass voice on both sides. I octaved the right hand up so as to play the slides and effects and played the main bass in the left hand. Recorded it in one go along with a jazz style for drums only. I had to take my hand off the bass only to trigger fills, hence a few awkward bits you can hear!

The second "trio" was obviously recorded in several takes. After putting the bass track down (above) using megavoice on 2 tracks (right and left voices), I added piano on track 3 and finally a jazz solo guitar on track 4. No quantising of course, the only other thing I did was to adjust the tyros's compressor for a live sound field.

Regards
Simon

P.S. I've just finished a megavoice fingered bass groovy doodle and also a little funky tune to go along with it which I called "disclosure", both are on the same page as the previous mp3's. Actually the tune was to demonstrate some of the electronic organ voices to a member who asked me.

If someone can recreate these on a KN7000, then I would like to hear them please :-)

------------------

#107547 - 12/01/02 11:48 AM Re: Tyros MegaVoice solo DEMO: Check this OUT !
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Simon ,

Yamaha should definately be paying you for your efforts and endorsements !

Your very talented . dano

#107548 - 12/02/02 04:10 AM Re: Tyros MegaVoice solo DEMO: Check this OUT !
svpworld Offline

Well Dan, hope I've cleared up some of the negative issues over megavoices and tyros. Of course not all the megavoices are easy to play live, the steel string guitar and electrics are extremely difficult because of there being 8 velocity channels for each note - though I'm looking into how I can tackle this. It's when though you combine the megavoices with the sweet, cool and live voices that everything really shines. I also think the less, the better, though there's always the temptation to keep adding and adding! Looking forward to connecting the pc to the tyros and seeing what else I can do with the megavoices.

Regards
Simon

------------------

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online