SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#107063 - 05/10/03 09:00 PM Re: OT: Outdoor gigs
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
The second half of my "double" today was an outdoor wedding reception, around the pool and a country club.
If you're not from the South U.S., you may not consider some of the unique problems. The mosquitos were awful for about an hour after dark. The humidity is around 90 percent. I wore shorts and a Hawaiian shirt, since it was a Luau.
In case anyone is interested, I used 2 JBL Eon Power 15's for the mains, plus a Power 10 for monitor.
My house is close to a mile away, and they could hear the music easily from there, but up close it wasn't too loud because the sound dissipates so quickly. It IS fun to play loud sometimes!
DonM

#107064 - 05/11/03 07:11 AM Re: OT: Outdoor gigs
Pilot Offline

Loc: Ontario,Canada
We have a local outdoor buskers carnival every year to which I go and I find that even in the shade my keyboard quits with the heat. So a really good fan helps but when it's in the 90's it's best to stay indoors.

#107065 - 05/11/03 07:29 AM Re: OT: Outdoor gigs
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Beware of bug spray !!! The stuff is for you and definitely not for your keyboards.
At one outside gig, I stepped away from the keyboards to put on a little OFF! DeepWoods spray. The (very)light breeze carried the overspray over six feet and landed directly on my keyboards, turning the spots where the product landed grey. It cost over $400 to replace the keys on my XP50 and I lived with the minor damage on my iX300, but I learmed a valuable lesson - DON'T LET BUG SPRAY ANYWHERE NEAR YOUR EQUIPMENT; spray yourself somewhere else.

------------------
Cass Pawlowski
Detroit, MI
PSR2000, Roland SC88
Cakewalk, Sonar, Power Tracks, BIAB

#107066 - 05/11/03 04:27 PM Re: OT: Outdoor gigs
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
Angelo,
I have just asked the question, on the Technics forum, about seeing the screen in bright light . Grandpa Doug directed me to this thread and after reading all of the concerns and possible solutions, I see that seeing the LCD screen is a common problem.
I agree with Scott and Gary that the keyboard manufacturers must be using old LCD technology because the newer laptops, ETC, are usable in almost direct sunlight, but not the keyboards.
Grandpa Doug had the additional suggestion to use a portable TV as a monitor since the KN7000 has a video output jack. This is a possibility but means lugging another piece of equipment around. I am going to try the cardboard shield approach to see if that will hack it.
Regards,
Walt

#107067 - 05/11/03 04:37 PM Re: OT: Outdoor gigs
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
PS.
I just played an outdoor gig Saturday here in New Mexico. I had the lead sheets clothes pinned down but the wind blew the whole inch thick looseleaf music notebook right off of the music rack. (At least there wasn't a swimming pool for it to fall into!)
And Paul, I know what you mean about dissappearing LEDs.
Fun and Games.
Walt

#107068 - 05/18/03 04:31 PM Re: OT: Outdoor gigs
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
How do you prevent music from blowing around during outdoor perfoemances?
I've seen some people use full length clear plastic clips, but cannot find them locally. Clothes pins work , but don't hold the whole page, and don't look professional.

Regards,

Jerry

#107069 - 05/18/03 04:48 PM Re: OT: Outdoor gigs
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Jerry,
Check K-Mart, the dollar store etc. They sell large plastic clips for clamping on opened folded potatoe chips bags etc. I have a couple and they work fine. I have about a 3" and a 5". Someone has to have them near you.
Boo

#107070 - 05/18/03 04:59 PM Re: OT: Outdoor gigs
wrinkles303 Offline

Loc: worthington ,ohio
my duo won't do outdoor jobs. here in florida
a storm can come up without any warning. i was
playing a beach club outside with my equipment and was hit with one of these storms. dodging lightning hits and intense
rain i manage to get the equipment to the main club from the beach. the club owner said that i could setup in the club. as
i was pouring water from my roland onto
his floor i told him no way. he was upset
because no music for that night , i was out a
keyboard for a lousy 100.00 job.
here's my lesson:
bring a tarp cover for emergency rain,
only use what you can grab in one trip
because down here you get no 2nd chance.
i'm playing this friday as a favor and i'm
using one keyboard for a quick getaway.
good luck

#107071 - 05/18/03 05:16 PM Re: OT: Outdoor gigs
dlstarry Offline

Loc: MN. U.S.A.
I would have to get very very hungry before I
would play an outside gig,(job).
I hate wind, bug's, hot humid temps, & rain,(don't like
getting wet unless I'm in the shower). I'm also
to fussy with my gear.
Denny