SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#106950 - 08/23/06 07:30 AM Re: What TV Shows which feature MUSIC do you enjoy Watching Most?
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Every year, American PBS has pledge appeal, and always include a 50s' / 60's/ Doo-Wop concert (It's the same one every year)
While I enjoy watching these oldies (both the songs AND the performers) I can't help but think that it is "just too good" of a performance.

That is, I have a strong sense that these guys, and gals singing performance are 'enhanced' in a way to sound like the original some 40-50 years ago.

It also seems like the background singers, and band are 'spiked" to cover for the lead singers.

In other words, they may not be that good anymore. They may even be "over dubbed"

Am I wrong on my assesment? I hope I am. I hope they still have it. My opinion, they actually sing, and are still pretty good, but can't duplicate their original recording, and thus recieve a boost. I wonder how much of a boost

All that being said, I still enjoy these PBS Rock and Roll shows. I was particularly impressed with the Dupree's

If interested,here's a nice Doo-Wop List

------------------
Larry
SynthZone Frapper

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#106951 - 08/23/06 07:41 AM Re: What TV Shows which feature MUSIC do you enjoy Watching Most?
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
The Dupree's Video Samples

------------------
Larry
SynthZone Frapper

[This message has been edited by lahawk (edited 08-23-2006).]

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#106952 - 08/23/06 10:56 AM Re: What TV Shows which feature MUSIC do you enjoy Watching Most?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
BET JAZZ channel. Especially the concert series. One of my favorites was the Kenny Drew concert with drummer Alvin Queen. Exquisite!!! I have it permanently recorded on HD.

chas

#106953 - 08/23/06 11:16 AM Re: What TV Shows which feature MUSIC do you enjoy Watching Most?
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I don't watch much tv but I'll put another plug in for PBS. Terrific music from time to time.

lahawk, you aren't the only one who has wondered how 'doctored' those oldies shows are. I have no idea but I have wondered.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#106954 - 08/23/06 11:24 AM Re: What TV Shows which feature MUSIC do you enjoy Watching Most?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by lahawk:
In other words, they may not be that good anymore. They may even be "over dubbed"

Am I wrong on my assesment? I hope I am. I hope they still have it. My opinion, they actually sing, and are still pretty good, but can't duplicate their original recording, and thus recieve a boost. I wonder how much of a boost

Well, if they're getting a 'boost' for the tv show some of them (not all ) must be getting a 'boost' for other concerts as well ... I have attended a couple of "oldies" shows and have been surprised at how good 'some' of the groups are ... Of course they are not all the original members ...
I heard Johnny Maestro (The Brooklyn Bridge and The Crests) and I actually thought his voice sounded better - fuller, richer, (much the same as I thought of Paul Anka after seeing him a few weeks ago) .. On the other hand, the group 'Herb Reed and The Platters' sounded terrible, with Herb having his bass voice boom over everyone else, and a lead singer who must have had poor Tony Williams turning in his grave ...

It's all fun, though, and it's what some (many???) of us grew up on ...
t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 08-23-2006).]

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 08-23-2006).]

#106955 - 08/23/06 11:47 AM Re: What TV Shows which feature MUSIC do you enjoy Watching Most?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
BTW ... I really like many of the various genres of music shown on PBS ... We support the local station, not just because of their programming, but the membership card they send you gets you a 10% discount on all but 'sale' items at the best Italian 'deli' in Rhode Island - "Constantine's Venda Ravioli" on Federal Hill ... YUMMMMMMM !!! http://www.vendaravioli.com/?ACT=HISTORY
t.

#106956 - 08/23/06 11:50 AM Re: What TV Shows which feature MUSIC do you enjoy Watching Most?
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Chas, a Foreplay special is on rotation on BET.
Probably my favorite middle of the road Jazz group. Great music and interesting coverage of tours, interviews, etc.

GOOD STUFF!

Russ

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online