SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#106899 - 12/14/06 04:50 AM Re: Ketron SD5 First Impression!
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
No problem Dave--the check's in the mail!

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#106900 - 12/14/06 06:11 AM Re: Ketron SD5 First Impression!
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
George, thanks for your excellent review. I've been impressed with the SD5 ever since I saw it demod early this year. Is the Vocalist included or an add-on? Would you say the organs are on par with the SD1... probably more like the SD1 EXP? I'll be in touch soon.

Glenn

#106901 - 12/14/06 08:44 AM Re: Ketron SD5 First Impression!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I have to say I'm disappointed with the Riff feature...... Sure, it'll sound cool the first few times you use it, but the nature of a preset set of changes will get tiresome soon, despite the interactivity of the tracks.

Why, oh why!, doesn't anyone 'get' the Roland Chord Sequencer idea? Even Roland don't get it any more...... Wouldn't this Riff feature have been incredibly MORE useful if you could put your own changes in? Wouldn't it be more useful if you could put the chords in on-the-fly, while you were playing the first verse/chorus? Or play the changes in the first time through the 'vamp' and have it take over from there?

Sorry, Ketron, but no banana.... Bad monkey!!

#106902 - 12/14/06 09:39 AM Re: Ketron SD5 First Impression!
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
I'm disappointed with the Riff feature......

Did you play the SD5 ?

#106903 - 12/14/06 10:39 AM Re: Ketron SD5 First Impression!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Haven't played it (no Ketron dealers anywhere near here), already have a G70, just looking for something modern with a chord sequencer....

There's an interesting quote from George in a different thread where he says

"I just went back over to the SD5 and listened to the Nylon, Fingerpick, Brazilian, rock, tele, etc. and they are all fine to my ear. I don't think they will turn heads like the
Tyros2 or KorgPA800 but you certainly would enjoy playing and listening to these"

So, I guess if you DON'T like turning heads (and who does? ) this may be the arranger for you....

Please don't get me wrong, I enjoy George's reviews, and respect him as a reputable seller, but bear that in mind when you read him. He is trying to sell the things..... so you often have to look very hard at his writing (and in between the lines!) to garner the REAL truth.

The bar is being raised higher and higher by Yamaha, especially with the SA voices, and there has to be a really compelling reason to go elsewhere. Me, I HAVE to have 76 keys and only one keyboard, so G70 it is for me. If the Riff feature worked the way I need, I might have changed that concept, but to go to an acknowledged inferior sounding arranger, something revolutionary has to be in the OS. I don't see it yet.........

#106904 - 12/14/06 04:27 PM Re: Ketron SD5 First Impression!
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Diki,
I take offense at what you just said:
"so you often have to look very hard at his writing (and in between the lines!) to garner the REAL truth."
I have been around here for years and years. Yes, I sell keyboards and yes if I give a good review it might sell some keyboards for me, but my enthusiasm for a new board or my lack of, is stated truthfully in my words. I don't think you have to "read between the lines" with me because I am so passionate about my love of arranger keyboards that I am pretty much an open book. I say it like it is. Those who call me get an earful. If I love it, you know it, if I hate it, you know it and if I just think it's OK you know it too.
I am feeling bad that you think I don't speak "the REAL truth" because I am a dealer and my motive is just to sell keyboards. I have a lot of fun here and I've made so many good friends, not just customers. If you statement was meant as a criticism then my reply is justified, if not I just wanted to respond the way I know how.......with my words.

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
www.kayesmusicscene.com
(Retired 2021)

#106905 - 12/14/06 04:36 PM Re: Ketron SD5 First Impression!
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:

"I don't think they will turn heads like the
Tyros2 or KorgPA800 but you certainly would enjoy playing and listening to these"

So, I guess if you DON'T like turning heads (and who does? ) this may be the arranger for you....

Im not saying im someone who particularly wants to 'turn heads', but i played on the weekend ina large hall in front of around 150 ppl (probably nothing major to most ppl here), but after wards alot of ppl were comming up saying "that guitar, was that u playing it or was it a recording?"(S.A concert Guitar) also a few comments the same with the S.A Sax...

comments like that go down very well and make u feel prowd of your keyboard

#106906 - 12/14/06 07:40 PM Re: Ketron SD5 First Impression!
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi George,
thanks for the great reveiw. Unfortunately my SD1+ is only 1 year old, I think I'd have a divorce on my hands if I wanted to replace this early in the piece ( haa haa)
The riff function sounds so very, very interesting.

I've settled for the little SD2 soundmodule for my laptop/OMB software arranger setup.
Amazed how they can get such good sound quality out of such a tiny unit.

best wishes
Rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by George Kaye:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#106907 - 12/14/06 07:53 PM Re: Ketron SD5 First Impression!
keyofg Offline

Loc: usa
Quote originally posted by Diki:

"Please don't get me wrong, I enjoy George's reviews, and respect him as a reputable seller, but bear that in mind when you read him. He is trying to sell the things..... so you often have to look very hard at his writing (and in between the lines!) to garner the REAL truth."

Sorry Diki, but I get you wrong.

You enjoy George's reviews... I view them more with a sense of appreciation and respect.

You respect him as a reputable seller... I respect him for his knowledge, integrity and the warm welcome I have always received in dealing with him. He has always welcomed me as a friend first and a customer second.

You bear in mind that he is trying to sell things... I bear in mind that he has tried to sell me nothing, but rather provided knowledgeable input that allowed me to decide for myself.

You often have to look hard at his writing (and between the lines!) to garner the REAL truth... glad that I do not have to look that hard to recognize there is nothing between the lines and the REAL truth is that George's enthusiasm, knowledge, integrity and product review posting over the years have been a valuable asset to his many Synth Zone friends... whether they buy from him, or elsewhere.

Gee... now I feel a lot better. ;-)

keyofg

#106908 - 12/14/06 10:28 PM Re: Ketron SD5 First Impression!
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
hey!

george -
i'd like to hear your oppinion about E60, when you'll get it in!

is just natural that all of us have our own preferences and we talk about it (sometimes too pasionate, as we all know) and all of us have to make a living, may that be selling keyboards. i understand what diki said and we shouldn t be that jumpy; i bet no harm was intended.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online