SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#106330 - 09/01/04 09:21 PM Television 'Song Performance Video' Posted !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi gang, guess what? I purchased a Plextor ConvertX model: M-402U Video converter http://plextor.com/english/products/ConvertX2.htm (last week) which converts video tapes, live TV, and any other analog source into digital via your PC, or even directly to DVD disc. I'm really thrilled with the unit, as it's not only easy to use, but the digital DVD results (imho) look 'nearly' identical to the original video source as well. I'm really impressed with the results. I'm using the M-402U in conjunction with a Plextor 712UF DVD burner http://plextor.com/english/products/712uf.htm connected to my PC via USB 2.0.

I'm now in the midst of converting my video tape collection to DVD (MPEG-2) format for TV viewing, sharing with friends, as well as posting on my website. To post on the internet though, further conversion compression is necessary, to make the resulting files small enough (under 10 mg) for relatively quick & convenient internet download playback.

In reviewing my video library, I came across a Television show aired 'song performance' I did back in the 90's for a San Francisco Bay Area wide Asian Talent search contest. I was among the TOP ten finalists who appeared on the show, chosen out of over 150 contestants who had auditioned. The original analog video unfortunately suffers from some drop outs (snow) and the required compression (5 meg .WMV file) necessary to post on the internet, futher compromises the video quality, but I thought you guys might 'get a kick' (and perhaps a laugh) checking it out. It's always amazing to look back on how we've evolved & changed over the years. The video clip is posted in Windows Media Video format (WMV) so you'll need Windows Media Player. You can view it on my website:

http://scottyee.com

then click on the 'Song Demos' page link, and select the song: "On A Clear Day".

I have other video performances which I recently converted (from video tape) as well, so I"ll post these eventually too, that is, if there's enough interest here. On another note, my new professionally produced & 'completely re-designed' website is currently in the final production stages (I'm really excited about how the way it's looking), so I'll be sure to let you guys know when it finally rolls out.

Scott

#106331 - 09/01/04 09:46 PM Re: Television 'Song Performance Video' Posted !
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
Very Nice Scott, and Congrats!!
Thought I was listening to Scatman Cruthers there for a moment there. Am I correct...F#maj7??
Good key for your more than capable voice. This will make a great promo for you.
Again....my congrats on a job well done.

------------------
...L

#106332 - 09/02/04 04:38 AM Re: Television 'Song Performance Video' Posted !
Dnj Offline

Scott, awesome performance.....!
I love the video wipe also

Are you Sammy Davis in disguise?

#106333 - 09/02/04 05:25 AM Re: Television 'Song Performance Video' Posted !
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Scott,

Great performance! I agree, this may make good promotional material for your web page.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#106334 - 09/02/04 06:43 AM Re: Television 'Song Performance Video' Posted !
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Scott:

Nice idea. I was wondering why you couldn't just leave your videos in the DivX format and let potential viewers just download the proper codec? I realize that the video files would be somewhat larger but these days so many people have high speed web that it seems a more practical solution to the just leave the videos in DivX since your Plextor encoder creates them in that format. You'd save a step in the web-video process and the videos would be less compressed - resulting in high quality?

Here's a site where some guys do a lot with video and model rocketry - be sure to check out the "Gumby video" which is hilarious. You'll have to download and install the DivX codec but it's free and easy to do: http://www.dph.com/vidroc/vidroc_1.htm

#106335 - 09/02/04 11:07 AM Re: Television 'Song Performance Video' Posted !
trtjazz Offline

Scott
I thought a real good performance, although the volume of the shirt and tie combo was louder than your singing.

Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#106336 - 09/02/04 12:24 PM Re: Television 'Song Performance Video' Posted !
Luis.Santos Offline

Loc: Portugal
Nice performance!

Luis Santos

#106337 - 09/02/04 06:36 PM Re: Television 'Song Performance Video' Posted !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Leon (shboom), I don't know who Scatman Cruthers is (was), but the solo surely included jazzy Major 7th notes. I have to admit that the 90's was my vocal jazz period influence, but now realizing that most main stream audiences don't care for traditional jazz or vocal scat singing, I rarely include it anymore.

I personally find it interesting to look back at past performance videos to see how we were influenced by admired musicians of the time, and then see how we take 'certain elements' from our various earlier musical influences to then form our own individual style, hopefully emerging as a respected musician artist in our own right. Thanks for listening and the kudos.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Scott, awesome performance.....!
I love the video wipe also

Are you Sammy Davis in disguise?

I only 'wish'. Thanks for the kind words though. - Scott

Gary (Travelin' Easy) & Shboom: In regards to using this as a promo video, I'd say this 90's video may look a bit dated, especially with that 'baggy' , and (as Terry (trtjazz) mentioned) overyly loud performance garb. I honestly don't think I would be caught dead wearing that now.

Quote:
Originally posted by The Pro:
I was wondering why you couldn't just leave your videos in the DivX format and let potential viewers just download the proper codec?

My Plextor Convert X Video Converter allows converting to DivX, but I had initially converted the video footage to MPEG 2 (DVD High Quality) and then converted to both WMV and DivX formats. On comparison (with conversions to the same ultra compressed size (from 150 megabyte MPEG-2 file to 5.9 megabyte WMV & DivX files), I found the WMV looked far better (better color accuracy & eveness, & sharper & detailed) then the equivilently sized DivX file. I haven't tried directly converting (from video tape) to DivX vs WMV yet. I'll have to try that.

Luis, many thanks for taking the time to view the video, as well as posting the nice comment.

Thanks again to everyone for watching & hearing the video. Posting videos here definitely adds a more personal element to more closely see & hear each other perform, and I encourage others here to share their performance videos as well.

Scott

#106338 - 09/04/04 08:03 AM Re: Television 'Song Performance Video' Posted !
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Nice job Scott!

You made a real splash. Congratulations on being a finalist!

PS: There was a slight glitch in the 'audio' portion which may also have affected the video slightly also. The area affected was at 1:03 into the video and sounds similar to a 'cut out', i.e., an "interuption of sound" in the video feed. I am assuming that the 'original' video did NOT have this anomaly and was only 'produced' when you converted it using the Plextor. Is this true? If so, how do you attribute this to happening?? Perhaps your computer needs a faster CPU or something??

Again Scott, great performance. You don't look a day older than you did back in the 90's. Of course if it was done in 1999 then I wouldn't think you would anyway.

Best regards,
Mike

#106339 - 09/07/04 04:55 PM Re: Television 'Song Performance Video' Posted !
Tony W Offline

Loc: Lancaster UK
Excellent Vid Scott,

Whoever said it above it is true that you never seem to get any older! The rest of us are noticing our wrinkles and dimples yet you still look eighteen. You should market whatever your secret is I want me some of that! It can't all be down to that California sunshine surely?

The performance itself was infectious I thought. You really know how to work a crowd Scott (and a camera!...did the camera's not phase you at all? It sure looked like you felt right at home.)

Hope there are more videos in the archive.
Best wishes
Tony

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online