SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#106263 - 07/31/06 06:32 AM Mediastation Keyboard Upgraded
richard_shiflet Offline

Loc: Greenwood, SC -USA
After owning the Lionstracs MS X-88 Pro Mediastation Keyboard for only a very short while, I am happy to report that I have already received an upgrade to the internal sounds. It came in the form of a 64 meg flash DIMM chip with a complete sound set already burned in.

There are some great sounds included in this set. Domenik sent me a video showing how to properly access the interior of the mediastation, outlining which screws to remove and how to open the case.

Once inside it took only a few seconds to swap the chips. During the process I must have inadvertently pulled one of the ribbon connectors loose from the motherboard. Since I had no idea where it was supposed to be plugged I took a look at the Hardware Manual he had sent me and found the connector clearly labeled. I reconnected the cable, closed the case, and replaced the screws. That was all there was to it!

Domenik even included two brackets specially designed to hold the panel of the Mediastation open. Kudos to Domenik for making what could have been a daunting task very simple and painless!

I know I must sound like a Lionstracs advertisement, but we are quick to complain when a keyboard manufacturer gives us anything less than perfect service. I just thought that excellence should be noticed as well. When is the last time anyone has seen this kind of “service”?

And the cost of this upgrade? It was free! I was not even asked to pay the shipping costs.

Richard

#106264 - 07/31/06 06:59 AM Re: Mediastation Keyboard Upgraded
Magica Alfa Offline

It is really good to here this from you. I receive also e-mail from LIONSTRACS that i will receive new flash DIMM.

This is really good gesture from LIONSTRACS.

Please tell me if sounds are really more powerful. My version is really good. I don't want to lose all this good sounds.

Thanks for answer.

#106265 - 08/01/06 03:33 AM Re: Mediastation Keyboard Upgraded
Filipe Tomas Offline

Today I receive new flash DIM too. New GM Dream Soundīs in my hand, now I go change Flash DIM !

Thanks Lionstracs

Filipe Tomas

#106266 - 08/01/06 04:20 AM Re: Mediastation Keyboard Upgraded
richard_shiflet Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Magica Alfa:
It is really good to here this from you. I receive also e-mail from LIONSTRACS that i will receive new flash DIMM.

This is really good gesture from LIONSTRACS.

Please tell me if sounds are really more powerful. My version is really good. I don't want to lose all this good sounds.

Thanks for answer.

Magica Alpha, you are right this is a great gesture on the part of Lionstracs!

I have done hardware upgrades with other keyboard companies in the past and it was always very costly for me and with very little payoff in features or benefits. The only justification for doing these upgrades was that it was the only way to better my instrument, short of replacing it!

The sounds included are very good. Some of the bass guitar exp sounds have really good sounding slides programed in the lowest octave. There are some very good guitars including a dream guitar with a built in velocity activated finger movement sound that is really cool!

Though the pianos are better than what I had in my previous keyboard, I still like the mediastation's giga steinway sound the best.

The leslie duo is my favorite of the new organ sounds but with the Native Instruments B4 Organ installed I really won't need it.

I liked most of the strings and pads a few were exceptionally good. There are a few sounds that I thought were rather weak as well, but I think that is true with most GM/GS sound sets.

All in all, I think you will be pleased. It is a definite improvement!

Richard

#106267 - 08/01/06 06:28 AM Re: Mediastation Keyboard Upgraded
LIONSTRACS Offline

Loc: Italy
Thanks guys!
Now finally we have the time to start to include the new GM/GS sounds for the Flash Dimm 256Mb.
( 256Mb= 2giga bit if someone there like hear the byte in this way)
In september we will start to produce the new DSP-PCI card, where is soldered another 128 Voice, GM/GS DSP and Flash Dimm shocket.
With this card we can have UP to 256 GM/GS voice and UP to 512Mb ( 512Mb= 4giga bite) GM/GS sound bank.
Of course, with the new 3 sound designer/company, we will prepare some different Sound Bank where you are able to choose the sounds that you better like.

For the Oriental users, end september will available the new Turkey 64Mb GM/GS sound bank, 100 Turkey styles and about 1.6 GB of Oriental GIGA sounds.

Slow slow we start to cover a lot of new field, that other brands can't offer.

Thanks again guys

[This message has been edited by LIONSTRACS (edited 08-01-2006).]

#106268 - 08/02/06 03:47 AM Re: Mediastation Keyboard Upgraded
richard_shiflet Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Filipe Tomas:
Today I receive new flash DIM too. New GM Dream Soundīs in my hand, now I go change Flash DIM !

Thanks Lionstracs

Filipe Tomas

Hello Filipe,

Its good to see you posting again.
What do you think about the new sounds?
Are you using alot of giga sounds on you keyboard or vst's? You can also email me if you would like perhaps we can talk on yahoo

Thank you Lionstracs for the announcement of a 256 meg flash dimm that will be a lot of sample wave space for a gm sound set. Your Dsp-PCI Card sounds interesting as well. Keep us posted.

Richard

#106269 - 08/02/06 06:13 PM Re: Mediastation Keyboard Upgraded
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Keep up the good work Domenik!

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#106270 - 08/07/06 03:33 AM Re: Mediastation Keyboard Upgraded
Magica Alfa Offline

I received dream bank. I can tell you that sounds are really fantastic. All sounds better then in previous edition.

Bravo LIONSTRACST. Thanks for all your support. You are good company.
You know how to do with your customers.

Best regards.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online