SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#106107 - 07/16/06 10:40 AM MP3 Conversion to Midi on Mac?
powerimages Offline

Loc: monroe township, nj usa
I'm looking for a Macintosh software that will convert WAV or MP3 files from a digital recorder to MIDI. I will be ultimately printing sheet music through Finale/Print Music. I've found a few good ones for PCs but not yet for Macintosh? Also don't want to spend that much. Any suggestions?

Thanks

#106108 - 07/17/06 03:40 PM Re: MP3 Conversion to Midi on Mac?
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
Do you mean full mixes, or monophonic parts?

I have never heard of anything that would MIDI-fy a mix......

#106109 - 07/17/06 05:30 PM Re: MP3 Conversion to Midi on Mac?
powerimages Offline

Loc: monroe township, nj usa
Know anything about Melodyne? I understand that this is not just monophonic parts?

#106110 - 07/17/06 09:03 PM Re: MP3 Conversion to Midi on Mac?
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
Well, you might try a visit to the Melodyne site to gather information on what it is capable of, but I'm afraid that, AFAIK, there is NOTHING that can 'listen' to a full mix and put out MIDI transcriptions. At best, there is software that can do pitch recognition of single note lines, but even they can be very flakey.

My advice to you would be to get Amazing Slow Downer for Mac, and do the transcriptions manually. Firstly, it's more reliable than software transcription (you end up spending more time on correcting the pitch-to-MIDI than you would just writing it!), and secondly, you LEARN about music, arranging and notation and so many other things by doing transcriptions the old-fashioned way......

What do you learn by letting software (even if it could) do it? You don't learn to play by hitting 'Play' on a sequencer........

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online