SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#106068 - 08/14/06 10:25 PM If you played another instrument did you become a better muscian when you went to arr
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
After playing guitar for so many years I went to the keyboard and started to do a one-man-band. I was a accomplished guitar player –Jazz, classical, the pop music for my time -- I studied for many years.

When I started on keyboard a new world opened up. As a guitar player I knew about chord progressions and the different keys (flats and sharps) On the keyboard I received the whole picture, it was less mechanical. There far more solo playing and I had to learn how each instrument should be played. My piano playing stills have a lot of guitar technic, I will admit I am a poor piano player.

I no longer just fill in or strum or solo, I have to do it all. I want the sound of a whole band doing whatever they do. I have to select the right instrument in the right place, the correct fills and styles. And there’s so much more.

John C.

[This message has been edited by bruno123 (edited 08-14-2006).]

#106069 - 08/14/06 11:53 PM Re: If you played another instrument did you become a better muscian when you went to arr
George V Offline

Loc: Sofia
Hi,

I came from the Violin, Viola and Piano. I mostly enjoyed Piano.

I admit I've become a better composer since I started using an arranger keyboard. Now I can listen to my arrangements without the need to gather musicians. Also, it is fun to mix and match different sounds and see how different sets of sounds have influence on the general feeling of the musical work.

However, by no means I've become a better instrumentalist. These unweighted keys prevent me from developing a better playing techique.

Regards,
George

[This message has been edited by George V (edited 08-15-2006).]

#106070 - 08/15/06 03:34 AM Re: If you played another instrument did you become a better muscian when you went to arr
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
John,

Same for me as well.

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#106071 - 08/15/06 03:37 AM Re: If you played another instrument did you become a better muscian when you went to arr
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Great Topic John,

I'm a pretty accomplished drummer, it is my primary instrument, when I went to keyboards (another percussion instrument), I sort of played the keys as a drummer. I would use notes, chords, solos, in different timing sequences than a typical key player, especially for a new player. I have had to tone that down a bit and try not be so syncopative (if that's a word). Needless to say, knowing keys has helped my drumming tremendously and visa-versa.

------------------
Al Giordano
www.al-giordano.com

Tyros 2, Yamaha P-250, Korg Triton Extreme 76, Roland VK8-M, DW Collectors Series Drums

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#106072 - 08/15/06 06:06 AM Re: If you played another instrument did you become a better muscian when you went to arr
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
First trumpet, then bass, drums, organ in that order. My belief is that the unweighted organ-type keys allows you to be MORE expressive when emulating the instruments.
Incidentally, don't you hate it when CERTAIN piano players want to play your keyboard then proceed to see how hard they can pound on it, expecting it be louder the harder they hit it?
I have stopped one or two in the middle of a song and told them I can't afford for them to tear up my instrument.
DonM

#106073 - 08/15/06 06:19 AM Re: If you played another instrument did you become a better muscian when you went to arr
Dnj Offline

Accordion, Piano, Keyboard/Synth, Organ/, Vocals, Drums, Percussion, Alto Sax, Guitar, Bass, Arranger KB's since day one...............

An Arranger KB lets you do it all at once BUT.....its practice & much Pro experience that makes it all come together to make you a better player to do it right utilizing all its features. On top of that you have to LOVE IT!!

#106074 - 08/15/06 06:33 AM Re: If you played another instrument did you become a better muscian when you went to arr
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I started on piano at the age of five. My parents bought and fully restored a 1903 Kurtzman Cabinet Grand (Upright Piano) for me to play--Damn that was a beautiful piano I stayed with piano, and at a young age started playing with synths (Juno's, ect).

I then started playing drums when I was quite young as well. (began with lessons on just the snare drum--and eventually played in my gradeshcool band-junior high school marching band. Been playing drums ever since. Luckily I have had an advantage when it comes to keyboard drumming

I started playing guitar at a young age too. My uncle showed me a few chords on his vintage Fender acoustic. My first 3 chords learned were D/A/G. After that I was hooked, and went to my father with big puppy dog eyes and he bought me my first Fender acoustic (had to be like my uncle and buy a Fender)

After a few months on the acoustic I picked up on it really quick. So my father then bought me a Fender Strat, and since then have owned many makes and models of both acoustic, electric, and bass guitars.

Having seven brothers and sisters helped out too. They all dabbled in various instruments--taking lessons here and there. So when they got bored with them, the instruments were passed down to me to fool around with. I've dabbled with the Tenor Sax, Flute, Violin, and Trumpet. I made it a point to learn some basics on these instruments and how they function. I'm glad I did because I used what I learned and apply it to modern synth/workstations. That in turns helps me to better emulate a particular instrument.

So it all started with the piano for me, and trickled down into other instruments. So I would have to say yes to this question. Starting with the piano, and playing other instruments prior to owning arrangers have helped me in my own abilities.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#106075 - 08/15/06 06:41 AM Re: If you played another instrument did you become a better muscian when you went to arr
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Me, too...started on guitar, playing in an officers club in Alaska at 10. Added drums, upright, then bass guitar, mandolin, tenor banjo, harmonica. Then, as my longtime B-3 player/partner slowed down his lead lines because of arthritis, got a melodica, then a Wirlitzer electric to play keyboard solos. Playing complex chord patterns on guitar really helped cut the learning time on keys. One thing I did wrong was finger my chords the way I did on a guitar. That meant little or no use of thumbs. One night after I had been playing five year in clubs, a piano teacher, who came up to see us often, came around to watch from the side of the stage. She said, "my God, son, what happened to your thumbs?". With a little time and adjustments, things became easier.

I think it is generally easier to go from guitar to piano, instead of the other way around, since you have a basic understanding of chord structure, scales, etc., and the physical issues of learning to handle string pressure aren't there.

I also think that lessons (instead of the way I did it) are the way to go.

Playing multiple instruments makes the world a more interesting place. And, there are more job opportunities.

Russ

#106076 - 08/15/06 11:29 AM Re: If you played another instrument did you become a better muscian when you went to arr

Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
Great Topic John,

I'm a pretty accomplished drummer, it is my primary instrument, when I went to keyboards (another percussion instrument), I sort of played the keys as a drummer. I would use notes, chords, solos, in different timing sequences than a typical key player, especially for a new player. I have had to tone that down a bit and try not be so syncopative (if that's a word). Needless to say, knowing keys has helped my drumming tremendously and visa-versa.

Al, My closest friend is a sax and drum man, anything he records (sequences or styles) has tremendous drive -- real solid beat.
Are you there?

John C.

#106077 - 08/15/06 11:33 AM Re: If you played another instrument did you become a better muscian when you went to arr

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
First trumpet, then bass, drums, organ in that order. My belief is that the unweighted organ-type keys allows you to be MORE expressive when emulating the instruments.
Incidentally, don't you hate it when CERTAIN piano players want to play your keyboard then proceed to see how hard they can pound on it, expecting it be louder the harder they hit it?
I have stopped one or two in the middle of a song and told them I can't afford for them to tear up my instrument.
DonM

Dom, I remember someone asking to play my guitar which had just bought and gone in hock for-I said a flat NO!

If the man was a piano player, they normally do not do the keyboard justice. I'm with you Dom, off my instrument!!

John C.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online