SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#105969 - 05/29/03 08:47 AM Re: Dance styles and Vocal harmonizer
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I think that's why a lot of people who own synths are also buying arrangers too... (although some won't admit they have them)... The majority of today's synths are being designed with dance, rap, hip, and club music in mind. Look at the Triton Classic, and even the Triton Le. Their acoustic sounds aren't that great, but they have a killer sound set for dance, techno, hip hop, rap, and so on. The arrangers cater to all groups. With our arrangers we get styles in every category although some are completely off, there are many styles that are really good... Yamaha had it right when they brought out the original DJX.... The made an arranger for the dance market with up to date styles and sounds. However they blew it when they released the second edition.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#105970 - 05/29/03 07:19 PM Re: Dance styles and Vocal harmonizer
Tony W Offline

Loc: Lancaster UK
Hi UD,
I see where you are coming from and in part I agree BUT (how d'ja know that was coming? ) ... if someone says to me play some dance I more often than not think of house, techno, garage et al.

However if someone says play some dance band I think of Glen Miller and that ilk. It is all a question of semantics and perception and like it or not that is a generational thing. Every generation hijacks certain terms, phrases, words etc and attaches their own connotations to them. Whilst the word 'wicked' to me is negative and means a bad thing the same word to my 14 year old nephew is positive and means something is beyond brilliant!

I don't even think it is a case of the 'GenXers' claiming they invented 'dance' per se. More a case of claiming a word to describe a style of music that they identify with and to.

Lord alone knows I don't understand, like or play techno, house, garage etc. Then again I would have been mortified if my parents had found any merit in Soft Cell, Blondie, Eurythmics and other bands of my youth.

Tony

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online