SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#105922 - 06/23/05 08:50 AM Not SZ Related...
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
Last week Sat, we had a thunderstorm that knocked out my main computer with all of my contacts and information and music but I also lost all of my photos of my children...
I have not been around the Zone since.....however I am trying to get back up
and running again by the weekend, don't fight and be nice to each other.....
Tony Rome

#105923 - 06/23/05 09:08 AM Re: Not SZ Related...
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
If you have no copies of the photos anywhere, the hard drive... sometimes the data can be recovered. There are companies specializing in this.

------------------
Me Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#105924 - 06/23/05 09:18 AM Re: Not SZ Related...
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Sorry to hear that Tony.
I believe that the cost to retrieve the data will be staggering. It used to be at least.
Hope it turns out ok, sometimes you can simply install the hard disk and retrieve the data.

#105925 - 06/23/05 09:59 AM Re: Not SZ Related...
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Tony, are you sure you can not get access to your hard drive..Usually a surge [lightning] will burn out your power supply and possibly your motherboard..

Use an external case with your hard drive and see if the hard drive shows with another computer[or install the drive in another bay of the new computer]..

#105926 - 06/23/05 11:05 AM Re: Not SZ Related...
Tony Rome Offline

What happened was the computer was doing a
virus scan when the lights went out so the tech saiud that because it was in use at the time, it crashed the boot dirc so it won't oot up...we tried to install the drive in a different computer to boot it to read the files to copy but it won't read anything and won't boot up in any mode...I was told that in Mexico city we maybe could save the information but it would cost about $1,000 us with no gaurantes...I'm still trying to recover the data, I will not install a new OS and formatthe disc over, I'll get a new disc and go from there.
Someone had told me about a program called GHOST that can retrive the data....anyone ever hear of it or know about it....thanks for all the support, I'll keep trying.....
Tony Rome

#105927 - 06/23/05 11:29 AM Re: Not SZ Related...
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
Hi Tony
sorry to hear about your lost files.
If you have ever looked at my website, you will have noticed that I unashamedly advertise a company called File-Saver.
This is because a year ago , I also had a loss of data on my HD (which also 'deleted' 4 years of my family photographs!)
I came across this company by chance,used the software and regained most of my data. I say 'most ' because if you have defragged or overwritten any of the files, they are unfortunately lost for ever.
The cost of the software is minimal and if you take it carefully you may well be able to regain some of your files if not most, as I did.It seems that even when you accidentally delete any files, they are still there on your HD!!!
I have had friends thank me for this link, so it has worked for them.
Give it a try.
You can either go to my webpage and at the bottom you will see the banner or you can go now direct to www.file-saver.com
Let me know if it works for you.
cheers
Eddie

------------------
Eddie from Rotherham
www.yamahakeyboards.info

#105928 - 06/23/05 12:38 PM Re: Not SZ Related...
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
I would also try what Fran suggested; "Use an external case with your hard drive and see if the hard drive shows with another computer[or install the drive in another bay of the new computer]..

I think you may possibly be OK, even if the boot sector is not. So far as ghost is concerned it's a great tool, but in this case it is not what you need.

#105929 - 06/23/05 12:59 PM Re: Not SZ Related...
Tony Rome Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Stephenm52:
I would also try what Fran suggested; "Use an external case with your hard drive and see if the hard drive shows with another computer[or install the drive in another bay of the new computer]..

I think you may possibly be OK, even if the boot sector is not. So far as ghost is concerned it's a great tool, but in this case it is not what you need.

Steve....I did that, tried two different computers, they don't reconize the H/D...I will check out the link on Eddie's site in the meantime...I thank you all for the ideas
and I will continue to try others..keep them coming please...Eddie I'll check it out
Tony Rome

#105930 - 06/23/05 04:42 PM Re: Not SZ Related...
manic2257 Offline

Loc: australia
hi tony, i have come upon this thread just now...you can try a pretty good freeware recovery program called PC Inspector File Recovery available from www.pcinspector.de click the box at the top right to change to english and proceed from there, make sure you select "file recovery" from the pane on the left, the others are for flash drives usb sticks etc etc..i would send it to you via email but its 8mb..so maybe try that and you may save some money as well as files...

dennis

peace, out

#105931 - 06/23/05 11:30 PM Re: Not SZ Related...
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
Hi Dennis
Thanks for the link to the recovery site.
I have downloaded the file-recovery and hope I don't have to use it! but it's probably good insurance.
I noted on the same site that they also have a smart card data recovery software, which I also downloaded. My son lost all his holiday photos on his last trip because he removed the card while it was still active. I shall talk to him later today with this news.
Thanks again.
Eddie

------------------
Eddie from Rotherham
www.yamahakeyboards.info

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online