SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#105805 - 11/30/05 02:24 PM PC Problems
claudiu Offline

Loc: Sterling Heights, Michigan USA
Hey...Hello...I have a problem...everytime i come home from school...there are files missing from my va76 folder on my pc...and different persons log into my pc..( family, friends ) and i have a question...can i create a folder or a briefcase..and put a password on it.. ?

Regards,

Me

#105806 - 11/30/05 03:22 PM Re: PC Problems
TomTomSF Offline

Loc: Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
Roland keyboards require a database structure when working with files on Zip drives. I forget exactly what Roland calls this annoying system. In order to preserve the files on both your PC and the keyboard Zip drive, you must use a special utility program called RDBM (Roland Data Base Manager). It used to be available for free from Roland and on the web.I don't remember if the VA-7 and VA-76 still rely on that system, but I think they do. Maybe some other Roland users will respond. This could be what is causing you trouble.

Tom G.

#105807 - 11/30/05 03:27 PM Re: PC Problems
claudiu Offline

no..it's not that....i'm talking about the computer folders..this has nothing to do with the keyboard....my saved files dissapear...probably my sister or her friends delete my stuff...i want to put some passwords on some of the folders...am i able to do that ?...this has nothing to do with music..

Kind Regs..

Me

#105808 - 11/30/05 03:27 PM Re: PC Problems
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Depends on the Operating System you are using, so check out the Help file on the computer and search for security settings.

#105809 - 11/30/05 03:35 PM Re: PC Problems
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
You could store them online somewhere. Or you could get a Yahoo email account and mail them to yourself and store them there.
DonM

#105810 - 11/30/05 03:41 PM Re: PC Problems
claudiu Offline

yeah but i'll have to download them everytime i want to use them..

#105811 - 11/30/05 06:45 PM Re: PC Problems
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Just change them to Read Only files, then they cannot be modified. The only other option is to pasword lock your PC, which is not too difficult either. Click Start, Programs, Accessories, Access, Accessability, Accessability Wizard.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#105812 - 11/30/05 07:07 PM Re: PC Problems
trtjazz Offline

On a pc Windows based running XP you cannot create say one or two locked folders. As Gary eluded to, you would have to lock it all down by password protection and that would mean you would need to be the administrator of the pc. You would then have to set up access accounts for each additional user.
My suggestion would be to buy an external hard drive that you could plug in via USB, put your files on it and when you are done, unplug it and go hide it somewhere, then when you go to use it again, just plug it back in.

The other option could be to burn your files to a cd and do the same thing.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry
http://www.musicchops.com/forums/

#105813 - 11/30/05 08:06 PM Re: PC Problems
claudiu Offline

i created user accounts on my windows xp for me and my sister...she has her password..and i'm the administrator..but when she logs in on hers..she doesn't have acces to any pictures and any mp3's.....how can i let her see the pictures and have the music ?

Regards,

Me

#105814 - 11/30/05 10:03 PM Re: PC Problems
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Tell her if she messes with your stuff again, you'll knock her block off . . .like any good brother would!
DonM

#105815 - 12/01/05 12:25 AM Re: PC Problems
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Do exactly as Don says, no passwords, no hassle.

#105816 - 12/01/05 12:53 AM Re: PC Problems
abacus Offline

If you are running XP and you have set up separate accounts, each with there own password, and you do not want other account holders to access a folder, then right click the folder, select sharing and security and then on the sharing tab tick the box marked Make this folder Private, this will prevent other account holders getting access.
If there are certain files you wish other account holders to see, then double click my computer and you will see a folder marked Shared Documents, which can be seen by all account holders, so just copy the files you want others to see to this folder.
Hope this helps.

#105817 - 12/01/05 07:17 AM Re: PC Problems
claudiu Offline

Hello..thank you abacus..that sounds great...but i am not sure wether or not i have a "sharing and security " option when i right click on the folder...( it's just a normal folder )..
Regards,
Me

#105818 - 12/01/05 07:33 AM Re: PC Problems
claudiu Offline

Hello again....I just wanted to know...well....i deleted my sister's user account....and right now there's just me, the administrator..--..there is just one folder that i don't want her to access...for that...do i have to create an user account for her again.. ? I will use the sharing and security thing abacus told me about...but do i need to create an user account for her with her own password...?

Regards,

Claudiu

#105819 - 12/01/05 08:39 AM Re: PC Problems
abacus Offline

Yes you need separate accounts.
Store the folders you want to make private in you’re My Documents Folder.
Hope this helps.

#105820 - 12/01/05 11:35 AM Re: PC Problems
claudiu Offline

do i really have to put 'em in My Documents ?

#105821 - 12/01/05 11:51 AM Re: PC Problems
claudiu Offline

hello abacus...i can't select the "make this folder private"

#105822 - 12/01/05 03:02 PM Re: PC Problems
abacus Offline

When you have separate accounts set up, create a new folder in the My Documents folder of your account, right click this folder, select sharing and security, followed by the sharing tab, the check box for private folder should now be available, (Don’t forget to click apply when you have ticked the Private box) you can then copy all the files you don’t want others to have access to, in to this folder.
If you are using XP Home, you may have to do this from Safe Mode. (Press and hold F8 before Windows starts, until the menu appears, use the up and down arrow keys to select safe mode, and the enter to confirm)
Hope this helps.

#105823 - 12/01/05 06:18 PM Re: PC Problems
Tony W Offline

Loc: Lancaster UK
Hi there,
You could always try this....
http://www.newsoftwares.net/folderlock/

there is a free download and if you like it it is very cheap to buy. (about $30US I think) Not sure but I think the free version works for quite a while anyway (but with a few nag screens or reduced features)

There is loads of info on their website so have a look and see if it is what you need.
best wishes
Tony

#105824 - 12/01/05 06:25 PM Re: PC Problems
claudiu Offline

thank you friends...it really helps

kind regs,

me

#105825 - 12/02/05 01:38 AM Re: PC Problems
abacus Offline

For other programs like Folder Lock, have a look on www.download.com and www.tuccows.com also not sure if it is the same in the USA, but in the UK programs like this are given away free on computer magazine cover discs.
Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online