SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#105701 - 12/20/03 05:40 PM Harder than i thought.
Grubba99 Offline

It's been 2 years. Two years!
Two years since i made the decision to buy a arranger keyboard. How naive I was to think I could just go out and buy a keyboard. I've spent the last two years speaking to people about their keyboards, asking about others, and going to the music stores. If there's one way that I've progressed , its the realization that peoples opinions on keybaords are among the widest range of opinions. From one keyboardsist I will hear that Yamaha makes the worst keyboards, while from others, I'll hear that they will use nothing besides the yams.
It's insane how hard it is to but a keybaord. Should i just go out and buy one, and learn to love it?
I want a keyboard that has good sounds, as well as good beats and accomp. to play along with. There are soooo many that fall under this category! maybe i should just give it up. maybe i should just play with the baby grand I own, and forget about gigging.

#105702 - 12/20/03 06:04 PM Re: Harder than i thought.
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
If your an accomplished player I would hold out for a high end Arranger. Don't get something that 2 months from now you would have wished you didn't get in the first place. That is if you can afford a high end board. If you can't that's another story entirely. If you don't have deep pockets get a mid-range Arranger, eg., Yamaha PSR 2000/2100 Technics KN 2400/2600, Roland, uh, no; - forget Roland , Korg PA60, etc. Before you buy "try". Play them in person to get an idea if it's what you want.

But if your an accomplished player with money to burn then do yourself a favor and get a high end Arranger Keyboard, eg., Yamaha Tyros, Technics KN7000, Korg PA1x PRO, GEM Genesys PRO, Roland, uh, no; forget Roland.

Best regards,
Mike

#105703 - 12/20/03 06:35 PM Re: Harder than i thought.
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Well, I'm no expert on Arranger keyboards, but I have a big recording studio and lots of synths and workstations.
The truth of it is...Nobody can tell you what to buy and what not to buy. You're right some guys will prefer yamaha and some guys will prefer KORG (or whatever).
Spending two years tryig to decide what keyboard to get is a little nuts . You should really stop listening to others and buy what YOU like, not what sombody else likes. Stick to major brands like Yamaha, Korg and Roland. Their hardware is more reliable and their service is pretty good.

SO go to the store, play a few boards, see what you like and buy it.If anyone tells you that Yamaha or Roland or KORG is crap - tell them to go away .
When it comes down to keyboards made by those companies - nothing is crap. It's just a matter of preference.

-ED-

#105704 - 12/20/03 07:17 PM Re: Harder than i thought.
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
We can only give suggestions. We all have our favorites too. The only person who can truly figure this one out is you You have to get out there and try them.

"Any fool can tickle the ivory, but it takes a fool with talent to tickle it right"

Meaning get out there and start tickling some ivory (or plastic).... When you get the right set of keys under your fingers something deep down inside will let you know.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#105705 - 12/20/03 08:54 PM Re: Harder than i thought.
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Are you related to Paul-61? You guys gotta get real. Buy something. All the big synth names have good arrangers in all price ranges. The sounds from those arrangers will be similar to those of their other keyboards because they use the same or a modified version of the sound engine. Each has its pros and cons, but you have to start somewhere. My suggestion is: pick a manufacturer that appeals to YOU, then pick a price range and then buy the arranger. You will like it. And in a year or so, maybe less, you'll be making suggestions to some newbie here about what's hot and what's not. Make it a Merry Christmas and get yourself an arranger.

#105706 - 12/20/03 10:27 PM Re: Harder than i thought.
Grubba99 Offline

So your saying I should just go with a keybaord and get to love it??? It sounds really nice in theory, but I could end up wasting like a thousand bucks. I can't choose a keyboard that I'll love, by tring it out in the store for a few minutes. I even rented a few but I just can't know if this is the board I'll enjoy using for the next few years.

#105707 - 12/20/03 10:50 PM Re: Harder than i thought.
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Yep... That's what we're saying. You've already spent a lot of time gathering information / opinions you get from this and other sites, ( hopefully remembering that opinions are just that.. opinions ). Check out the manufacturers sites too, then figure out what you need and like in a keyboard, play it / them ( the most important step in the whole process ) and then.... Go Buy one.

If you find out later on that you wanted something else instead, or what you bought isn't your ideal board, all is not lost. You can certainly sell it and try again. Most of the recognizable brand name arrangers have a decent resale value.

I had a PSR 2000 for several months and it was a great board to play, but after a while, I realized it really wasn't the right board for me. So... I sold it. It cost me a little over hundred bucks or so when all was said and done ( from my purchase price to resale ), but.. I did get a good bit of use out of it, so in my mind, all I really did was rent it for about six months, and then transferred it to someone who was better able to use it. Not bad for a hundred bucks or so...

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 12-20-2003).]

#105708 - 12/21/03 02:00 AM Re: Harder than i thought.
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
Hey Grubba99

Listen to this carefully. I shall only say it once!!!!!

Life is very short. We are here for just a fleeting moment. Buy SOMETHING.ANYTHING.
This business of considering EVERY aspect of a new experience you seek is fatal!
I know. I spent far too much time in my short life (71 years) WONDERING.!

I remember a quote from Lord Reith of BBC fame, who said at the same age as I now am - "If I have a regret in my life , it is that I spent too much time being serious. I should have lightened up long,long ago"
My latest attempts to redress the balance in my life are to be heard on my website music-time.
Hope you buy SOMETHING SOON!
cheers
Eddie J

------------------
Eddie from Rotherham
www.yamahakeyboards.info

#105709 - 12/21/03 02:21 AM Re: Harder than i thought.
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
I have to agree with the other members on this thread. Whether you buy a Roland, Korg or Yamaha or whatever, all keyboards have unique strengths and weaknesses and that will never change, yet all are capable of making great music. A couple of visits to a music store comparing models side by side is usually all I need to decide because for me the sound quality is the most important factor. You can wait 12 months but the choice will be no more clear than it is now. Simply think about the features that are most important to you and then find the keyboard that best fills those needs. And then make good music with it.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 12-21-2003).]

#105710 - 12/21/03 02:38 PM Re: Harder than i thought.
Grubba99 Offline

OK! I'm gonna go buy a keyboard. It's not worth agonizing over. The point of buying a keyboard is for me to enjoy. It's not worth agonizing over. right?!

#105711 - 12/21/03 02:49 PM Re: Harder than i thought.
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Exactly!
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#105712 - 12/22/03 01:08 AM Re: Harder than i thought.
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
Buy something. Anything! NOW!!

#105713 - 12/22/03 05:33 AM Re: Harder than i thought.
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
I agree with Nigel that sound quality is very important. I recentley demoed the Roland EXR-5, by quickly going through the voices. Ho-hum. I will not be buying a Roland EXR-5. It was that easy to decide. Let your ears decide.
Starkeeper

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online