SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#105663 - 10/21/02 02:24 PM Another software question...
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
I purchased Powertracks 8, its great, what do you guys use for midi file creation and altering, I used to use performer, but I have a pc now. Anything that is as easy as performer?

#105664 - 10/21/02 06:05 PM Re: Another software question...
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Use PTpro 8 ! It's easy and looks just like cakewalk in a lot of ways.

#105665 - 10/21/02 07:18 PM Re: Another software question...
frankieve Offline

Do you mean powertracks 8? You cand do all the midi editing with this program?

#105666 - 10/21/02 11:11 PM Re: Another software question...
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by frankieve:
Do you mean powertracks 8? You cand do all the midi editing with this program?

PowerTracks Pro Audio 8 (same thing as powertracks 8) is primarily a 'digital audio' sequencer. Though it does support midi, it's midi editing capabilities is quite limited compared to the more powerful feature laden midi/audio sequencers such as Cakewalk Sonar. Frankieve, you first need to determine which midi editing features you need and then find out if Powerracks Pro Audio 8 includes or not. Dollar for dollar, PowerTracks Pro Audio 8 is a terrific bang for the buck ONLY if it provides ALL the features 'you' need.

#105667 - 10/22/02 05:42 AM Re: Another software question...
frankieve Offline

Scott,

So far it has alot of stuff that I didn't even know there was.

I love that fact it can get the chords out of a midi file.... great

Maybe you know how to do this,

Set it up so I can print with the name of the song, lyrics, and chords into 2 pages.

It seems I can't get it to line up properly, I'm still waiting fo rmy manual, but thanks in advance.

Also the other point is I need to be able to make midi medlys if possible, move groups of tracks to different section,

Myabe I should look into cakewalk, i guess i was spoiled with performer,

Thanks

#105668 - 10/22/02 06:36 AM Re: Another software question...
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
You could also start with Cakewalk Express, ( also about 30 dollars and sometimes included with hardware as "bundled software" as well ).

CW express has excelent midi editing features. It may ( or may not ) be limited in audio features vs Power Tracks, but I'm not 100 % sure on this because when I had Express I always used N track studio for multitrack audio ( actually I still do and I prefer it over Sonar for strictly working with audio.. great bang for the buck program )

If you want to spend a little more, but not the price of Sonar, CW Home studio will give you good bang for the buck too.

I would suggest a look at the Shareware music machine at http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/?pr2 . Here you can find many trial and shareware downloads that you can try out to see what works for you. There are even a few pretty decent freeware apps that might surprise you. ( Quartz studio freeware from Digital Sound Planet does a pretty good job of midi editing and allows for 4 tracks of audio recording ).

AJ

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online