Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#105588 - 09/17/02 01:05 PM Re: An afternoon with KN7000
Jupitar5 Offline

Loc: United States
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:

The Korg drums are as good as it gets. If I had to rate all three it'd be in this order:
1)PA80/Ketron
2)Roland VA
3)Yamaha
4)All the rest

Uncle Dave , when you talk "Yamaha Drums" in your "Third spot" list.......do you mean the Yamaha 9000 Pro? - Because when I got rid of the KN6500, and brought the 9000 pro, the Yamaha drums sounded superb by comparison to the K65, they really did. Hey, I'll have to check out one of these PA80's out one day - and best thing, they aren't that expensive (a little more than a PSR2000 @ £1200) (ish) may be a nice companion to my Roland Piano, because it's been a LONG while now since I had a Korg. Overdue!

Tony

-----------------------------------------

With the ever Increase in Technology, the word Impossible should be used with caution...if at all......

#105589 - 09/17/02 02:47 PM Re: An afternoon with KN7000
Tony W Offline

Loc: Lancaster UK
Hi Jupitar'
I have to agree with you. I have always been quite satisfied with the drums on my kn6000.....until I heard the 9000pro. It is one of the things that has really sold me on the pro. I am almost ready to plunge now, the only thing I am undecided on is if I keep the 6000 or not? I know I am not going to play it that much when I get the pro..... space is not that much of an issue but it seems a shame to let it sit there if I am going to ignore it.
You made the change Jupitar, did you miss anything badly on the technics? Did you regret your decision or is the pro all I think it is? Subjective I know but your insights would be appreciated.
ttfn
Tony

#105590 - 09/17/02 04:07 PM Re: An afternoon with KN7000
Jupitar5 Offline

Loc: United States
Hello Tony W

Yes,I had the 9000 Pro (not got it now, Part exchanged it for a Roland KR577 Piano, because I needed 88 keys and a fully weighted action).

Anyway. When I unpacked my new 9000 Pro, first thing I noticed was how different the key action was to the kn6500. They were much easier to press down, and excellent for Hammond organ gliss's (for example). Another thing that surprised me, was the weight of the 9000 pro. Yes, heavier than the KN6500...but it didn't seem much heavier at all (to me), because the pro was long and narrow (very Sexy , and my guess is that it would be easier to carry than its "stockier" PSR 9000 counterpart - at about the same weight. Yes, the Weight of it surprised me..

Obviously, one of the first main things you check out on a new board are its voices (sounds). I was in awe of this thing straight away. The Strings were lush, so were the pads ("Pro-Heaven" was superb). Organ sounds?? - brill. Electric Piano??, Rhodes?? Once again, very good, and much better than the KN6500 (My opinion of course, “as is” all what I say here!)

I really had to go a long way before I hit a sound that said "hmmmm, not quite as good as the KN" And as to "did you miss anything badly on the Technics". Well, the Oboe’s, and Cello’s on the 9000 were not as good as the KN, nor were some of solo sounds like "Cornet" for example. The Piano was 50-50….it’s just what sort of piano suits your ears.. As far as Styles are concerned, the Yamaha ones suited me more, because I am into prog-rock, classic rock, Dance etc more than big band (say), and the KN6500 didn’t cut on these styles for me. Back to the Voices, the Guitars (both acoustic and Electric) also excelled on the Yamaha, as did the Synth sounds as well. Tony, I now have a Piano, and is excellent for my requirements now. However, if you want ONE single keyboard that can do the “mostest” the Yammy pro is it. I’d say anyway. That said, I haven’t tried the SD1 so can’t comment on that. However, with the ability to add more sounds via EXP slots (and also poly on the way), it deserves, in my opinion, it’s “pro” status!

I usually check some 2nd hand tackle out at : Loot ads’ and as I write, there is someone selling a pro for £1,695, with Roland/Technics Styles etc, on a Hard Drive, and he/she includes “Speakers/Pro pack” – go figure. (just type Yamaha 9000 in the “search”). There is someone too, selling a Technics KN6000 with an expansion card for £700 Qwid Might buy that and make a profit .

Tony (T’other one!)

-----------------------------------------

What came before time? - and what comest' after it ends?.......

#105591 - 09/17/02 07:45 PM Re: An afternoon with KN7000
Tony W Offline

Loc: Lancaster UK
Hi Tony,
Thanks for the reply. Just the kind of info I was looking for and is very much appreciated.
I too check out Loot and had seen the pro ad you mentioned. My dealer is selling the pro brand new with speaker pack and lights for £1599. I have not managed to better that yet even second hand.

You are right the 6000 at £600 is a steal. My dealer offered me £750 trade in for mine. I have decided to sell it as well as I know what I am like. It will just sit there doing nothing when I get a new board. It seems such a shame so I might as well sell it whilst it is worth something. I put it on ebay as I figured that anything over the £750 my dealer offered would be a bonus You might not beleive it but a 6500 was sold on ebay last week for £1420. You can pick em up new for £1299 now! Thats why I love ebay! You just never know
Just sold my Digitech VR on there and it was bought by one half of a famous duo! Won't embarrass him by saying who but I was amazed (and just a little chuffed )
Anyway I have gone off track a little (again!)
Thanks again
Tony

#105592 - 09/17/02 09:56 PM Re: An afternoon with KN7000
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Tony,
Coming in third to the likes of Ketron, Korg & Roland is no small achievement. The Yamaha has terrific drums, that's a fact. My point is that - the others are WAY above par. (remember .... sounds only here)

Overall user-playability .... the Yamaha has the best drum patterns in my book. Simple, punchy but in the pocket.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online