SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#105439 - 04/02/06 03:38 AM Re: Why more Tyros than PA1x on ebay?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
MrEd, funny you should mention Benny Golson. I played one of his tunes last night, "I Remember Clifford", at a concert in Tampa, FL.

chas
.... insisted on all acoustic. Hard to argue with him with a beautiful 7' Steinway on stage.

[This message has been edited by cgiles (edited 04-02-2006).]

Guys, Benny Golson is one of my favorites. Years back I was in a music shop and found a book with piano solo editons of his music. Some nice stuff to say the least.Played out of that book for many years. When I got married 14 years ago and the band took a break I played a short set of piano solos on a Chickering grand they had on site ( far cry from 7 foot Steinway) but a decent sounding piano. At that time my father had passed away a few years before, as a tribute to him I played , " I Remember Clifford."

I agree it is one of the most "hauntingly beautiful" tunes he wrote.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 04-02-2006).]

#105440 - 04/02/06 08:17 AM Re: Why more Tyros than PA1x on ebay?
MrEd Offline

Chas, Stephen, those are some good experiences.

Moon was not familiar with a great tune dedicated to the uncs?
Moon was not familiar with a great tune dedicated to the uncs?
Wow, do you think he was real close to his uncle, and the song was just too much , lose composure or something like that?
No lie, last night/wee hours while posting, i was listening to songs i have in a pc folder. After thinking/mentioning Benny Golson, I went directly to his I Remember Clifford, and played it twice.
Its a great song and no doubt about it, his version is one of the finest i've heard. I then put on the same song, done by a fantastic Jazz accordion/vibrabandoneon player, Richard Galliano. Its from his CD titled “Face to Face”, all played by only himself and Eddy Louis on the B3. I truly enjoy EVERY single track on this album, but track ‘I Remember Clifford’ is very special here too. He takes it from that slightly haunting effect, with the B3 soft in the background, up into a strong emotional level that is just fabulous, to me.
Anyone really into accordion with jazz flavor has got to take a listen to the cd and that particular tune.
Its different, just B3 and accordion, without any other instruments, but its so finely done. Eddy and Richard compliment each other’s playing, so well on this cd.

Stephen, that was a nice setting to play a tribute to your father,and you chose a great song for it.

EDITED:
I wanted to point out that I just recently started dabbling in the keyboard/arranger stuff and mainly, my playing has been on the accordions.
Being an accordion enthusiast contributes to why I personally enjoy this album so much. Its not exactly main stream jazz in the traditional sense of the term, but the runs and the improvisations played here are surely jazz.

[This message has been edited by MrEd (edited 04-02-2006).]

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online