SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#105429 - 04/01/06 10:52 AM Why more Tyros than PA1x on ebay?
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
I don't know why and I'm not trying to be smart.
Do you suppose it's because they sell that many more Tyros?
Or do you suppose that many more people are not content with the Tyros as the people who own the PA1X are with their keyboard.
Either way it's an interesting thought to me anyway!
The PA1X is rare and when you find one, they want as much for the used ones as they want for the new ones. You can get a used Tyros for $2000 or less. If anyone sees a PA1X for that much let me know ASAP please,
boo

#105430 - 04/01/06 11:28 AM Re: Why more Tyros than PA1x on ebay?
MrEd Offline

Boo,
my own guess is that the hype about the Tyros2 (whether the majority agrees with the positive hype or not) has Tyros owners wanting to move up to the deuce.

As great of a board that PA1X is, they still are not as available to potential prospects, as is the Yams, and thats the way it is around here in the big city of Chicago.

#105431 - 04/01/06 12:33 PM Re: Why more Tyros than PA1x on ebay?
brickboo Offline

Ed,
Maybe Korg only makes enough for the proud and the few? What do I know!

I would think you could see anything you wanted in Chicago! If you can't, what chance do I have in the mountains. All I can get around here is bronco stuff.

We have folks here that will argue football with you and they don't even know what a first down is. They're getting better at telling the difference between a kick-off and field gold though!

Kinda like the Eagles fans. Ha! Ha! Oh Oh!

#105432 - 04/01/06 02:04 PM Re: Why more Tyros than PA1x on ebay?
MrEd Offline

Boo, maybe they're hiding those PA1X's in the mountains by you. Go stretch them legs and take the binocs with.

Or could it be that Homeland Security is still investigating these and has not yet released them to the heavy populated areas?

PA1X,,, kinda sounds like a missile of some sort.

Sorry about that. I had a near-beer about a minute ago and I guess it went right to my head.

#105433 - 04/01/06 02:39 PM Re: Why more Tyros than PA1x on ebay?
MrEd Offline

Hey Boo,
As long as i'm killing a Saturday, home alone here, I know you're a jazz fan as I am too.

Downbeat Magazine has an article that talks about Ramsey Lewis hosting a new weekly TV series on Jazz, "Legends of Jazz". Its going to launch on PBS this spring, very soon. They state in the article that its a venture that has not been taken in 40 years.

I'm pretty excited about this myself. Ramsey is a radio host in Chicagoland on WNUA, 95.5 'Smooth Jazz'.
(I keep calling in the morning to win a free Ramsey coffee mug and coffee, but no darn luck yet)
Anyway, I'm hoping that music and jazz fans will get plugged into it and make it a success.

I don't have cable and the shows that are on TV are not for me. I'm still catching Ed Sullivan reruns tho, I might beg for Ted Mack too.

Seriously, the Downbeat article is good news for me.

Episode1: THE GOLDEN HORNS with guests Clark Terry, Roy Hargrove Chri Botti.
Episode2: THE JAZZ SINGERS, guestsAl Jarreau, Kurt Elling.
The list goes on, mentioning some featured artists in each episode, but the contents are
EP#3: THE GREAT GUITARS
EP#4: CONTEMPORARY JAZZ
EP#5: ROOTS OF JAZZ (The Blues)
EP#6: THE ALTOS
EP#7: THE PIANO MASTERS
EP#8: THE AMERICAN SONGBOOK
EP#9: LATIN JAZZ
EP10: THE TENORS
EP11: BRAZILLIAN JAZZ
EP12: THE KILLER B's (as in B3!)
EP13: THE JAZZ MASTERS.

I'm resrving myself a seat in front of the boob tube.

[This message has been edited by MrEd (edited 04-01-2006).]

#105434 - 04/01/06 04:23 PM Re: Why more Tyros than PA1x on ebay?
Beakybird Offline

Hey Mr. Ed,

What part of Chicago are you from? I live in the western suburb of Woodridge (surrounded by Lisle to the north, Naperville to the east, Bolingbrook to the south, and Downers Grove to the west).

I make a living doing the senior circuit.

You don't see many high end arrangers around here in Chicago. Sometimes Sam Ash has a Tyros. I know a place in Naperville that stocks Roland arrangers. I think Sound Post in Evanston might have the PA1X Pro.

That sounds like a great Jazz series. I don't have a TV at all - well we don't have an antenna, so we can't receive a thing except for DVDs. I do have satelite radio, however.

Beakybird

#105435 - 04/01/06 04:46 PM Re: Why more Tyros than PA1x on ebay?
MrEd Offline

I'm on the southwest borderline, west of Midway. Thats for sure, high end arrangers are scarce. Right now though, Sam Ash in Lombard (Roosevelt RD and Finley? maybe) has the PA1X, forgot what they were asking for it. There's only 1 and its been there awhile.

The senior circuit is a good thing. I enjoy so many music styles from 1 extreme to the other.

I'm just playing under my headphones here at home mostly, and some summer things for friends and acquaintences. Years back, I use to play regularly (while having the full-time day job) and that would be 3 to 8 piece with 90+% with the 5-pc. Playing the 1-man-band stuff is a fun and exciting hobby, but going out and doing the 1-pc arranger stuff professionally 'aint for wimps', to borrow a phrase from Gary.

Lisle/Woodrige/Naperville, you familiar with the great Jazz program at North Central? Janice Borla runs that. They play her recordings on WDCB 90.9 regularly. 99.9% of the success I experienced back in the playing days was while she was singing for our group. She is special in many ways, not only a great vocalist, but a fantastic person too.

Speaking of WDCB, I listen to the Midwest Ballroom show on Saturdays, Buckley on Sundays, Bruce Oscar, John Burnett, Barry Winograd (is my spelling ok?), and you can catch their big band / swing bands at the local places like the Viking and Fitgeralds, at C.O.D. We have some some good things around here, BUT NO Hi-end arrangers!.
Thats OK, George Kaye took care of everything for me. All I had to do was be patient and had the PSR3000 in about 3-4 days.

PS
Beaky, if you don't have the TV setup in time for the Legends of Jazz series, I will record and get them out to you.

[This message has been edited by MrEd (edited 04-01-2006).]

#105436 - 04/01/06 05:59 PM Re: Why more Tyros than PA1x on ebay?
brickboo Offline

Ed,Beaky,

My,problem with jazz is all the great tenor sax men of long ago are gone. Dexter Gordon, Coleman Hawkins, Lester Young, Stan Getz, John Coltrane, Sonny Rollins, Hank Mobley, Billy Mitchel. David "Fathead" Newman, Ray Charles' sax buddy is still around and so is Sonny Rollins. I can listen to alto a while, but man I can listen to tenor forever.

Glenwood Springs has supposed jazz concerts in the park on Wednesdays during the summer. It 85 miles from my place but still on the Western side of the Rockies. Once they had an outfit playing bottles. It was nice for three tunes but that was all I could take. They played marimba type latin stuff. They did great but like I said threee bottle tunes is enough for me.

The best trip was maybe 10 years ago. Man I couldn't believe I was actually seeing and hearing Sonny Rollins. What a treat.

You guys need to head to the Shreveport Jam so I'll have someone to play some jazz with. Don not that big a ham, he'll share enough time for us to do some standards.

Hey where else could you learn how to suck the heads on a crawfish.

This is nice I thought I was the only jazz guy here.
Boo

#105437 - 04/01/06 08:19 PM Re: Why more Tyros than PA1x on ebay?
MrEd Offline

Boo, 3 bottles is my limit too.
No doubt about the tenors you listed, all-stars they are. Along with those greats, I liked some Stanley Turentine too, and as far as 'alto' listening goes, I enjoyed Phil Woods stuff too. Hey, Episode10, THE TENORS will have have Benny Golson. He's no slouch. The local radio stations play a lot from these guys.

I make a much better jazz listener than a jazz player. And my music interests are all over the place too. People that know me well, can not determine what style of music to buy for me as a b-day or xmas gift. So they pretty much will buy anything and the next thing you know, I'm a new groupie to some style that nobody knows.

Hey, gotta run. The Funk bagpipe group up the street will be starting shortly.

#105438 - 04/02/06 01:53 AM Re: Why more Tyros than PA1x on ebay?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
MrEd, funny you should mention Benny Golson. I played one of his tunes last night, "I Remember Clifford", at a concert in Tampa, FL. Written as a tribute to the late Clifford Brown, it is one of the most hauntingly beautiful and superbly crafted tunes since Monk's "'round midnight". I played with his nephew, "Moon" Brown, a tenor saxaphonist, while I lived in Hawaii. Suprisingly, he didn't know the tune. Oh well.

chas

BTW, didn't use a synth. Wanted to, because of the ease of volume control but the bassist (who is also principal bassist with the Florida Symphony) insisted on all acoustic. Hard to argue with him with a beautiful 7' Steinway on stage. Also did "Dear ol' Stockholm". Went well. Felt good being back playing in a jazz trio format again. Nothing like have a couple of other guys to divert some of the attention from some of your goofs.

[This message has been edited by cgiles (edited 04-02-2006).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online