SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#105343 - 12/16/03 07:39 PM First Solo Gig
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
On Sunday afternoon I had my 1st Arranger KB gig. It was at an assisted living facility and went well. With 2 more on the books and now a shot of confidence, I'll be going after more Sr Living gigs and then Sr dances very soon.

It took me about a year to gear up and learn all the AKB ropes, but without this forum, it would have taken much longer. Many thanks to so many of you who have helped me, either directly or indirectly.

Thanks Nigel, for establishing and continuing this forum. Thanks Dave, Donny, and Fran... I still want to get over your way sometime. Thanks Eddie... watching you perform was inspiring. Thanks Gary, Dreamer, Scott, and so many others.

Scott, with any luck I might catch up with you in April. I'm planning on visiting my daughter then and I think she's in your neighborhood.

Thanks for all who have posted their mp3s. I've listened to almost all of them and many have been inspiring.

Thanks again and best Holiday cheers to all!

Glenn

#105344 - 12/17/03 06:16 AM Re: First Solo Gig
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I had confidence in you Glenn. Now stop screwing around and get to work!

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#105345 - 12/17/03 08:23 AM Re: First Solo Gig
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Glenn, Congrats on the terrific success of your first gig. Curious to hear what songs you performed (solo keyboard and/or vocals). Glenn, just remember that 'every gig' builds on the next to further improve both your performance skills and confidence level. Sounds like you've definitely caught the 'entertainer' bug. Have a great ride. Glenn, please let me know when you're in the Bay Area. - Scott

#105346 - 12/17/03 08:26 AM Re: First Solo Gig
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Whoo Hoo ...... keep it up man !

#105347 - 12/17/03 10:12 AM Re: First Solo Gig
STAM Offline

Loc: Brussels, BELGIUM
Good luck Glenn,

Just because I am curious, how many songs do you think you must have to do a solo gig?

STAM

#105348 - 12/17/03 03:43 PM Re: First Solo Gig
GlennT Offline

Eddie, Scott, & STAM...

I did ~ 20 songs, half being what might be the top 10 C-songs, Rudolph, Jingle, etc. All numbers were vocals but 2 - "O Come All Ye Faithful" (piano + strings only) and "Maple Leaf Rag" (ragtime piano only).

I had spent some time practicing my opening an closing remarks. I started with a short version of "On The Road Again". Since I last solod 25 yrs ago, it may be my theme for awhile. Then opening remarks with a quiet latin vamp going, then into "I've Got The World On A String".

Additional songs: Ain't Misbehavin, Don't Get Around Much Anymore, Spanish Eyes, Someday, When You Wore A Tulip/Baby Face, Walking My Baby Back Home, You're Nobody Til etc, and You Don't Know Me. I ended with Silent Nite then closing remarks. Next time (1 more pre Cmas booking) I'll close with "Wish You A Merry Cmas"

One gutsy thing - I didn't take any music or lyrics. Gutsy or foolish(?) it worked (sorta) I'm determined to memorize... and if the crutch is there I'll use it.

An added bonus - not only were folks singing along, but with some darn decent harmony! (the audience was residents plus family members) Such fun! Now I know why you all go through all the trouble.

#105349 - 12/17/03 04:17 PM Re: First Solo Gig
beachbum Offline

Loc: Austin
Glenn,
Great to hear all went well.. Perfoming live is quite the rush... As long as you're
having fun you'll always be fine..
DJ

#105350 - 12/18/03 06:29 AM Re: First Solo Gig
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Glenn ... Congratulations and welcome back to the 'working' fraternity ... Yesterday I played my first gig since knee replacement surgery in Oct ... It was also my first 'Senior" club party ... The crowd was very receptive, and I didn't realize how quickly the time went by ... It also felt good being the youngest person in the romm!!! .....
t.

#105351 - 12/18/03 07:44 AM Re: First Solo Gig
GlennT Offline

Waytago Tony!

#105352 - 12/19/03 08:04 AM Re: First Solo Gig
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Tony, Well done!
You know, I've been thinking, and I can't even REMEMBER my first solo gig. I think it was playing organ for a beauty pageant, but I'm not real certain. It had to have been in the late 60's. I remember a supper club job about 1970, but it was almost entirely instrumental too. I think it was at that place that I first tried to sing a song alone in public, although I had sung a few with bands earlier.
I can remember practicing at home with a mic and organ and a tape recorder. The vocals were so bad I couldn't stand to listen to it.
I had no effects and no e.q. I then bought one of the first Peavey p.a. systems, I think a 4-channel with two columns. It had spring reverb, and I also bought a tape echo box. Then I could cover up the mistakes a little.
DonM

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online