SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#105292 - 09/30/03 10:01 AM Re: auto harmony/mic thru the PSR2100
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Don...
Sounds like Aux In/Out might work. But, I am leary of pumping an amplified signal into the Line In on the KB.
Eddie

#105293 - 09/30/03 10:07 AM Re: auto harmony/mic thru the PSR2100
Anonymous
Unregistered

ok, think i'm in the same boat too - I have older Traynor mixer, I don't see dedicated "out" lines for each individual channel. I do have a monitor out - wonder if that would work?
I get leery with power to power

Jill

#105294 - 09/30/03 10:13 AM Re: auto harmony/mic thru the PSR2100
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
The monitor out will work. Or the aux out for Eddie.
Just set the input on the keyboard to "line", then turn the volume knob fully counterclockwise to minimum.
Turn the monitor or aux send volume to zero on the master and all channels of the mixer.
Then turn the levels up slowly. I would start with the Master monitor or aux send on the mixer. Set it to halfway. Then turn up the monitor send on the mic channel to about halfway. Test the mic to see if you're getting a signal. If not, turn up the input knob on the keyboard little by little until you start hearing something.
It is important to optimize all the levels where nothing it being overdriven, but you're getting a good strong signal. It will take a little experimenting at first, but once you get it set, you won't need to change it.
Don
P.S. You use only the "out" from the mixer, don't return the signal. It will be returned through the keyboard outputs.

[This message has been edited by DonM (edited 09-30-2003).]

#105295 - 09/30/03 11:11 AM Re: auto harmony/mic thru the PSR2100
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
S*T*O*P !!!

Before any of you hook a powered mixer to your keyboard. Don's description is correct, and it WILL work, but the chance of a devastating , harmfull feedback exists when you return the signal from the kb into the SAME amp that sent a signal from the mic.
(Stay with me...)

The Mackie (and others) have a dedicated button that essentially makes it TWO, independant mixers. Unless you can do that with your gear (XR600 - no no)I advise you to get a teeny, $49 Beheringer or similar to use as a mic submix.

The theory of Don's explaination is correct, but in practice, it's WAY too easy to screw it up, by turning the monitor send up on the kb channel.
Be vewwy, vewwy, caweful. We're NOT hunting wabbits here.....this is far more serious, and you'll ruin your amp if you return the signal to itself at any significant volume.

Think of it this way:

Take two garden hoses, from two spickets and attach them at the ends. Then turn the water on at each spicket ........ THERE SHE BLOWS !

It's not worth it. You can get small mic pres, or mixers that will give you the same results. As an ecopnomy measure .... even a guitar effects pedal will work to isolate the signal, if it's frequency range is adequate.

Careful here folks..... this is not the way they intended those older mixers to be used.

[This message has been edited by Uncle Dave (edited 09-30-2003).]

#105296 - 09/30/03 11:23 AM Re: auto harmony/mic thru the PSR2100
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
I'm using a small, ART tube preamp that costs about $90. It has the XLR mic input/outputs, as well as the standard 1/4 inch. It also has phantom power should the mic require it. These work well with guitars and basses, as well, to warm-up the sound. The mic is a Shure 58A. It sounds great thru the 2100.

#105297 - 09/30/03 11:44 AM Re: auto harmony/mic thru the PSR2100
Anonymous
Unregistered

thanks Dave, it's what I'm leery of as well, with an older mixer.

Since I want my vocals coming thru the mix/amp/speakers, would I be better off getting a newer mixer, or would a mic pre amp do the job just as well with what I have? One of the big reasons I got this board was the quality of the vocalizer, so I sure want to utilize it to it best potential/sound.

Jill

#105298 - 09/30/03 01:40 PM Re: auto harmony/mic thru the PSR2100
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Don & Uncle Dave...
Thanks to both of you. I understand the "mic/powered mixer/KB line-in concept", but I am way too chicken to try looping the mic signal into the amp twice. The Mackie's routing ability is, by far, the best, safest and easiest to understand option.
Eddie

#105299 - 09/30/03 08:31 PM Re: auto harmony/mic thru the PSR2100
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Aw Dave, these guys are musicians, and by definition very intelligent. If you're careful you won't loop anything. At least not more than once!
DonM

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online