SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#104831 - 06/19/05 11:44 PM Re: Music notation software and scanning music.
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi Rikki

I really appreciate your help. I am liking all of the programs I am trying now more and more. I suspect that a lot more can be done with OMB, but, I have to admit that I am liking Jammer Live and Live-Styler more and more all the time. Why? Probably because they are set up to look and operate pretty much like a virtual arranger keyboard control panel.

But, I'm going to take my time and play around with all 3 of them. They each seem to have their "issues."

What I am really looking forward to is to figure out how to get Hypercanvas to work in the styles and right hand voices. Right now it looks like gruelling work for me because I am starting from scratch not really knowing what I'm doing or understanding the terms.

The other thing is I need to figure out how to get my Tyros to work as the controller keyboard. I have succeeded doing that once using Jammer Live. But that is because it is just like an arranger kb control panel. I haven't read any directions on how to use it. I've spent the least amount of time using it out of the 3, yet I can just sit down and do it. Maybe that alone should be telling me something for what direction to take.

Well, see you later.

Scott

#104832 - 06/20/05 03:27 AM Re: Music notation software and scanning music.
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Scott,
using Hypercanvas in either OMB or Jammer Live ( probably same goes for Live Styler)requires additional software.
I use the following
Forte Ensemble ( demo Available)http://www.brainspawn.com/products/forte/
You Load? ( for want of a better word )Hypercanvas into this program.

Asio4All Driver (free) http://www.asio4all.com/
(forte requires particular types of drivers , this one worked for my laptop)

Midi Yoke ( free ) http://www.midiox.com/index.htm?http://www.midiox.com/myoke.htm

It's a virtual midi cable that connects
Forte Ensemble (Hypercanvas) OMB/Jammer Live/Live Styler together.

Your setup in omb becomes Midi IN usb
Midi Out Midi Yoke

Actually if you get this far, you'r only one step away from being able to use soundfonts as well.

Hypercanvas should go well with Jammer Live, but it could cause you some hassles with psr styles & xg drum mapping in omb ie you could get the occasional wrong drum playing.

best wishes
Rikki
p.s. I did leave a bit of a message on your other thread about the tyros & omb.
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Langholff:
Hi Rikki

I really appreciate your help. I am liking all of the programs I am trying now more and more. I suspect that a lot more can be done with OMB, but, I have to admit that I am liking Jammer Live and Live-Styler more and more all the time. Why? Probably because they are set up to look and operate pretty much like a virtual arranger keyboard control panel.

But, I'm going to take my time and play around with all 3 of them. They each seem to have their "issues."

What I am really looking forward to is to figure out how to get Hypercanvas to work in the styles and right hand voices. Right now it looks like gruelling work for me because I am starting from scratch not really knowing what I'm doing or understanding the terms.

The other thing is I need to figure out how to get my Tyros to work as the controller keyboard. I have succeeded doing that once using Jammer Live. But that is because it is just like an arranger kb control panel. I haven't read any directions on how to use it. I've spent the least amount of time using it out of the 3, yet I can just sit down and do it. Maybe that alone should be telling me something for what direction to take.

Well, see you later.

Scott

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#104833 - 06/20/05 05:01 AM Re: Music notation software and scanning music.
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Rikki, it is a humbling experience monitoring your knowledgeable discussions on software based arranger systems. Who would have thought....I better crawl under the heap?????

#104834 - 06/20/05 08:17 AM Re: Music notation software and scanning music.
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Quote:
Originally posted by bruno123:
Sooo, I spend the time placing each note on the staff. The up side is that I can add information on the fly to each song, or change keys with little effort.
C.

What software do you use to input the notes?
Starkeeper

#104835 - 06/20/05 11:47 AM Re: Music notation software and scanning music.
flatfoot Offline

Loc: sacramento CA
Band-in-a-box is my favorite program for printing lead sheets. Once you have the options set up to give an output that looks good to you, all you do is enter melody and chords. This usually goes very fast. BIAB automatically gives a clean and easy-to-read output. Looks good on paper and on the screen. Shopuld work well with your laptop-on-its-side idea.

Douglas Wolfe

#104836 - 06/20/05 01:53 PM Re: Music notation software and scanning music.
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Frank,
haa haa good one.
You taught me well. My terminology is still not the best, but thanks to you I've managed to grasp the concept of how to put it all together.
best wishes
Rikki
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank L. Rosenthal:
Rikki, it is a humbling experience monitoring your knowledgeable discussions on software based arranger systems. Who would have thought....I better crawl under the heap?????

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#104837 - 06/20/05 02:59 PM Re: Music notation software and scanning music.
Scott Langholff Offline

Hi Rikki

Regarding the wrong drum parts possibility with Yamaha styles. I would guess that there is some way to either eliminate the one bad sound or to possibly use one of those programs that Michael Bedesem has created to fix those drum parts in midi songs for Yamaha gear? Do you think that that is a correct assumption?

#104838 - 06/21/05 01:45 AM Re: Music notation software and scanning music.
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Scott,
that's one feature I really luv in OMB, it has a conversion table that you can set up
to suite you. You can do multiple tables & save them to use over & over again. You can even adjust individual drum velocties usingthe conversion table ie your bass drum plays too softly, add a plus velocity of 10, 20 whatever. Your brushes are playing too loud, add a minus velocity. You can use the velocity function even if you don't want to convert the drum notes.

You can veiw it in decimal or note names. I prefer decimal because Jos's note names are an octave or 2 out when you use a synth drum map. He names his notes from a different starting point for instance on my gm drum map C1 no 36 is Bass Drum 1 .
( I think Jos has C3 36 Bass Drum 1)
So setting it to decimal is less confusing and most drum maps have notes & no's.

Apply to Tracks .
Make sure only track 10 and/or 9 are ticked and that they're set to channel 10 in the style. Gm won't?? accept midi channel 9 as a drum track ( at least that's what I beleive)

Next the option of
IN All Parts
what that means is do you want this conversion in all the drum tracks throughout the style. I would say yes, because if you've got a wrong drum in vari a , it's likely to be in one of the other style parts also.

To do a conversion just say convert Bass Drum 2 B0 35 to Bass Drum 1 C1 36.

Stylemaker
Track
Convert
( do the settings above)
Old 35
New 36
Apply

Save the style as "???"a
Test it.
Now if you find you need to convert some more notes, load in the original style, (35/36 will still be setup in the table) do the others you want to change , press apply. Resave as "???"a.
You can also save the conversion table, so that if you find another style that needs converting, you table is already set up.

The reason I keep loading in the original style rather than the edited version ( when I'm building up a conversion table in steps) is mainly out of habit. You can't really botch it up when you're only converting notes, but if you're doing velocities at the same time, each time you press apply you're adding or taking away velocities over & over again.

Hope I'm making some sense.

Also, just in case you haven't tried the stylemaker ( omb), and you really only need to edit the one or 2 notes you could edit them in the events list.
Stylmaker
Events colum
left click the events section of the track you want to edit
choose event list
you'll see the notes in the track. (Remember Jos's notes are different to GM table)

More than likely your wrong drum notes will be any notes below
( jos's B2)= ( GM's B0 )note 35 bass drum 2
or notes above
( jos's C7 )= ( GM's C5) note 84 bell tree.

best wishes
Rikki

p.s. jos has a gm conversion table in the group files, but you're better off doing your own to suit your synth.

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Langholff:
Hi Rikki

Regarding the wrong drum parts possibility with Yamaha styles. I would guess that there is some way to either eliminate the one bad sound or to possibly use one of those programs that Michael Bedesem has created to fix those drum parts in midi songs for Yamaha gear? Do you think that that is a correct assumption?

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 06-21-2005).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#104839 - 06/21/05 12:43 PM Re: Music notation software and scanning music.
Scott Langholff Offline

Thanx for the input so far. I'd really like to hear more from people that are using a laptop or Music Pad Pro and how you are doing it in a way that works out good. Still interested in hearing more about different music notation programs and successful scanning methods. Anybody using PDF's successfully?

Is there a program that allows Music Pad Pro music to be used on a standard laptop or vice versa?

Anyone using Pivot Pro?

All input welcome on this topic.

Scott Langholff

[This message has been edited by Scott Langholff (edited 06-21-2005).]

#104840 - 06/21/05 12:55 PM Re: Music notation software and scanning music.
Scott Langholff Offline

Also, does anyone have collections of music computer ready you want to share or swap?

If so, please email me at:

scott_langholff@yahoo.com

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online