SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#104688 - 04/05/03 08:53 AM Re: Monolith vs double X stand
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
Kinda neat for doing a midi of "Fever" and walking through the audience singing to the ladies.

gary,

send me a video of that routine

#104689 - 04/05/03 09:05 AM Re: Monolith vs double X stand
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Donny, I figured that if anyone was doing this kind of performance it would be you and UD. If I had a video I would be more than happy to send you one, however, it's difficult to shoot video in low-light conditions. However, this is sometimes to my advantage, especially when it's dark enough so the ladies can't tell that they guy singing to them now fits into the "old geezer" category. Last night, I performed Fever using the remote mic and was propositioned by three ladies who all wanted to take my home--good thing the lights were really low!

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#104690 - 04/05/03 09:40 AM Re: Monolith vs double X stand
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I walk into the crowd with a wireless sometimes, but to be honest ..... I don't want them seeing the kb on "auto pilot" too often. There is already too much speculation as to the neccessity of the player. I hate to fan THAT flame. "Working" the crowd is an invaluable tool, no matter how you do it. Getting in their face (usually) is a big hit.

#104691 - 04/05/03 10:15 AM Re: Monolith vs double X stand
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
Hey Scott, Did you ever buy a new stand? After reading what someone said about the possibility of welds breaking and aluminum pins shearing, I looked carefully at the construction of my QuicLoc double X stand. In order for the stand to collapse, you would have to break eight welds--not one, and for the pin, the one in mine is stainless steel--not aluminum. It's rock solid, doesn't bounce, wiggle and even quiver. Because I use two keyboards, I'm always worried about stability--this one is about as stable as they get.

Hi Gary: I agree with you that your double braced X stand offers the stability you need for 2 kbs. In constrast to your more elabarate gig setup, I only need to take along one lightweight keyboard, so luckily my old budget Quiklok X stand has held up & withstood the test of continous usage (10 years +) for those quickie gigs. Scott

#104692 - 04/05/03 08:51 PM Re: Monolith vs double X stand
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi Gary

No I haven't bought a stand yet. Been too busy at work right now. I've just been promoted to manager to the Pensacola and Fort Walton Fletcher Music Centers in the Florida Panhandle. Worlds largest Lowrey organ dealer.

As far as the stands I can see pros and cons for both. I like the idea of the possibility of the Monolith, but the weight and the attachments can only be put on just exactly opposite the way I want them.

I will still think about it a bit. It would be nice if I could see a Monolith locally, but I don't think I'll find one. I know one store has the QLX-21 that opens to the same place everytime its set. I am leaning towards that one because of price, weight, quick set up, less storage space needed, there are a lot of attachments available etc.

So unless its bouncy I will probably get the double X stand.

Scott Langholff

#104693 - 04/05/03 11:43 PM Re: Monolith vs double X stand
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Donny

Are you saying you can leave your mic boom attached to the stand for transport. That would be a nice plus.

Scott Langholff

#104694 - 04/06/03 05:25 AM Re: Monolith vs double X stand
Dnj Offline

Yes Scott,

With Uncle Daves design you leave the
Mic Boom attached AND the Laptop holder also. It just all folds up for transport.
No need for a Mic Stand or a big bulky Lyric book, music stand etc etc ...travlin light is a major concern for us.

#104695 - 04/07/03 05:36 AM Re: Monolith vs double X stand
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Donny, (et al)
I'll try to photograph the "UD-XX" (Uncle Dave's Double X ?) stand for you and maybe you can post it? I never did get the knack of how to do that. Two of my girls are home sick today, so I have some free time on my hands ...... I'll see if I can dig up a snapshot for ya'll!

Basically, I started with an USS IQ2000 stand, but others will fit. "On Stage" and "Quick-Lok" also make stands with similar sized tubing. (28 or 30 mm tubes)

Quick-Lok makes add on sleeves that slide over the end of the tubes and have arms bolted to them. They make mic booms as well as extra kb tiers.

I have a mic boom arm attached to each back end cap, and I modified one of the arms to accommodate a custom fitted tier to hold my laptop. It sits about 2 inches above the kb on my left, and it looks sleek and unobtrusive. This allows me to look at the screen to call up midi files, MP3, etc without turning my head away from the audience. It also provides plenty of light and has a handy clock right on the screen!
(No more fumbling to see a watch, or straining to see in the dark)

From the front two arms ..... I straddle the handle from my rack bag that houses: Harmonizer, mixer, Kosmos and ALL wires and a/c extension cord. I unzip the bag, and all the wires are premeasured and waiting to be plugged in. This puts all controls at my fingertips .... right below the keys. No turning of the head to adjust volumes or tone. No extra gig bag is needed. Everything I need is right there. This means ..... one less thing to have to store during a performance. I store the speaker covers in the kb bag, and that's the only thing that has to be "hidden" during a show. If there is no closet handy, then I can slip it under a table or behind a couch and keep it out of sight.

My basic setup has vocals and pc routed through the mixer and INTO the kb speaker inputs for monitoring. Then I run the outputs of the kb into the KOSMOS and on to the speakers. This serves as a mixer/enhancer and works like a charm.
So ..... a full setup for a moderate to large affair consists of :
1)kb bag
1)rack bag
1)DB-XX stand
2)EV speakers (in bags)
1)laptop
(Smaller affairs ..... less speakers. The sound is always the same ... just louder or quieter as needed) The speakers and laptop are optional. Usually only for larger jobs, where I need music on breaks or more power for dancing. I work 2 rooms each week that have house systems, so bringing the EV's is not necessary
.........I sometimes choose to put the speakers up on sticks, but because of the angle brackets that come with the speakers (sxa100) .... I get great coverage with a cleaner look if I keep the speakers on the floor. They angle UP so volume is dispersed without firing directly at anyone's ears. I rarely get complaints about volume ..... if I do - it's usually ... "turn it up !" (I do that on purpose)

I realize this is boring stuff without pictures, but I can't get to the gear at this time, and I AM sitting at the 'puter so ......... I thought I'd try to describe the system for ya.
I'll work on a shot as soon as I can, but maybe Donny will get his new camera first !

#104696 - 04/07/03 04:07 PM Re: Monolith vs double X stand
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
This also looks like a stable, quick to set up, fold-flat stand. Has anyone tried it?
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/zzoundsmdc/kamkks100.html

Regards,
Alex

#104697 - 04/07/03 05:08 PM Re: Monolith vs double X stand
dlstarry Offline

Loc: MN. U.S.A.
Alex, I got 2 of them I didn't get mine from
zzsounds but it looks exactly like the ones I
have.
Mine are very solid no wiggle or jiggle.
I bought the first one 3.5 yrs. ago with my
KN5000 which I still have.
I liked it so well that I bought another one
for the 9000 Pro.
Enjoying the 9000 PRO
Denny

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online