SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#1040 - 09/28/05 11:11 AM M-audio ProKeys 88 stage piano
Tim_S Offline

Loc: Christiana,PA,USA
What do you guys make of this keyboard? It sure looks like the ticket for someone who wants all the basics and a controller too.

#1041 - 09/28/05 11:49 AM Re: M-audio ProKeys 88 stage piano
to the genesys Offline

Just wish they had a 76 key one.

#1042 - 09/28/05 12:35 PM Re: M-audio ProKeys 88 stage piano
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Tim , search for my review,,

#1043 - 09/28/05 12:37 PM Re: M-audio ProKeys 88 stage piano
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA

#1044 - 09/28/05 07:11 PM Re: M-audio ProKeys 88 stage piano
Tim_S Offline

Loc: Christiana,PA,USA
I thought the same thing about the midi implimentation. If M-audio or someone else would only make a board like the 88 prokeys controller and then add those sounds they would have a bigger hit I think.
It caught my attention because it was comparatively inexpensive and the sounds it did have seem very good from the files I listened to on the M-audio site. I actually thought the piano sounded much better than you did,did you listen to it through a good system? If a large quality sample played through a great audio output doesnt sound good to you,I can only guess you have a pretty particular taste in sounds.
In retrospect, the M-audio 88 key pro keys dedicated midi controller is a little overkill on the knobs for most people I would guess. I have the evolution UC33e and it always has way more knobs than I need for what I do. I usually only need to control volume and maybe an envelope or an effect.When I play the B-3 with it I do use more of the knobs and sliders.The main functions I need are volume control and the ability to change programs quickly on different midi channels.
How was the build quality? I will be taking a controller out six times or more every month plus using it in the studio.

I really like the CME controllers too especially the UF7 mainly because I like the faster action it has.
Most controllers I have looked at so far seem to come up short in one way or another.
The CME controllers look cool,sort of remind me of a Nord,and I belive the UF7 only weighs in at about 26 pounds(a good thing),has room on it for my laptop right where I now keep it on my present keyboard.I am still looking at CME as a top contender.
I also like the M-audio Pro Keys 88, but I am questioning its long term durability and it weighs in at about 50 pounds
I dont want any less than 76 keys and would prefer 88,none of those teeny tiny controllers. It needs to have room for my laptop to sit on it,so none of those skinny 88 key boards will do.
I mostly play piano,electric piano and organ with an occasional pad,so the M-audio stage piano looked good. If it offers the midi control I need then I can play my software synths along with its internal sounds,even though it will probably break my back toting it around
I guess the big question for me is will it really meet my midi needs? I just dont understand why they didn't give it 9 sliders like the real organs have. I would have payed more for it.

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online