SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#104131 - 02/01/02 07:19 AM Re: Best PA System for Music
Shiju Offline

Loc: Atlanta, USA
Thank you Matias,

Which mixer are you suggesting with the above system ?

Shiju

#104132 - 02/01/02 10:15 AM Re: Best PA System for Music
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
If you only need 4 mic inputs - the Mackie 1202 series is hard to beat. Beheringer makes a "knock off" thats cheaper, but the mic pre amps are not as quiet.
If your needs are simple, try this approach:
2)EV Sxa100's (powered)
1)Mackie (or other) powered sub woofer
1)Mackie 1202 vlzpro mixer.

Total cost.... under $2500. - Very portable, and very powerfull.

#104133 - 02/01/02 01:26 PM Re: Best PA System for Music
Anonymous
Unregistered

Shiju,

I would listen to Dave, in what concerns the mixer choice. I tested the Mackie 1202 VLZPro, last year, in a local shop, and it seemed to be a very high quality unit.
When in a solo act, I do not use a mixer (I use the keyboard mic input). Otherwise I use my home studio digital mixer Roland VM3100Pro (20 channels, more than you need) - very good quality - or a small Folio Notepad (Spirit by Soundcraft) mixer, with 4 mic inputs. The later has a two band equalizer and has no built-in effects. It's quality is not close to Mackie's but it's quite cheap.

The price of the basic LUCAS system was the equivalent to $1000, in Europe (with some shopping around), well below your limit. Please check for the price of LUCAS 1000.

José Matias.

#104134 - 02/01/02 02:55 PM Re: Best PA System for Music
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
For solo gigs (most of them these days), I just take one EV SxA100 (or possibly two depending on the room size & venue type) along with my Yammy PSR2000 or Technics KN5000. I never take both keyboards (if I can help it).For gigs where I add other instrumental soloists (horn player, guitarist etc) or a vocalist, I'll take the Mackie 1202. Works and sounds great for a small band and is lightweight & quick to setup. I admit that the EV's have a little amplifier hum, but hardly noticeable unless you're up real close to the speakers. I compared them with the competition and think the Ev's have the smoothest natural (unhyped) frequency response for my taste, perfect for acoustic pop/country & club jazz type gigs.The biggest plus is the size/shape & balanced weight distribution. I had to take back the Mackie SRM450's because not only are they too heavy, but they are difficult to handle because of their odd shape & uneven weight distrubtion. Btw, I generally don't mic the rhythm section (drummer & bassist) The drummer is always loud enough and the bassist usually brings his own amp. - Scott

#104135 - 02/01/02 03:51 PM Re: Best PA System for Music
Shiju Offline

Thank you Uncle Dave, Scottyee & Matias,

What you have suggested is an excellent combination.

What type of monitors should I use along with Mackie 1202 vlzpro mixer ?

Thanks again for your advice.

Shiju

#104136 - 02/02/02 01:13 AM Re: Best PA System for Music
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Monitors will depend on what you want to hear. If it's just vocals ... I'd suggest the Core systems (hot spot) powered monitor. It packs 85watts into a small, stand mounted box about the size of a lunch box. It can also power two more regular hoy spots, so that boosts it up to 144 watts into 3 separate speakers.
For more intense material (bas, drums, etc) you'll need something bigger. The new JBL eon10's are pretty handy - already powered, wedge shaped and sound great.
Monitors should be carefully thought out - they are a VITAL instrument in mantaining your hearing, anbd protecting the audience from too much volume as well.
If you have the mains high up on sticks BEHIND the band, and all you need is a little vocal "in your face" then get the hot spots - all three will cost about $500, and they sit on standard mic stands.
For larger monitors ..... you'll probably need three - one in the back (drummer?) and two out front (singers?)
It's really a very personal thing - plan out the stage positions, and get the right tool for the job!

#104137 - 02/02/02 08:38 AM Re: Best PA System for Music
Shiju Offline

Thanks Uncle Dave....

I love this site. This is an excellent site.

Bye,

Shiju

#104138 - 02/02/02 04:10 PM Re: Best PA System for Music
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you choose the "bigger" aproach proposed by Dave, I can add a sugestion. An excellent monitor that works very well either as a monitor or (for me) as the only sound source - in smaller venues - is ART200A from the italian RCF. RCF was bought by Mackie (one or two years ago, I don't remember well), that is selling now exactly the same product under the very same reference in the "Mackie Industrial" line.

It's a bi-amplified speaker (LF: 140W, HF:40W), weighting 17 Kg. I had the chance to compare JBL EON and RCF/Mackie ART200A. While they are both equivalent in power, the EON as a much more linear frequency response (better for classic or acoustic music), than the ART200A, with clearly boosted low and high frequencies (better for electronic music applications).

More information: http://www.mackieindustrial.com/Products/Art_Series/ART200A/ART200A.html

Good shopping!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online