Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#104084 - 12/30/04 09:21 PM Re: Wanted: a review of Roland G70
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi:
Im new to arranger keyboards
returning to music as a hobby from a long hiatus (im a physics professor by day).
I've been agonizing between Roland G-70 and Korg Pa1xpro. I have played
piano, violin and sang in the past but
never arranged or composed though Im
looking to start as Ive always wanted to.

In listening to the demos,
they both have their plusses and minuses it seems, and I know only Korg has sampling.
I dont think the 64 vs 128 polyphony
is going to matter too much for me
(but actually Im not sure!).
I am definitely interested in a good vocal processor at least 4 part harmony
both seem to pass I this respect.
Im also more interested in realistic sounds
than in synth type sounds. Piano,
sax, drums guitar..etc.

So does anyone have any words of advice
on this decision?
I think an arranger rather than
e.g. a Fantom is for me, so Ive narrowed
that down. Cost is less of a concern
than understanding the choices.

Thanks for any help!
-Eric

p.s. will winter NAMM 05 reveal any new 76 key arranger keyboards from Korg or Yamaha?

#104085 - 01/05/05 12:23 PM Re: Wanted: a review of Roland G70
ironhill Offline

Loc: NRW, Germany
Hi,
today I try giving to you all a first report of my impression working with the Roland G-70. I hope
my knowledge of the English language is sufficient enough to find the right words.
Till now I played a Roland VA76 coupled with the Yamaha Tyros because I love the keyfeel of
the board that much and I have an additional character of sounds and styles for my music.
But now the facts not yet discussed in the forum:
The weight of the board is high (about 20 Kg) but it seems to be in order to a very solid case.
The operating is very, very easy in all applications. Much better than ever Roland Keyboards
have been. The touch sreen works very well. The overview is better as on all other keyboards
I know. But the screen is a little bit small so you possibly need a pair of glasses. Loading
songs or styles from external memory (I use a 256MB CF card) nearly takes no time.Cover and
Makeup Tools are fanfastic in acc on effect. A second splitpoint divide Upper 1/2 with the
Upper 3 Part. It effects the coupled Yamaha Tyros too in the same way (if you choose the
accurate Midi adjustment on both instruments). Very usefull are the 2 left parts.In my opinion a
highligth is the Music Assistant. Not concerning the precondition but in case of users effect.
Base are the complete User Programs. The assistant builds the finder by Name, Artist and
Genre. After select the complete User Program you can use the One touch settings to select
four complet sound and variation settings. All that takes only a second of time! Additional
there are finders for songs, styles and user programms without music assistant help. After
deleting the Roland presets (I don't need them) the internal memory shows 40MB freespace.
Thats' really a lot. (Tyros=3.3MB) Chaining of songs works without a pause, if you wish it.
The sliders are assignable for organ, tone volume, panpot, reverb chorus and mute
(for keyboard parts, songs and styles) Tone edit comprise modulation, envelope and filter (TVF).
The results of all tone updates have to save in user programs. The G-70 has no tone savearea.
But that is no problem. The Dbeam provides a lot of show effects. Octav setting can realtime
taken on the screen. (-4 to +4 to get guitar noice or some what) Tranpose is provided on the
panel. Some functions I didn't test because I need my user programs first. Don't ask me about
the overall Sound. I not finaly sure about that. It is a hard work to set the Equalizer, the
Compressor, the sound effects for a particular voice. At the afternoon I find my settings very
good, the next morning crap. But I think it is a normal feeling in acc on electronic instruments.
Most of the styles of all Pop categories sound good to me. Other classes are often filled with
old VA styles. They are more dynamic, but old is old. The function 'Style creater' that has been
announced in the first pictures of the 16-track sequencer is not yet implemented. May be with
the next update. Regards Hanspeter

#104086 - 01/05/05 12:33 PM Re: Wanted: a review of Roland G70
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Thanks for taking the time to post your review. We'll be interested to hear more from you as you explore your new instrument.
DonM

#104087 - 01/05/05 02:05 PM Re: Wanted: a review of Roland G70
ironhill Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
Thanks for taking the time to post your review. We'll be interested to hear more from you as you explore your new instrument.
DonM

I may be wrong, but I think there is a kind of arrogance in your post. What especialy
do you want to know. A report of comparing the G-70 with your Tyros (mine too) dosn't make you happy, really.
Regards Hanspeter

#104088 - 01/05/05 02:51 PM Re: Wanted: a review of Roland G70
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
Hanspeter,

Thank you for posting your review. A question: does each Performance Memory store 4 One-Touch settings?

Also, the VA7/76 had a function of "Supertones", which were callable quickly, as opposed to wading through pages of sounds. Is there anything similar in G70?

Another question: in the G1000 (and G800) one of my pet peeves is that sounds are interspersed through wrong groups (e.g. a guitar listed among variations of Saxes). Is this fixed in G70?

Best regards,
Alex

#104089 - 01/05/05 05:23 PM Re: Wanted: a review of Roland G70
ironhill Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex K:
Hanspeter,

Thank you for posting your review. A question: does each Performance Memory store 4 One-Touch settings?

Also, the VA7/76 had a function of "Supertones", which were callable quickly, as opposed to wading through pages of sounds. Is there anything similar in G70?

Another question: in the G1000 (and G800) one of my pet peeves is that sounds are interspersed through wrong groups (e.g. a guitar listed among variations of Saxes). Is this fixed in G70?

Best regards,
Alex

Hallo Alex,
first question: no, the One-Touch settings are a component of a style. There are three kind of styles.
1. The internal styles associate with the VA selecting A and B
2. The database coupling with Disk (means external) styles like VA selecting C
3. Disk or external styles
The first kind are the 'factory styles' with OTS presets, it is possible to make your own OTS,
you can store the updates within the Bank of the performance set. (144 items of a User program).
Or a new style.
The second kind are styles you can assign your own OTS, there are no presets
The third one you can select, but not assign your own OTS
So, each Performance Memory is related in the best way to styles type one or two.
Sorry, I now understand your Question, if you have more than 120 different individual styles
with different OTS it is not possible to follow my suggestion for all performance banks.
The facotory presets excluded. But is it necessary?
So, the highest level marks the music assistant, the next deeper level the user programm. After that
the style with lastly the four one touch settings.

second question: The G-70 has the possibility to choose a 'best selection' of sounds. That means,
most of the nearly 1600 tones are excluded from selection panel. That is the same idea, but it's not
the same. Normaly you have to select out of 3 pages. But the very good sounds you can select at
the first page.

third question: the G-70 has 16 selection keys to choose tones. Five of them have two meanings,
so Elec.Guitar and Bass. The display shows at the left side the guitar names, at the rigth side the
bass names. Otherwise there are 21 selection keys on the board. I think it is a compromise.
Hopeful my answers hit your questions, with best regards: Hanspeter

#104090 - 01/05/05 07:18 PM Re: Wanted: a review of Roland G70
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by ironhill:
I may be wrong, but I think there is a kind of arrogance in your post. What especialy
do you want to know. A report of comparing the G-70 with your Tyros (mine too) dosn't make you happy, really.
Regards Hanspeter

Ironhill, you are VERY wrong. First, I have absolutely nothing to be arrogant about. Also, I would replace the Tyros in a minute if, or rather when, I find something better. I am very interested in all the new technology. I change keyboards on the average of once a year, and I've had the Tyros almost a year.
I know sometimes it's difficult to communicate when our native languages are different. Unfortunately I don't have a second language, and I'm in awe of those of us who do.
I fully expect to replace the Tyros in the next few months. I'm just trying to decide which way to go, same as everyone else.
DonM

#104091 - 01/05/05 11:47 PM Re: Wanted: a review of Roland G70
g,mon Offline

IronHill said "The G-70 has the possibility to choose a 'best selection' of sounds. That means,most of the nearly 1600 tones are excluded from selection panel. That is the same idea, but it's not the same. Normaly you have to select out of 3 pages. But the very good sounds you can select at the first page."

I am also the owner of A G70 but I cannot find how to do the above ie set sort of supertones. Could you kindly write more details on how to do this

Thanks

#104092 - 01/06/05 03:00 AM Re: Wanted: a review of Roland G70
ironhill Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:

Ironhill, you are VERY wrong. First, I have absolutely nothing to be arrogant about. Also, I would replace the Tyros in a minute if, or rather when, I find something better. I am very interested in all the new technology. I change keyboards on the average of once a year, and I've had the Tyros almost a year.
I know sometimes it's difficult to communicate when our native languages are different. Unfortunately I don't have a second language, and I'm in awe of those of us who do.
I fully expect to replace the Tyros in the next few months. I'm just trying to decide which way to go, same as everyone else.
DonM

O.K. DonM, I got it.
Regards Hanspeter

#104093 - 01/06/05 04:00 AM Re: Wanted: a review of Roland G70
ironhill Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by g,mon:
IronHill said "The G-70 has the possibility to choose a 'best selection' of sounds. That means,most of the nearly 1600 tones are excluded from selection panel. That is the same idea, but it's not the same. Normaly you have to select out of 3 pages. But the very good sounds you can select at the first page."

I am also the owner of A G70 but I cannot find how to do the above ie set sort of supertones. Could you kindly write more details on how to do this

Thanks

Hallo, g,mon
you reach the mode as follows:
push MENU
select field UTILITY
select START UP if necessary
choose BEST SELECTION within SOUND SET MODE
This will reduce the sound offer down to 700. Of course, this will not solve all selection problems you can have, but it is a little help. I personal store my sound combination on specific user programs on CF card. (that is important to do not collid with normal user programs on internal memory) The names I use for my sounds for instance are 'Piano/strings', 'Piano latin',
'Epi the best' and so on. If I need one of the combination or a solo sound i can select it by the user program finder using the HOLD function. I'm very content with the method.
Regards Hanspeter

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online