SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#103739 - 03/15/05 06:23 PM Ordering Wires
Pennywizz6 Offline

Loc: Shakopee, MN, USA
Hello,

It about time to start ordering some supplys for my studio. I will be running a bunch of instrument cables into 1/4 wall plates.

Where is the cheapest place to get about 150-200ft of instrument cable and 50feet of XLR cable.'

Thanks,

Phil

#103740 - 03/15/05 09:29 PM Re: Ordering Wires
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Once on the subject, could somebody please clarrify:

I have quite a bit of equipment and everything is wired with balanced cables.

Now, would it make sense to use balanced cables as outputs from my Yamaha Tyros? Why is it that we always use regular line TS cables for instruments?

And why do keyboards come with two (L & R) outputs? Why not just one TRS (Left, Right and Shield)? It seems to work for the headphone output!

Also, are the 1/4 inch inputs and outputs on a standard mixer or interface TRS capable? Or just TS?

I'm just trying to make the most secure connections possible, and it seems balanced is the best way to do this. I'm just not sure if balanced will work with all machines.

Please clarrify!! Thank you
Chony

[This message has been edited by chony (edited 03-15-2005).]

#103741 - 03/16/05 05:01 AM Re: Ordering Wires
Roel Offline

Chony,

A balanced cable only does NOT make a connection 'balanced'. A balanced link needs a balanced-output, balanced cable and a balanced-input.
'Balanced' means :
1. signal +
2. signal -
3. ground.

Balanced I/O is more expensive, what will probably be the main reason it it no standard solution.
Especially low-voltage signals (mikes etc.) are sensitive to pickup external (eg radio) signals and in this cases it is very useful to use balanced interfaces because they make it very hard for ext. signals to 'come in'.
(A positive amplitude on the signal+ wire will cause an oposite effect on the signal- wire : total = Zero)

In fact I dislike jacks because they get dirty very easy what causes bad contacts.

#103742 - 03/16/05 05:52 AM Re: Ordering Wires
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Quote:
Originally posted by chony:
Once on the subject, could somebody please clarrify:

I have quite a bit of equipment and everything is wired with balanced cables.

Now, would it make sense to use balanced cables as outputs from my Yamaha Tyros? Why is it that we always use regular line TS cables for instruments?

There is no benefit to using balanced cables with your Tyros, mainly because the only connection is the tip and sleeve. The ring of the TRS connector plugged into the Tyros does not make contect with anything.

And why do keyboards come with two (L & R) outputs? Why not just one TRS (Left, Right and Shield)? It seems to work for the headphone output!

I believe the reasoning behind this is for connection to a full stereo system, such as a pair or powered speakers that are not connected through a mixer. This is how my Barbettas are set up, and a single TRS output would require splitters and adapter plugs.

Also, are the 1/4 inch inputs and outputs on a standard mixer or interface TRS capable? Or just TS?

With all the mixers I've owned, which is a half-dozen, none have been TRS capable.

I'm just trying to make the most secure connections possible, and it seems balanced is the best way to do this. I'm just not sure if balanced will work with all machines.

The best instrument and speaker connections are made using heavy-gauge, stranded, coaxile cable. Heavier wires provide better conduction because they have lower impedience, and this is particularly beneficial when using low-voltage systems, which applies to the vast majority of the equipment we now work with.

Please clarrify!! Thank you
Chony

[This message has been edited by chony (edited 03-15-2005).]

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#103743 - 03/16/05 05:56 AM Re: Ordering Wires
travlin'easy Offline

Phil,

The best supplies of wiring and cable in bulk is usually local electronic stores, however, not Radio Shack. Their cable prices are out of this world. Internet supplies are usually not very expensive, but because cable is heavy, shipping cost are usually expensive, thereby, making the cost per foot very high. Look in the phone book's yellow pages under electronic parts or supplies, and also under wire. Then make a few phone calls and compare prices.

Good luck on your project and keep us posted about your progress,

Gary

#103744 - 03/16/05 06:32 AM Re: Ordering Wires
HankB Offline

Loc: Bossier City, La. USA
Try this company http://www.cheaplights.com
Hank

#103745 - 03/16/05 07:01 AM Re: Ordering Wires
Frostbyte Offline

Loc: World Citizen
or these guys...
www.markertek.com

#103746 - 03/16/05 11:36 AM Re: Ordering Wires
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
a single TRS output would require splitters and adapter plugs.

Gary, this implies that using my headphones output will give me THE SAME quality as using the L and R main outs. Is this correct?

Chony

#103747 - 03/16/05 11:52 AM Re: Ordering Wires
travlin'easy Offline

Chony,

Much of this depends on the keyboard. In some instances, the headphone out will produce a fair degree of high frequency hiss because of a slight impedience mismatch, but this is not always the case. Some of the less expensive Yamaha boards only had a single output, which could be used for headset or standard output, and they were equipped with a single, stereo (TSR) jack. I also know of a few Tyros users who claimed good results as well, but most were sending the signal through a mixer before going to a stereo amp. Give it a try and let your ears be the final judge.

Cheers,

Gary

#103748 - 03/16/05 01:15 PM Re: Ordering Wires
Pennywizz6 Offline

Loc: Shakopee, MN, USA
Thank for the replies, I think I found some that would work well and is quite cheap. http://www.cheaplights.com/catalog/01_info.php?sec=428 Its the bottom one. Can I connect Banana's 1/4's and XLR's with that cable?

Thanks,

Phil

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online