SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#103678 - 01/01/04 09:40 AM Whew! It's finally over...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Last night was my 11th year of hosting New Year's Eve, a time when many of the people that you rarely get to see all get together and party hearty. Last night was no exception, othen than Glenn did not drive down from Ohio. You missed a good one Glenn.

Forty-two people arrived, consumed the free world's supply of shrimp, fillet mignon, crab balls, kabassa, other assorted snacks, and enough wine, champange and beer to float the battleship New Jersey. The music began at 10 and concluded at 2 a.m. with "Show Me The Way To Go Home." Brewed a big pot of coffee and the last guests left at 3 a.m..

There's still enough food and booze to hold another celebration later in the week, but I think I'll call the children and tell them to take all this fattening stuff out of here--just don't touch my Kickapoo Joy Juice kids!

I sincerely want to wish everyone on the Snythzone a very Happy New Year and hope you all have a healthy and prosperous 2004.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#103679 - 01/01/04 09:56 AM Re: Whew! It's finally over...
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Gary, there were about the same number of people at your party as the one I played at Barksdale AFB!
It was a reservations-only dinner-dance at the Officers Club and catered to retirees. Everyone in attendance was pretty old, except some brought their grandchildren.
I started about 6:15, took a break to eat (prime rib) about 8:00, and everyone was gone by 9:30.
I was home by 10:30 and barely stayed awake to see in the New Year.
The main problem was lack of publicity. There was no advertisement aside from a little sign or two, and really very few people knew there was to be entertainment or who it was to be.
The affair was switched from the Ballroom to the Dining Room because of the low number of reservations, but they neglected to tell me, so I took the big equipment. I never turned anything above about 2 or 3 and in fact could have probably played with just the keyboard speakers!
It's the first NY party I ever played that I didn't play Old Lang Syne!
Now to watch some football!
Happy New Year everybody!
DonM

#103680 - 01/01/04 10:44 AM Re: Whew! It's finally over...
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
The party I played was also 90% retirees...about 200 of them. I play for them several times a year and sometimes find it hard to "find the Handle" that gets them in a party mood. But, last night was fantastic. Quiet dinner music from 8-9:30...then took it up about 10 notches in volume and tempos...with everything from Rock & Roll, Line Dances and Country...oh and some Dixieland. No matter what I played, the dance floor packed out.

So, I ask myself why was it so different for that group last night? They thought it was my duo and the music....but the truth is it was their mindset. They came expecting more of a raucus good time and I added fuel to the mindset by keeping it tight and very uptempo (approx. 3-4 fast for every slow tune). At the end of the gig I got a job to do a member's birthday party at the club this coming Sunday.

Nice way to start the new year...oh yeah and it was a nice paycheck. Happy New Year to all.
Eddie

#103681 - 01/01/04 11:12 AM Re: Whew! It's finally over...
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I've found that the crowd always "tells" me what to do, either by words or actions. If you watch them, they usually show you what will work.

I had an easy one last night. It's a mostly Jewish clientelle and their "New Year" is a whole different celebration, so this was more of a tame, end-of-year party. We did our share of "kickin' it up", but the entire thing was over by 12:15 and I was in the car and driving away exactly 1/2 hour after the last note died out. It was a thing of beauty.

I beat all the drunks home too. Whoo Hoo.
Have a happy New Year folks !

#103682 - 01/01/04 11:17 AM Re: Whew! It's finally over...
KN_Fan Offline

Spent it with around 30 people at my friends place. I brought my KN6000 with me (composer got intermittent problems, but hey- other than that it still works ). Boy, I have been playing my Triton Studio for a while, the key feel is SOO much different. I was awkward the first two minutes into the first song.

Oh- btw, everybody was from the church I used to go to, so no wines, beers, or any similar beverages. Safe to say that's my driest new year ever!

#103683 - 01/01/04 11:44 AM Re: Whew! It's finally over...
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Easy gig - same as last year at a nearby island regime beach house on the Atlantic. About 250 people, lots of dancing, excellent money. Played 9-12:30 and the first song was a highly-stylized version of "Thanks For The Memories" and the last song was "When A Man Loves A Woman". I booked this last February and I already have two clients interested in next NYE, including the client from last night who wanted me to commit for next NYE on the spot (I declined - let the bidding begin!). BTW: did the gig with just my 9000 Pro and Motion Sound KP-200s amp - more than enough volume, great tone as always, for entertaining a medium sized room it doesn't get much easier than that.

#103684 - 01/01/04 04:00 PM Re: Whew! It's finally over...
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Glad to hear everyone had good New Year's Eve gigs. All my New Years Eve gigs (3) went well too. Enthusiatic crowds, lots of good food & drink, and came home with generous tips as well. By the time I arrived at my 3rd New Years gig event, it was time to let my hair down and really get down & PARTY! AS a result, today I'm feeling a bit hung over and have a raw & hoarse voice. Ok, time to go find the Alka Seltzer. Happy New Year to EVERYBODY! - Scott

#103685 - 01/01/04 05:50 PM Re: Whew! It's finally over...
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Scott....C'mon, YOU, hung over?
really?

#103686 - 01/01/04 09:21 PM Re: Whew! It's finally over...
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
UD . . . you can't always judge a book by its cover.

#103687 - 01/01/04 09:42 PM Re: Whew! It's finally over...
KN_Fan Offline

UD,
Don't be mean to Scott- I heard he drank quite a bit, at least a couple Budlites, right Scott?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online