SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#103557 - 09/20/02 01:32 AM More Tyros demos......
svpworld Offline

Loc: UK
New Tyros demos including mega voices and sweet, check them out!
http://svpworld.com/tyrosreview.htm#sounds

Regards
Simon

------------------
http://www.svpworld.com

#103558 - 09/20/02 04:25 AM Re: More Tyros demos......
trtjazz Offline

Simon,
Very cool....the finger slides and pick sounds....outstanding. I haven't been this excited about getting a new board, for my last 4 boards.
Thanks for the link.
Terry

#103559 - 09/20/02 04:30 AM Re: More Tyros demos......
svpworld Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by trtjazz:
Simon,
Very cool....the finger slides and pick sounds....outstanding. I haven't been this excited about getting a new board, for my last 4 boards.
Thanks for the link.
Terry

Yes its pretty impressive, needless to say though I really cannot get excited about the KN7000....

Simon

------------------

#103560 - 09/20/02 06:53 AM Re: More Tyros demos......
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Whew!
Those Mega voices are wonderful. I might have to convince my self to at least TRY this thing,even though I have a NO tolerance policy for "speakerless" boards. Maybe I'll use it in the studio if it's as good as the demo suggests. That guitar strum is terrific.
OK - Donny ..... see ya for breakfast !

#103561 - 09/20/02 07:11 AM Re: More Tyros demos......
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm also impressed with the quality of these demos. But I wonder if a keyboardist can sound THIS realistic, with just a bunch of keys under his fingers... An important part of the overall effect comes from the instrument technique and not just from the static sample sound. Aren't these demos produced with midi instruments using the keyboard as a sound module?...

-- José.

[This message has been edited by matias (edited 09-20-2002).]

#103562 - 09/20/02 07:35 AM Re: More Tyros demos......
New Yorker Offline

Loc: St. Petersburg, Russia
Sounds awesome!

But are we talking about only 10 of mege voices? Not much, huh?

#103563 - 09/20/02 07:54 AM Re: More Tyros demos......
svpworld Offline

The megavoices are intended to give this keyboard instrument an "acoustic" edge, that is to add the sparkle of a life performance by emulating the fundamental acoustic and rhythm instruments, the guitar and bass. The Sweet! voices give solo's the edge in realism, the Live! voices add presence and dynamics (e.g. the Live! Drum kits and strings, pianos and Brass) whilst the Cool! voices add warmth and character, e.g. the Jazz guitars and electric piano.

Certainly performing live with the megavoices is probably out of the question, and I dont think that was Yamaha's intention. They are added for creating authentic backing tracks, styles and accompaniment and with the right programming and playing techniques, they give the user more creativity and potential. No matter how good a player you are, its frustrating to be held back by cheesy sounds. On the contrary, if you cant play very well, dont expect to get the best out of these new sounds.

I agree that 10 megavoices doesnt sound much, but then a guitarist doesnt own 10 guitars and a bass player doesnt usually have several basses to play. No doubt in the future we will see more of these "megavoices" appearing in new models, I expect yamaha will begin to introduce them into their psr range with time for enhancing the styles. remember the tyros has a whopping 96MB of voice wave memory, thats more than any other keyboard I know of. Most of that is consumed by these voices, so they do require considerable resources.
As always, the demos are slick and will show off what can be done with the right skills.. as to achieving the same yourself, only time will tell! But it will be fun trying!!!!

Simon

------------------

#103564 - 09/23/02 10:22 AM Re: More Tyros demos......
Midnite Rider Offline

Loc: Whittier, CA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by New Yorker:
Sounds awesome!
But are we talking about only 10 of mege voices? Not much, huh?

Incredible!

I think some of you guys are missing the point. Those 10 Mega voices were used in many (most? all?) of the 300 styles, and they can be used in any of your custom styles, if you have the wherewithall to take advantage of them. I'll probably never be skilled enough to play those guitar demos, Mega voices or no Mega voices, but I can play those styles now! Thanks for posting the demos Simon.

Later,

Midnite

#103565 - 09/23/02 11:19 AM Re: More Tyros demos......
Beakybird Offline

There's a program, Rhythm 'n Chords that works with Cakewalk and Sonar. With it, you can emulate guitar strums and picking with a midi instrument like a keyboard. It's a fantastic program. With it, you get a large rhythm library. So, yes, one can create custom styles with these mega voices if they have Rhythm n Chords - or a midi guitar.

Beakybird

#103566 - 09/23/02 12:41 PM Re: More Tyros demos......
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
From the Tyros manual and what I've read in other places, I get the impression that you cannot select or use the MegaVoices at all, even in creating your own custom styles. You can immitate a MegaVoice though. If I'm right then a MegaVoice is just a stack of existing individual sounds on the Tyros seperated by velocity zones. Example: an acoustic guitar MegaVoice could have the following individual voices in it: acoustic guitar (possibly seperate voices for high and low tones), acoustic guitar pluck, ac. gtr harmonic/overtone, slide noise, etc. You can select and play those individual sounds yourself, sequence with them, and create custom styles with them by assigning each sound to a midi channel and using lots of midi channels... say five or six to get a psuedo-MegaVoice guitar. And instead of using six notes of polyphony to make a six-string acoustic guitar you might use far more. Yamaha can use the real MegaVoices to get all of those sounds with just one midi channel and probably has a custom sequencer/style creator program and/or a specialized controller setup for preventing overlapping sounds, thereby freeing up more free midi channels/memory/polyphony for other sounds when the MegaVoices are used in performance. This would have the clever side effect of making you rely on Yamaha for more styles that take full advantage of the MegaVoices. Or I've totally missed the boat here and sank to the bottom of the lake...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online