SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#103532 - 01/02/01 05:42 AM Retriggering Arranger Section Korg PA-80 ??
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.
Hi there,

What I am particularly interested in about the new Korg PA-80 is the triggering/retriggering of chords in the arranger section. To the best of my knowledge, all previous Korg arranger keyboards retriggered ALL NOTES in the arranger section as soon as changing chords.
So in other words in changing from one chord to the other you would also hear (once) all the notes of the keys you played with the sounds of the instruments used in the accompaniment. (thus creating a sort of a bang....). No other brand of keyboard has this,in my eyes, deficiency, and I would like to know if the PA-80 has still got this
approach, it was particularly noticable in the 8 and 16 beat styles.By the way, apparently I (and others) were wrong in assuming the PA 80 was not yet on the market.

#103533 - 01/02/01 07:47 AM Re: Retriggering Arranger Section Korg PA-80 ??
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Hi John,
I'm waiting on the PA80 too, but let me suggest an alternate style of play for you. I've used most of the Korgs and I currently use an I5s (hard to believe, huh?)The reason is this: I mostly just use the drums, manual bass and piano(mostly electric)in my shows - but when I use the arranger - I turn OFF the chord sound in the left hand. This frees up space, noise and polyphony for me to embellish with MY chords and melody in the right hand. I rarely play a single note melody over an arrangement unless it is a big band piece like "Moonlight Serenade" or "Begin the beguine" - they work OK, but I'd much rather treat the "band" as a smaller ensemble that follows my chords to a TEE! I'm on the left hand bass 90% of the night and the complexity of the arrangement comes from a mix of the right hand chords and the 4 part vocal harmonies I feature in the style of the "4 Freshman, Mills Bros, Beach Boys etc.)I hate the sound of a constant drone comming from the left hand of an arrangement, while I'm trying to fill in the holes with my right hand. Just a thought. It works well for me. The only real thing I expect to need on the new Korg is a layer for the right hand and a better sequencer. You cannnot layer a right hand sound and use left hand bass at the same time. (bummer)

#103534 - 01/02/01 10:00 AM Re: Retriggering Arranger Section Korg PA-80 ??
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.
Hi Uncle Dave,

I get your drift concerning the left hand accompaniment but I'm afraid I am not that good with my left hand, at least not in tickling the ivories. Mind you, I can live with that, and therfor it is imperative to me that a keyboard has good arrangements, preferably over more than just 1 or2 bars.
The "retriggering problem" as observed by me
only occurs in the Korg keyboards, hence my
question. It is not a big deal anyway, because if this has not been remedied in the
new PA-80 I will simply look elsewhere.
Incidentally, I hope to play the Korg in a
nearby shop later on this week. So I let you
know my first impressions as soon as I can.
Best wishes, and happy New Year>>>>>>

john.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online