SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#103361 - 04/25/03 09:58 AM Audio card for laptop, don't miss the boat.
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Some inside info: Digigram took back distribution rights from Fostex on their VX pocket V2 PCMCIA sound card..This card retails for $749 and a street price average of $500..Fostex liquidated their stock to a few dealers [Sam Ash },, You can buy this great card for $200[when the stock is depleted, it goes back to the old price[$397 dealer cost/$500 street]..Don't miss out . The card comes with breakout cable for every professional application, drivers are included[including ASIO].24 bit recording and playback. Digital and analog inputs and outputs, SMPTE,software window mixer..This is the answer for Pro recording quality using our laptops, at a price I couldn't resist..So I thought I would pass the info to you guys and gals..

#103362 - 04/25/03 10:57 AM Re: Audio card for laptop, don't miss the boat.
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Just FYI: I've heard from some people who bought this that the reason this unit has dropped in price so much is that there are problems with real-time latency when trying to apply plug-in audio effects with programs like Cubase. Apprently if you sing into it and apply an effect like reverb, you'll get a disagreeable amount of delay that'll make it very difficult to sing on cue. The other reason this is being blown out is because there are a host of hot Firewire and USB 2.0 audio interfaces coming out this summer.

#103363 - 04/25/03 01:59 PM Re: Audio card for laptop, don't miss the boat.
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
The most common mistake that users of software, recording and soft synth,,,they use the wrong drivers within the selected programs they use..Many people select emulated drivers,,you should not , and quality companies as Native Instruments make mention of this fact..You should select direct drivers or when applicable Asio...My programs run at 15-20 ms, there is no noticeable latency.. The true story of the discounted price is as I stated above..PS: the benefit of a PCMCIA is no need for outboard hardware;[USB and Firewire, need hardware]..and PCMCIA is fast..

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 04-25-2003).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online