SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#103033 - 02/27/02 04:34 AM What's the deal with the retail value on the PSR Survival Packs?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I noticed something a little odd... I checked out several places and even though some give the surivial pack for free, there seems to be some miss printing of the retail value. I've seen 3 so far and they are $29.99, $49.99, and $119.00 Which one is it? Is this a marketing scheme to make the buyer think they're getting a good deal?

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#103034 - 02/27/02 05:39 AM Re: What's the deal with the retail value on the PSR Survival Packs?
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Squeak,

Of course it is a marketing trick. They must have been taking lessons from the "Ronco" infomercials. Thirty years ago the organ dealer for whom I worked used the double + 10% markup policy. If cost was 1000 dollars the "retail" price was listed as $2200. That way he could give everyone a great price for their trade-in. Maybe he learned this from the car dealers.

Tom

Tom

#103035 - 02/27/02 07:10 AM Re: What's the deal with the retail value on the PSR Survival Packs?
Beakybird Offline

The physical product itself is worthless, in the case of the PSR2000 - cheap headphones, flimsy footpedal, throwaway software. But if you want an extended warranty on your keyboard, you better get it and fill out the consumer questionaire disguised as a product registration form.

Larry

#103036 - 02/27/02 08:08 AM Re: What's the deal with the retail value on the PSR Survival Packs?
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Yes ...the retail prices on the value paks is screwed up .... NO QUESTION . I am baffled ..........dano

#103037 - 02/27/02 09:58 AM Re: What's the deal with the retail value on the PSR Survival Packs?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Beakybird:
if you want an extended warranty on your keyboard, you better get it and fill out the consumer questionaire disguised as a product registration form.Larry

In the case of the PSR2000, I wonder what the 'extended warranty' will actually cover. The warranty does not cover physical damage or problems due to normal 'wear and tear'. My biggest concern is the keys eventually giving out (breaking? :eek) or buttons contacts wearing out. I bet Yamaha may exclude these things from coverage as 'wear and tear', especially beyond the normal warranty period. I guess only time will tell. Keeping my fingers crossed. - Scott

#103038 - 02/27/02 10:27 AM Re: What's the deal with the retail value on the PSR Survival Packs?
Nobby Offline

Loc: Palmyra Mo. U.S.A.
I can see where there might at least two prices on the pack, because they're are at least two different packs!
The one I got didn't have a mic & cord with it! The dealer had to stock a certain amount
of boards to get the #2pack. Most dealers gave them to you with the purchase of your board.
But I agree the head set was junk! The switch, awww useable.
Sometimes when I reach for it it's not where
I thought A left it! Then I have to take my toe and pull it back into place, while I'm tring to keep everything else going! Ha!
I've no doubt that it was a sales gimmic, like the OS in flash memory which wasn't.
I don't know how they can take such a great arranger board, and cut it so short of some the things that would make it Super Great!!!
My Opinion guys,
Nobby

------------------

#103039 - 02/27/02 03:16 PM Re: What's the deal with the retail value on the PSR Survival Packs?
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
I'm at my store and looking at the Yamaha Confidential dealer price list. There are 6 different survival kits plus the one vocal kit and one survival kit 2 which includes a case and a stand. The following are the prices right out of the price list.
Survival kit 1 (A) PA3B adapter, two year extended Warranty, Stereo Headphones, Yamaha survival kit CD-ROM (for DD35 and YPR50) MSRP $24.95.
Survival kit 1 (B) same as above but add a Yamaha Foot Switch (PSR170,PSR225GM,PSRGX76,PSR282,EZ20 MSRP $39.95
Survival Kit 1(C) PA6 power adapter instead of PA3B and no foot switch (DJXII and DD55) $49.90
Survival Kit 1 (D) All products with Survival Kit 1 (B) but with PA6 power supply instead of PA3B (PSR350,PSR550 and EZ30) MSRP $59.90
Survival Kit 1 (E) Foot switch, two year warranty, stereo headphones and CD-ROM (PSR1000) MSRP $39.90
Survival Kit 1 (F) Foot switch, two year warranty, sterea headphones with volume control, CD-ROM (PSR2000) MSRP $59.90
Vocal kit - Audix microphone, 20ft. cable with 1/4 cable, carrying case, microphone clip, and a disk that contains 12 licensed hits from Elvis, Frank Sinatra, Stevie Wonder, and more MSRP $79.95.
Survival Kit 2- Sturdy X Stand and custom portable keyboard Bag with oversized extra pockets, shoulder strap, and a limited lifetime warranty. Bag and stand work with all 49 -61 key PSR keyboards up to PSR2000.MSRP $89.95.
Most stores that purchase in large quantity from Yamaha have been given special prices on these products and usually include these at no extra charge to their customers. However, understand that if you are a small dealer, you will pay more for these than those buying in larger quanity. So that I can offer these at no extra charge, I make sure to order large enough orders to qualify for the better prices.
I hope this helps clear up what comes and how much the price really should be.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online