SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#102525 - 02/14/05 12:31 PM can someone explain to me banks and registrations on a Tyros
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
fro the life of me I can not understand the banks and registration system of the Tyros, It's killing me

Is there a place I can look this stuff up?

I know Scott will know, but I need it dumbed down for me,

thanks

#102526 - 02/14/05 12:47 PM Re: can someone explain to me banks and registrations on a Tyros
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Frank,
First, there is a lot of information on www.psrtutorial.com

Basically, there are 8 registrations per bank.
You can save almost anything you want to a registration. When you push the Save button at the end of the row of registration buttons, a screen will appear that allows you to select the parameters you want to save.
One of the most confusing aspects of the system is that AFTER you set up a bank of registrations, saving each as you go, you then must save the BANK, or your registrations will be lost when you turn off the keyboard or change registration banks. At the time you save the registration BANK, you will be given an opportunity to rename the bank. If you don't rename the bank, you will overwrite the current registration bank instead of saving it as a new bank.
There is a dedicated button to show the list of registration banks, and you can also push the Direct Access button, then any registration button to get information on the registrations.
Once it sinks in, it is a very simple system, but it is truly confusing at first.
If you have specific questions we will be glad to help, but I suggest you first go the the psrtutorial site and read up on it there.
DonM

#102527 - 02/14/05 12:52 PM Re: can someone explain to me banks and registrations on a Tyros
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Frankie:

It's actually pretty simple:

A "Registration Bank (.REG) file" contains up to 8 individual (1-8) registrations.

Now . . . . if you give "Registration Bank Files" the same name, yet followed by 1,2,3, for example:

NewYork01
NewYork02
NewYork03
NewYork04

and then store them TOGETHER by themselves in the SAME folder, set the Tyros FUNCTION>REGIST SEQUENCE window settings as follows:

REG Sequence Enable: "ON"
Sequence END: "Next Bank"

you will be able to call up up to 32 individual 'registrations' consecutively, with each consecutively named 'Registration Bank' file called up after reaching Registration #8. Did I confuse you now?! Scott

:

#102528 - 02/14/05 01:15 PM Re: can someone explain to me banks and registrations on a Tyros
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
It confused the dickens out of me, and I understand this stuff!

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#102529 - 02/14/05 02:14 PM Re: can someone explain to me banks and registrations on a Tyros
Richard Peck Offline

Loc: Tucson, AZ USA
I'm happy to see I'm not the only one that thinks the Tyros manual is confusing.

After many fruitless attempts to find another Tyros owner in Arizona to share the miseries of studying the Tyros manual, I finally found some outstanding help.

This help is from Simon Smith and his CD set called Tyros Made Easy. It has opened a whole new world of knowledge in understanding the power of this keyboard.

I was amazed at how complete the information is and how well it's presented. It must have taken great dedication to put it all together. So far it has answered every question I've had, which were many.

If you find the Tyros manual as useless as I have, consider looking at Simons work. You'll be glad you did.
http://www.organfax.co.uk/tyrosmadeeasy.html

#102530 - 02/14/05 03:56 PM Re: can someone explain to me banks and registrations on a Tyros
frankieve Offline

OK, so there are 8 registrations per bank,
you press save then the registration number, it will light up and then you can name the registration number.

Now this is were I get confused, you then save the registration bank, so each bank will hold 8 registrations, but what is the hierchy of saving?
is it like this

1 folder
2 inside folder will be 8 reg banks
3 inside each of the reg banks is 8 registrations?

as this correct?'

#102531 - 02/14/05 04:17 PM Re: can someone explain to me banks and registrations on a Tyros
travlin'easy Offline

Frankie,

If it's anything like the 2000, 2100 or 3000, the registration banks do not have to be saved in folders. You can just save the bank.

On the 3000 you select SAVE and give the bank a name--that's it. It all depends on how you want to set things up. I try to make mine as simple as possible with just one song per registration and 8 songs in each bank. The individual registrations are named by song title, and the banks are categorized, slow 50s, slow 60s, etc. That's really all there is to it. Putting the banks in folders adds another layer to locateing the banks, which I do not care to go through while performing on the fly.

You can find detailed instructions on saving and loading registrations for the PSR-2000 at PSR Tutorial and much of the information should be applicable to the Tyros as well.

Hope this helps,

Gary

#102532 - 02/14/05 04:24 PM Re: can someone explain to me banks and registrations on a Tyros
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
The Tyros REGISTRATION BANK file setup is identical to the PSR3000/2000 keyboards, so the PSR Tutorial link that Gary supplied should provide your answers.

- Scott

#102533 - 02/14/05 04:31 PM Re: can someone explain to me banks and registrations on a Tyros
frankieve Offline

OK I get it so, there is a slight flaw with the system,

You can set up as many registrations as possible but you are only able to view 8 at a time,

So let's say I playing a song that I have set-up in registration 4 bank 2, the song's name starts with a "H" now if the next song I decide to play starts with a "b" and I have things listed alphebitacally, I would need to get out of bank 2, then select bank 1 then hit edit to see the names of the registrations to pick the next song....
If i got this wrong, someone please tell me.

On my SD1 I would save them as registrations, but I was able to see all of the registrations and they had a number assigned to them so I could just hit the number and it would pull up the reg,

My PA1xpro has the songbook function where you can just save it and name it exactly what you want and find it and see it all.

Is there anything that can be done ???

#102534 - 02/14/05 07:12 PM Re: can someone explain to me banks and registrations on a Tyros
travlin'easy Offline

You can only see 10 banks at a time, and each bank has 8 registrations, which translates to 80 songs per page. The I believe the number of pages that can be stored is 88, which translates to 704 songs. Each bank can be named alphabetially, A,B,C, etc, and if you have more than 8 songs in the A category, you can call it A2, A3, etc. Lots of options.

Unless there is something that must be saved to registrations, special voices, or some other unique function that can only be stored in registrations, you can use the MFD, which has a massive memory for many of the basic functions. As anyone who has used the MFD will tell you, it's an incredible tool.

Gary

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online