SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#102129 - 09/25/07 10:19 AM Re: I just tried the pa800 a second time / review update
RobertG Offline

Loc: Southeastern PA, USA
One of the first things I did with my T2 was figure out how to turn off the harminizer when on a gig. As previously stated, it should be used very rarely, almost never. I went with never.

Since the new PA2X has the same sound engine as the PA800 I would guess that Mikey's review of that keyboard would be pretty much the same.

I agree that the clear buttons on the T2 are great.

Sounds like, from Mikey's review, that the PA2X is an evolutionary step for Korg, better stuff but not significantly different concepts. Unlike the Keton Audra.

Come on Yamaha, you can do it. Shock us at the next NAMM with something really cool with 76+ keys. (don't respond, just dream)

#102130 - 09/25/07 10:30 AM Re: I just tried the pa800 a second time / review update
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
I approach my sound as if I were amamber of a vocal group, like manhatten Transfer. The harmonies are required, not fluff. Check out the nightengale song on my website and you'll see how a good harmonizer can be used in a different way. Not as a backgroung, but very much in the FOREground.

UD -

I listened to your song and the harmony is truly FANTASTIC. OK, question: Was it done through a keyboard (PA800).

I must say, my voice is probably my showcase and the S900 harmonizer is truly crap. I need what you have and then I'll have some fun doing Ambrosia, Bee Gees, MT, all of them - wow....this is MY missing link, including the stupid PA I'm dumping too.

zuki

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#102131 - 10/23/07 06:00 PM Re: I just tried the pa800 a second time / review update
Dnj Offline

Zuki cant wait to hear you play & sing thru the Pa800 when it arrives......soon I hope?

#102132 - 10/23/07 06:55 PM Re: I just tried the pa800 a second time / review update
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
the harmony is truly FANTASTIC. OK, question: Was it done through a keyboard (PA800).

Zuki,
That song was recorded with a Yamaha 9000pro, no auto anything. I played manual bass and piano chords. The harmony came from a digitech Vocalist VR....the TC unit in my PA800 is better to my ears.

The trick is really more in technique, rather than product. You need to sing lines that are favorable to 4 part harmony. If you simply turn it on and think like a soloist, you will not get the result you want.

Some little things I try to remember when using harmony in a vocal group style:

1: Do some unison intros and spotlights. Makes teh harmony stand out more - think Lettermen
2: Scoop and bend up to notes when desireable ... it really sound great
3: Get the proper blend. This is PARAMOUNT. The lead needs to be perfectly balanced in oroportion to the harmonies..... that balance point may change MANY times per night. I have used volume pedals on my harmony voices at times, but the PA800 has those pregrammable sliders ... SWEEEEET.

I have lead, harmony, effects....all on sliders to make on the fly adjustments.
4: LISTEN to vocal gropus. Learn their nuances, their phrasing. You have to learn to think like 4 instead of 1 !

#102133 - 10/24/07 06:30 AM Re: I just tried the pa800 a second time / review update
zuki Offline

UD -

All that sounds great, but way over my head for now. I basically have dabbled with keyboard harmonizers in the past, but have used the left hand chords only. I suppose I'll have to branch out and use my right hand for harmony too?

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#102134 - 10/24/07 06:39 AM Re: I just tried the pa800 a second time / review update
Dnj Offline

Zuki some people play left hand bass & need to use the RT hand to trigger voc harmonies.
Either way it can work out real nice, if you THINK like backup singers when you play besides your lead vocals & of course playing like a band.

#102135 - 10/24/07 04:25 PM Re: I just tried the pa800 a second time / review update
Uncle Dave Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
I suppose I'll have to branch out and use my right hand for harmony too?

Zuki,
If the arranger is playing, then a LH trigger is fine for simple harmony, but if you require ( desire? ) a more flowing, custom sound, then the right hand is the way to go. Unfortunately, most arrangers link the harmonizer to the auto-chord track, so if you want to stretch your harmony dollar...you also have to modify your playing style.

If you switch the chord recognition to the RH, and play bass, strings or whatever in the left, then you may hear too much movement in the chords from the arranger. Vocalists often use passing tones and "blue" notes to get somewhere....these tones may NOT be quite as subtle coming from a canned arrangement.

#102136 - 10/24/07 04:48 PM Re: I just tried the pa800 a second time / review update
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Zuki,

Keep in mind that Dave can do things with his right hand that most of us only dream about. He has at least 7 fingers on his right hand, which of course, give him an edge over us 5 fingered performers.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#102137 - 10/25/07 04:36 AM Re: I just tried the pa800 a second time / review update
Uncle Dave Offline

Yes, Gary is right. I am able to trigger a chord, play a passing melody and still have two fingers left over to SOMEHOW find the cracks, between the notes !

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online