SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#102098 - 02/14/07 12:33 PM Re: Korg PA1X Version 3.0 Available
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Abacus.... how about a list of all the new features that Wersi have added to your arranger FOR FREE in the last two years?

And, by the way, if you take VERY good care of your arranger, and jump on new models as soon as they come out, you would be surprised at how little value is lost. Wasn't the last OAS upgrade over $700?

I sold my cherry G1000 for over $1200 (after eight years of use) and payed only about $2000 for it new. Not too shabby for a hardware improvement of THAT caliber (only lost $800 over 8 yrs!). Admittedly, you have to add in the cost of changing to the G70, but what is the total cost of bringing a ten year old Wersi up to completely contemporary specs?

We GET IT, abacus, you don't have to jump in every time your 'turf' is poached! But that's a $10K club you belong to. I can change my arrangers to newer models for about thirty years before I have spent THAT much!

#102099 - 02/14/07 01:29 PM Re: Korg PA1X Version 3.0 Available
Diki Offline

And Ssshhhhh....... don't tell ANYONE here how much your Abacus weighs!

No amount of upgrades is going to make THAT any less!

(You know I don't mind it myself, just messing with ya! Anyone want to lug my 55lb K2500S around...? Didn't think so! Keep it in the studio, myself!)

#102100 - 02/15/07 03:54 AM Re: Korg PA1X Version 3.0 Available
rolandfan Offline

Loc: South Africa
I wonder what keyboards will be like in 30 years lol Roland G7x Yamaha Tyros 10 Korg PA5x Pro

#102101 - 02/15/07 05:17 AM Re: Korg PA1X Version 3.0 Available
Diki Offline

They will all be inflatable, and we will have to carry weights just to stop them floating off stage.....!

#102102 - 02/15/07 07:29 AM Re: Korg PA1X Version 3.0 Available
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
This is my very brief but hopefully detailed review of the New OS version 3 upgrade.

I have just managed to upgrade my PA1X into the next generation production workstation !!!! All i can say is OH MY GOODNESS !!!! Korg you must have got into my mind and designed modern soulful funky grooves just for me !!! There are approx 64 new styles each with 3 endings (all the styles on the entire keyboard both old and new all have 3 endings) , 4 variations and 4 intro (two intros that play a compltely different pattern if you play a minor chord ). The styles are very much more geared towards the contemporary youthful market. There are a couple of nice bosanovas,and a couple of exquisite unplugged styles. The styles are absolutely playable and kept me up all last night. There were no styles that i could not see myself using.

I dont know if Korg has reworked all the styles because they all sound so well balanced accross all the styles. This really sounds like a new keyboard.

The new styles are just so well thought out and programmed. It has even lifted my own playing skills just through inspiration alone. I am still tuning my ears to the new pianos though as they sound a lot darker than i am used to. The Grand Touch Piano RX has a twin brother called the Grand Touch piano (no RX) I have listened over and over again through headphones and through the internal speakers and for the life of me i cannot tell the difference between the sounds. To my ears they are identical. But played in styles the RX version has noticeable drop outs but the non RX has none. Dont really know why Korg went through the trouble of developing the RX version as genuinley i could not tell the difference. I understand why they needed the Extra polyphony for the new piano (RX version ) but as the "light" version sounds identical i think that the 64 note polyphony and Korgs unique note management system are more than adequate. There is also a mellow piano and a Rock piano RX . The Rock piano RX is brighter and less subtle. The mellow and grand pianos are ideal for jazz music and unplugged styles. They both sound very authentic both within a style and played solo.

The operating system as a whole is much easier to use and operates much more quickly. It used to take 3.45mins to boot up from power on. Now it boots up in less than two minutes and thats using the full 32mb samples on auto load. (i can still just about make a cup of tea in that time but it is a vast improvement.) Merging samples is very much easier and faster. Filehandling is so much more intuitive etc I have spent most of last night and this morning jamming with the instrument and merging my favourite samples from the harddrive to the internal ram.I have some awesome new "real drums" that i downloaded from the Korg website...for free.

The new wave products from Yamaha, the minimo and the mo6/8 and XS were designed (in part) to fill the gap between pro musicians that liked the arranger functions, live full performance available on arranger keyboards but also wanted a more contemporary sound. In steps up Korg with the new Improved PA1X! I am just astounded that the music making world of producers have not stumbled accross this amazing product.

SqueakD in previous posts I remember you lamenting the fact that most arrangers simply did not cater to contemporary musicians and for example you said thatHiphop/Rap music is very difficult to write on an arranger .WEll if you like contemporary grooves, RnB and playable Hiphop then you really need to check this monster out!

This is a huge improvement over an already outstanding machine and to call it an upgrade is really an understatement.

I cant believe that i got this OS upgrade for free !!! I only hope Korg continue to extend the life of its product in this way. I can honestly say that i would have paid hundreds for an upgrade such as this (I hope Korg are not listening ) rather than make a side step to the PA800 which from a players point of view is slightly inferior to its older brother. I know this is still not an open keyboard but the technology works, its sounds great and more than provides for the creativeness of my own imagination.

I dont know if Korg have heard this too many times this week but what the hell........THANK YOU KORG !!!!!!

[This message has been edited by spalding (edited 02-15-2007).]

[This message has been edited by spalding (edited 02-15-2007).]

#102103 - 02/15/07 09:35 AM Re: Korg PA1X Version 3.0 Available
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hello Spalding
Liked the review, it should definitely get Korg owners downloading the update.
Regarding the Pianos is one stereo and the other mono, as a lot of piano samples come in this form.
Have you got the timings correct on the start-up times as even the new OS seems rather slow for a hardware board. (It’s slower then a Wersi which I find hard to believe, OAS 6 2:25min, OAS 7 1:20min)
Your report also reinforces what I have always said in my Keyboard Festival Reports. (That the Korg PA1X is the best all round mainstream arranger on the market)

Bill

#102104 - 02/15/07 11:28 AM Re: Korg PA1X Version 3.0 Available
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
I will checkwhether they are stere for both pianos bill. But the RX is supposed to have note off, full damper , half damper etc but to my ears there is no difference. Yes those are the correct loading times for the PA1X ! That has always been a problem if a gigging musician gets a plug pulled out or there is a temporary power cut. Without all the extra samples the PA1X loads up in about 15 seconds. But with the Ram fully utilised prior to the OS update it was common for a 3 minuteplus boot up. They have done amazing things with the new OS.

#102105 - 02/15/07 03:40 PM Re: Korg PA1X Version 3.0 Available
Diki Offline

Two minutes just to boot...... OMG!

Presumably, the new styles address this new sample set, so you probably don't have too much option to bypass it (?)

Just one MORE reason to start demanding your arranger manufacturer join the 21st century (they're only seven years late!) and implement modern RAM loading capabilities. If not, the future will HAVE to belong to the soft-arranger crowd, as more and more of us get spoiled by the realism of VSTi's like Ivory, BFD, GPO etc., that no ROMpler can match.

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 02-15-2007).]

#102106 - 02/15/07 09:36 PM Re: Korg PA1X Version 3.0 Available
Spalding1 Offline

Loc: birmingham,england
no Dikki. The only reason for the long boot up is because i have loaded into the instrument new samples that did not come with the instrument. The load up time takes into account a maxed out sample ram memory (32mb)which takes just under 2 mins. Compare that to the T2 that takes 7 minutes to boot up with sharpes evolution piano that again uses the same maximum sample ram of 32mb. I dont know how many new samples are used in the update but it boots up much more quickly if you dont need to use the additional sampling power that i have.it takes approx 15 secs

#102107 - 02/16/07 08:25 AM Re: Korg PA1X Version 3.0 Available
Frostbyte Offline

Loc: World Citizen
Hey Spalding;

You can mix in the RX elements to tweak the sound more to your liking(or to clearly hear the difference, I should say....).

Using the Grand Touch RX sound, go the BASIC/OSC BASIC edit page, call up Osc 9, OSC 10, and OSC 11..etc.... and turn their volumes up.

- Frost

[This message has been edited by Frostbyte (edited 02-16-2007).]

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online