SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#101996 - 07/28/03 11:06 AM Re: Genesys Pro is impressing!
MusiKMan Offline

Loc: California, USA
PaulD,

Is there a plan in the works to make the GPro, touchscreen, even color touch screen?

Ive been using Trinity and I30 for years, and really, It does make a huge difference in use, while in the studio..

Can you please comment..

best,

MusiKman

Musikman4Christ........

#101997 - 07/28/03 12:32 PM Re: Genesys Pro is impressing!
PaulD Offline

Loc: Eugene, OR
MusiKman,

At this time, I am not aware of any plans for either a touch screen, nor a color screen.

I personally don't like touch screens, as they don't seem as bright and when playing with any amount of light, such as stage light or sunlight, I never seemed to be able to see the screen well. I haven't played with the Korg Trinty much, other than in stores but have seen them on stages, I am assuming that they don't have this problem then. Am I correct? As for color screens, I think they look awesome and make for a great demo as a salesperson, and the mono screens look very old school. The same problem tho (color screens), they don't even seem to be able to be bright enough, or get washed out easily. I understand there are newer displays that don't have this problem, but when it all comes down to it, they are expensive, and genesys is being put down because of it's expense already. I find the screen on the genesys to do exactly what it needs to do...

My personal preference would be to stay away from the touch screen as I think that they would spend less time trying to make the buttons and the user interface workable as an instrument and use "soft" touchscreen buttons and multiple layers of menus (which I personally hate, I love to be able to get around on the instrument fast, with as few button pushes as possible). I like that fact, that even with a glare on the screen and light in my eyes, I can feel my way around.

So, Yes, I am sure we would sell more instruments with one or both of those features. Is it really nessesary? Does it really help? Sincerely if I am missing something, please tell me.. I am sort of old school when it comes to my instruments, and personally happier with an LED than a screen at all.

If any of you know the Kurzweil Mark 10 (Digital Piano). I loved that instrument, it was a sea of led buttons, and with a single glance or a button push you could do pretty much everything the instrument could do.

#101998 - 07/28/03 10:24 PM Re: Genesys Pro is impressing!
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
I believe that touch screen is not good for real time performance. I like the control of newer GEM instruments as they are now. I like the fact that they have dedicated buttons to do the job and that the menus are not deep. The fact that they have 10 sliders makes them a superiour instrument to all. I actually wrote driver code for one touch screen and I can tell you that it is impossible to have the same reliability of touch as mere buttons and sliders.

#101999 - 07/29/03 12:47 AM Re: Genesys Pro is impressing!
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Irregardless of availability you should all appreciate the fact that PaulD continues to monitor this forum and answer questions to the best of his ability. That in itself shows a dedication to users of GeneralMusic instruments which is very admirable. There are marketing considerations which may not suit users in all areas, but the fact is that PaulD tries to keep you all informed about the availability of his company's products. With so many musical electronics companies virtually ignoring their online users, it is extremely refreshing to see a company like GeneralMusic prepared to discuss issues publicly, and shows that they are confident about the quality of their products.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 07-29-2003).]

#102000 - 07/29/03 01:59 AM Re: Genesys Pro is impressing!
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
I agree with you, Nigel.

It is regrettable that Paul's counterparts from Korg and Roland chose to stay on the sidelines (although I hope that they are still reading our posts). They can learn a lot about what we need by monitoring these discussions. And it's way cheaper than conducting a market research with a focus group.

#102001 - 07/29/03 04:34 AM Re: Genesys Pro is impressing!
trtjazz Offline

Paul,
I agree with you on the touchscreens, I do not like them at all. I've played with the Triton and VA touchscreens and did not like either. As far as the color though I have to say the Tyros color screen is dynamite and I can more easily pick out different things that I want to do because of the color seperations.

I also have to agree with Nigel, even though I have taken you to task on availability issues I very much appreciate and feel it shows a dedication on yours and GEM's part to their customers and potential customers that not many of the others do.
thanks,
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 07-29-2003).]

#102002 - 07/29/03 07:47 AM Re: Genesys Pro is impressing!
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
I agree with Nigel. Paul Davis has bent over backwards to help us and me in particular in my questions about GEM products and in his prompt and courteous responses to my questions and concerns. And to have higher ups from major Arranger Keyboard manufacturers amongst us is truly something to relish. Even AJ, who pops his head in once in a while; from Ketron, and Steve Deming from Yamaha who answers are more noble questions from time to time "and some not so noble too" is all a plus + in my book. And I do think because they read our posts and understand our plight (at least that is our intention for them; "to understand our 'needs' as Arranger Musicians") that Product development can and does reflect in many instances our input by the resulting accommodations they make in and to their Keyboard products. At least they have the ammunition to get the job done if they do choose to embark on that task.

Now if we could just get Tsutomu Katoh from Korg; Ikutaro Kakehashi from Roland Japan; and Dennis Houlihan from Roland US to cut the "noose" from their employees and allow them the freedom to post on this and other Keyboard Forums we would "ALL" be better off because of it. Come on Korg and Roland, communication is a two way street. Try not talking to your wife or girlfriend for a week and see where it gets you. Does Divorce or Dumped come to mind???

Best regards,
Mike

#102003 - 07/29/03 08:26 AM Re: Genesys Pro is impressing!
PaulD Offline

Loc: Eugene, OR
Thank You Nigel, Alex, Terry and Mike. Mike do you work in the industry? I am impressed that you know who those guys are. I am sure they have their reasons for keeping silent. I know I worry sometimes about turning people off of Generalmusic products when I don't tell them what they want to hear, and I have to monitor myself sometimes to not let our future product information out until ready for release. I am sure they must have some monioring happening at some level of forums like this one.

As far as color screens go, as I honestly haven't had a keyboard (personal use) that has a color screen, do you find them as bright and as easy to see in all light? What one keyboard should I look at, that has a good color screen, where the color does make a diffrence, and isn't just cool looking?

#102004 - 07/29/03 09:24 AM Re: Genesys Pro is impressing!
Bevan Offline

My VA7 has a touchscreen and that gives no
problems at all, you have to get used to it!
I heard the Genesys too and it sounds great.
As you said Mart it was impressing!

#102005 - 07/29/03 11:20 AM Re: Genesys Pro is impressing!
MusiKMan Offline

Loc: California, USA
Guys, does the Genesis have insert effects?
Like maybe compression etc, specially if youre going to record your vocals?

I know it has four stereo effects, but can these be used as mono effects and then have 8 mono effects in all?

Thanks,

MusiKman

Musikman4Christ........

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online