SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#101734 - 01/16/01 06:21 AM Re: Playing the new PSR9000 Pro
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I'm not slamming the PSR stuff, I just don't think the architechture justifies the price. We all heve different playing styles and maybe some of you love the PSR, but I am more of a "layer freak" - I make a "bed" of sound for my vocals to "lay" on. I tried to play the 9000 when it first came out and found out that I couldn't layer the two most essential sounds for my taste: piano & strings. At least.....not the better sounding ones. I'm not going to re-hash my tired old argument about (lack of) polyphony, but I must say that I think Yamaha is making a big mistake if they think this will attract a more "professional" clientele just because they added the word PRO and an XLR mic input. We all know that the "pro" is in the player and NOT the piece. I hope all of you that make the switch are happy with it, but I feel compelled to warn you: It's still a PSR9000 - don't expect it to perform like a Triton or an XP80 with an on board arranger. It's the same ole, same ole. It's a fine arranger if you play it the way that it was marketed. I need a little more than it has to offer.
Please don't let this discourage your creative "flow" - let's keep the conversations and the music strong! This is how we learn......from each other.

#101735 - 01/16/01 07:08 AM Re: Playing the new PSR9000 Pro
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
The keys on the 9000Pro are not weighted. They are like all other synth actions except for the fact that they are of a higher quality and feel than many arranger keyboards. When I say that the keyboard is from the EX5, this means that this key bed is from a pro synth keyboard and not from the PSR line of key beds, it does feel better to play on. I am not a piano player, so it is hard for me to judge just how much better the keyboard feels, but to my piano playing customers, they like the feel of this keyboard the best of all the non weighted action keyboards.
George Kaye
(Retired 2021)

#101736 - 01/16/01 07:27 AM Re: Playing the new PSR9000 Pro
Uncle Dave Offline

George,
I have a few friends that are out there with you at the show. See if you run into Dom Troilo (from Medley Music in Bryn Mawr Pa), or Don & Linda Moyer (from Pro-Line Music in Fairless Hills Pa).
I wish I was with you! I love fooling with the new stuff. You may find Don & Linda at the Korg booth - he's interrested in the Pa80....same as me. Have fun!

#101737 - 01/16/01 08:48 AM Re: Playing the new PSR9000 Pro
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I can't change wives any more--too expensive, and I have a good one. But I can change a keyboard that I love for one that has all the same features plus many more that I want, and is beautiful to boot.
Polyphony is not a problem with the style that I use, but if it were, the expansion slots do address that. I usually turn my keyboard speakers off when I play anyway--why carry them around. Only once in 25 years as a full-time musician (has it really been that long??) have I played a gig with only the keyboard speakers. If I play the kb at home (very rare) I have plenty of gear with which to hear it.
The way you play (Uncle Dave), you can use anything with good piano, strings, organ and drums and you sound fantastic. I need the arranger to be my backup band. I don't use many sequences, but I want my bass player, drummer and rhythm "guys" to compliment my right hand. Would you believe I don't even have a sustain pedal hooked up? I use one pedal for vocal harmony off/on and one to control DSP such as leslie effect. I was using the built-in polyphony counter on the 9000 the other day to see what you would have to do to run out of polyphony, and I had to switch pedal settings to sustain. Incidentally, to run out in full keyboard (no arranger) mode, you have to layer 3 sounds, play full chords with both hands, and hold the sustain pedal down and then play more chords. It was a little easier to run out in "pianist" arranger mode, but you still have to layer sounds with both hands and use the sustain pedal. It is the very least of my worries--I didn't run out of polyphony very often with 32-note keyboards.
That's why they make different keyboards I guess--because we use them in different ways.
I've had the 9000 for about 7 months and there isn't a day that goes by that I don't find another feature that I like. It sounds great right out of the box, but the editing capabilities are virtually endless. The DSP's are unequalled by any other arranger, as are the vocal harmony capabilities.
With all this technology, it would seem they could make it play sequence medleys though, doesn't it? Oh well nothing's perfect. If it were, we'd have nothing to discuss or look forward to.
DonM

#101738 - 01/16/01 09:50 AM Re: Playing the new PSR9000 Pro
Clif Anderson Offline

I would be interested in hearing opinions from those that have had or heard both the PSR9000 and the 9000Pro regarding the improvements to the vocal harmony. Frank may have already formed an opinion, and I am sure DonM will have one soon. My impression is that the PSR9000 had the best harmonizer and that the 9000Pro harmonizer will be even better.

#101739 - 01/16/01 10:24 AM Re: Playing the new PSR9000 Pro
Anonymous
Unregistered

After reading all your messages it seems the
best thing to do is playing my VA7.
I like the great styles with acc.tracks of
60 measures or 24,16 or 8 ( all in one style)
with the name Rosenberg. A friend of mine
bought from John Smies. With the exellent
guitars, basses and drums it is very good
for Sweet Georgia Brown etc. I am not a sing-
er so I do not miss a vocalist. For me the
VA7 and the X1 are the top at this moment,
Yamaha,Technics,Gem and Korg are following
closely.We shall see what they show us in Ana
heim and later in Frankfurt(Germany).Great
expectations from VA9,SD1 and may be more.

#101740 - 01/16/01 04:38 PM Re: Playing the new PSR9000 Pro
Clif Anderson Offline

Thanks for the information, Frank.

Do you have URLs or info on Music Companion and Hi-Play? How do these compare?

#101741 - 01/16/01 08:41 PM Re: Playing the new PSR9000 Pro
Nobby Offline

Loc: Palmyra Mo. U.S.A.
Hi Don,
Have you seen this site? http://www.giles.com/yamaha1/pressreleases/NAMM/WNAMM01/PAC/index.htm

It has some information & pictures of the 350 & 550.
cheers,
Nobby

------------------

#101742 - 01/17/01 06:23 AM Re: Playing the new PSR9000 Pro
Clif Anderson Offline

Thanks, Frank, I had heard of these alternatives to JammerLive, but until now have not been able to find them.

#101743 - 01/18/01 10:39 AM Re: Playing the new PSR9000 Pro
Uncle Dave Offline

Frank,
I'm sure it was MY fault for not reading the requirements, but I tried to download the "Hi Play" software demo, and my whole pc is screwed up. I don't think it's a virus - it downloaded ok, but as I installed it, it froze up and the video is all messed up, I have NO more mouse control and I had to come to the library to read my emails!!!!!AGHHH.!
Beware - all who may want to try this software - read EVERYTHING FIRST !!!!!!
(This one's gonna cost me - I need a tech)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online