SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#101551 - 02/01/02 08:26 AM PSR2000 'Registration Memory Bank' feature !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
In spite of the recent highly disappointing news that the PSR2000’s OS is not Flash Rom upgradable (as originally advertised), I still think it’s a terrific sounding keyboard and perfect size & weight for the one man band traveling musician and possibly the best arranger keyboard value available now. Still, there are a couple of things that must be implemented (via OS update) before I would consider the PSR2000 the idea keyboard for the traveling one man band show.

The arranger keyboard’s ‘registration memory’ feature is a critical feature for a ‘live’ performing musician because it enables you to store, in individual memory buttons, set ups for each section of a song (AABA etc ): instrument voices, style variation type, fill type, key & tempo changes . . . Yes, OTS is an alternative to ‘registration memory’ but unfortunately, it doesn’t support the number of setting parameters or the number of individual memory locations which ‘registration memory’ offers. The great thing about the registration feature is that you only need to remember to press a ‘single’ button or foot switch (registration memory increment (+)) at key song section transition points.

In contrast, without the registration memory feature, performing a set of songs can be a challenging task, because before every song, you need to remember to: select & load a new style, select a voice setup, tempo, intro & ending type, and during the song, you have to manually make all parameter changes (voice selection, style variation, fill type) at every song section transition. Though this certainly can be mastered, it ends up taking away from the primary focus: your ‘live’ keyboard playing & singing, and compromises both the quality of the performance and attention to your audience.

I was very happy to hear (as was reported by Carlos Rodrigues) that Yamaha (in OS 1.10) has added registration memory support for storing the ‘fingering mode’ as well as moving the ‘left voice’ storage location in ‘registration memory contents’ from the ‘style’ section to ‘voice’ section. This effectively (with the freeze button activated & voice parameter box checked) allows you to freely select different styles, yet maintain the main, layer & left voices. These improvements are a welcome addition, but there are still three more things which need to be supported in ‘registration memory’ before I would consider the 2000 the idea ‘live’ performer’s arranger board. These include registration memory support of:

1) Intro & Ending variation selection
2) Vocal harmonizer type selection
3) Mic volume/efx settings.

It would be greatly appreciated if people who have a PSR2000 with OS 1.20 (main program) could check to verify if any or all of the above ‘registration memory’ features have been implemented. Please also check (for Don Mason) to see if the vocal harmonizer has been updated to allow you to completely turn off the lead part on the Speedy Mouse & Karaoke Girl voice. Please report feedback and I will contact Yamaha to request yet another OS updated (via Eprom?! ) if needed. Thanks. – Scott

#101552 - 02/01/02 11:30 AM Re: PSR2000 'Registration Memory Bank' feature !
dlstarry Offline

Loc: MN. U.S.A.
HI: Scott
The 9000 PRO does not remember intro/ending,
or mic level/efx settings in the registration's
neither.
NOT!!!!!!Enjoying the 9000 PRO as much these day's
Denny

[This message has been edited by dlstarry (edited 02-01-2002).]

#101553 - 02/01/02 03:07 PM Re: PSR2000 'Registration Memory Bank' feature !
Scottyee Offline

Denny,

Wow . . .

I am pretty surprised that the PSR9000/9000pro doesn't already support these features.

When performing on the 2000, I've had a many instances (before beginning a song) where I had forgotton to check which intro or ending type/length the chosen style was 'last set' to, and had a few panic stricken moments discovering the ending shorter/longer than initially anticipated. But as they say, the show must go on, and you just cover it up the best you can with 'smoke and mirrors'and a little humor

Am I the only one who cares about the intro/ending setting thing?

Maybe Yamaha could come out with an OS update for the 9000 too . . . hopefully FLASH ROM

#101554 - 02/01/02 05:13 PM Re: PSR2000 'Registration Memory Bank' feature !
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
The 9000 has separate buttons for each intro and ending, so doesn't need to remember them.
DonM

#101555 - 02/01/02 05:52 PM Re: PSR2000 'Registration Memory Bank' feature !
Scottyee Offline

Don,
aha . . . now I know why they call the 9000 the pro model & why it costs more than the 2000

#101556 - 02/02/02 08:24 AM Re: PSR2000 'Registration Memory Bank' feature !
DonM Offline

There are many other reasons. Sampler, video out, more polyphony, hard drive, extra footswitch, OTS saved independently, quicker access to reg. banks, aftertouch, OS IN FLASH ROM, 3 lead sounds quickly available--I'm sure there is more I don't remember.
I find I do miss the hard drive, the extra footswitch, the quick sounds, and the quicker reg. banks. I don't really need them, but I miss them.
I don't miss the 51 pounds at all.
DonM
P.S. Of course the OTS system can be considered better in one way on the 2000, because they are not available from disk on the 9000.

[This message has been edited by DonM (edited 02-02-2002).]

#101557 - 02/02/02 09:45 AM Re: PSR2000 'Registration Memory Bank' feature !
Anonymous
Unregistered

Being able to select from 3 intros and 3 endings on the 9000 is a definite plus. I am always fumbling around inside a song trying to get to the ending I want on the 2000.
Eddie

#101558 - 02/02/02 11:36 AM Re: PSR2000 'Registration Memory Bank' feature !
Beakybird Offline

At least on the PSR2000 you can save a floppy or USER style so that the intro and ending you prefer appears when the style is loaded. Nevertheless, I also miss having dedicated buttons for intros and endings. Bad design, Yamaha.

Larry

#101559 - 02/02/02 12:44 PM Re: PSR2000 'Registration Memory Bank' feature !
Scottyee Offline

Larry,

MANY thanks for sharing the excellent tip that the intro/ending variation type 'selection' can be saved within the style. This is VERY USEFUL & HELPFUL information.

Linking/storing OTS within a style was a good move. I try to go the customized OTS route whenever possible too, but there are some songs I perform which require more than 4 registrations or parameter setting not supported by OTS.

Btw, you can find out exactly WHICH PSR2000 parameter settings are supported by OTS vs Registration Memory on pages 25 thru 30 of the PSR2000/1000 data list manual.

In spite of all the latest developments (style sharing restrictions, no flash rom), I still like my PSR2000 a lot.

- Scott http://scottyee

#101560 - 02/02/02 01:12 PM Re: PSR2000 'Registration Memory Bank' feature !
DonM Offline

I like my PSR2000 a lot too, but it's sort of like having a woman who cheated on you--can you really trust her not to do it again?
DonM

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online