SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#101369 - 02/11/04 05:34 AM Re: Who uses a stand-alone digital recorder
RichUK Offline

Loc: England
Boo, I also use a stand alone recorder, the Roland VS-1680. I was only using it very basically at the time... but you can hear the results on the '2002' songs on my website.

I'm hoping to record a few more songs with it in the next few months. Of course, I'll have to go back to the manual...

Rich

#101370 - 02/11/04 06:30 AM Re: Who uses a stand-alone digital recorder
Roel Offline

I also use a stand alone HDD-recorder : The AW16G Yammie.
After all tracks are recorded I send the mix to PC for mastering.
Pro's for HD-recorders :
Independent
Easy to transport/move
Just push button and go !
Very quiet (no fans)
huge capacity of HD
dedicated DSP's (need no CPU-load)
real faders
very stable/reliable
no (expensive) plugins needed
... etc.

#101371 - 02/11/04 06:40 AM Re: Who uses a stand-alone digital recorder
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Boo,

If you want simplicity with multi-track recording software, just download a copy of Audicity's latest program and you'll be absolutely amazed. Just a couple buttons to select from, all the expression features anyone really needs, and it's free.

I would have thought this was a dead subject after Terry posted his computer recorded and external recorded identical songs for everyone to vote on. Obviously, some folks have very short memories.

The results were clearly in favor of the the software recorded by a heavy margin. Nothing complicated about this type of poll--it's what you hear--kinda' like music. If what you hear don't sound good to your ears, then you use something that does sound good--it just makes good, common sense.

There's nothing complex about recording songs using your computer. If this were the case, then I would be in a world of trouble. Try the Audicity program, and if you get in trouble, email me and I'll walk you through the problems over the phone.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#101372 - 02/11/04 09:50 AM Re: Who uses a stand-alone digital recorder
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I know where there's an Akai DPS16, a new display model, for $199.
Is that a good deal?
DonM

#101373 - 02/11/04 10:26 AM Re: Who uses a stand-alone digital recorder
trtjazz Offline

Mike,
The Tascam really is not 10x's going the software route....did you forget the pc or laptop cost? I have less $ in my Tascam than I do in my laptop,interface and software.

Yes you can edit wav. files to your hearts content with the h/d recorder, pretty much most of the more pro ones anyway.

We do still disagree on ease of use with less glitches. I have both and have run both extensively. A h/d system is easier, faster and has the added advantage of a tactile control surface.

With the midi, again I have all three the Tyros, Tascam and software. The Tascam is still the easiest to record to for midi and far more flexibility and 8x's as many tracks.

I'm not saying at all that software is junk or not powerful, just the opposite. All I contend is for ease of use the h/d recorder is easier, faster and no interferring glitches from the other things that computers do. It is a stand alone dedicated unit that it's only job is to record music.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#101374 - 02/11/04 12:09 PM Re: Who uses a stand-alone digital recorder
ViLo Offline

Loc: Dallas Tx., USA
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
I know where there's an Akai DPS16, a new display model, for $199.
Is that a good deal?
DonM

$199.00??? Of course is a good deal, if you don't buy it let me know. I'll buy it.

I'll cancel my order fo rthe DPS24..

[This message has been edited by ViLo (edited 02-11-2004).]

#101375 - 02/11/04 12:41 PM Re: Who uses a stand-alone digital recorder
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
My mistake. It is a DPS 12 with no hd.
They are out of 16s.
Still sounds pretty good.
DonM

#101376 - 02/11/04 04:16 PM Re: Who uses a stand-alone digital recorder
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Tony,

I tried recording a sequence from the i30 it sounds great in Cakewalk. But then I armed another track to record the sax part, but the sequence from track 1 won't play back while trying to record so as to be able to play sax and record.

I'm sure I can record everything at one time with no trouble, but like my mini disk I'd be stuck with all of the mistakes.

I want to punch-in and punch-out to correct flaws in my recording.

I finally heard from Cakewalk. It seems my version 7 doesn't have the capacity to drag and drop the audio file to sync with the midi file.

I can't believe there's no way to move either the midi file or the audio to get it together. He says check for updated drivers for my sound card that might help.

Anyone heard of Crystal sound Fusion? That's what it shows at the midi device screen on BIAB and Cakewalk. I type that in search and come up with nothing.

The stand alone is looking better and better.
Whoa is me again,
Boo
Maybe I'm not living a good life!!

#101377 - 02/11/04 04:51 PM Re: Who uses a stand-alone digital recorder
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Boo, Trust me the MRS-4 or MR8 would work great for what you want to do. Plus the price is fair on both recorders.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#101378 - 02/11/04 06:58 PM Re: Who uses a stand-alone digital recorder
Tony W Offline

Loc: Lancaster UK
Boo,
It may be that you need to go to the options page or sound options or audio settings in cakewalk and make sure you have the box checked for ALLOW PLAYBACK WHILST RECORDING. .... I don't use cakewalk so I can't tell you how to do it step by step but maybe someone here who uses cakewalk can. I use cool edit pro (I could tell you how to do it in that )

I had exactly the same problem once and that is what it was.

If that fails to work then your soundcard is not capable of playback whilst recording but as long as your pc is relatively modern it should be ok.

Hope this helps
Tony

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online