Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#101359 - 02/10/04 07:18 PM Re: Who uses a stand-alone digital recorder
Leon Offline

Loc: British Columbia
Hello again Boo
I'm syncing 2 D8's.
Works for me.. I burn via Mackie mix to a stand alone Pioneer PDR-W739. Just my thots...L

#101360 - 02/10/04 07:37 PM Re: Who uses a stand-alone digital recorder
trtjazz Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by keybplayer:
Boo, Hard Disk recorders are fine but I wouldn't give up on Soft Synth recorders so quickly. Cakewalk in particular has a very crowded User interface IMO and trying to find your way around its many features can be daunting as you have found out. There are other Software based recorders or multi-track recorders that you may find easier to use. You should be able to download Demo versions of other Soft Synths like Cakewalk and try them out to see which one[s] suit you best. I can tell you first hand that Sound Forge has an extremely easy to use interface and everything is laid out very logically and its very uncluttered. If you need a Multi-track recorder - (Sound Forge is simply a 2 track "Stereo or Mono" recorder) - then you may want to consider Sony Vegas 4.0. 4.0 is the newest version, Sony having acquired it and all other Sonic Foundry software programs when Sony bought them out. Vegas is a multi-track recorder albeit a rather expensive one.

There is so much you can do with a Soft Synth recorder or Soft Synth Multi-track recorder that you can't do with a Hard Disk recorder. There are enormous amounts of Tools and Editing options on a software based program that Hard Disk recorders can't touch. You just need to find the program that is to your liking and has an easy to use and navigate interface. If you do decide to go hardware based there are many fine options to fit your needs though.

Best regards,
Mike

Mike,
Software sequencers are sequencers, not soft synths. Soft synths are instruments in the form of software.

I disagree that you can do SO much more than with h/d's. I have the Tascam and Sonar, Sound Forge, Adobe, Acid, Power Tracks and a few others. It really depends on which h/d recorder someone buys.

There is no doubt in my mind having run the soft seq's and h/d's for a long time, the h/d's are far more user friendly then even the simplest of software. Certainly far less hassle as well. One plugs their inputs in and pushes record....done deal. No software is that easy, by the time one interfaces up and drivers, and things running in the backround that interfere with analog recording.

My Tascam has 128 track midi recording as well, but therein is what usually seperates h/d's from softwares, recording midi.

Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 02-10-2004).]

#101361 - 02/10/04 08:08 PM Re: Who uses a stand-alone digital recorder
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
After speaking with boo and getting a better understanding about what he wants to do, I'd have to say that a digital recorder is really what Boo is looking for. It seems to me that he wants something that has a lot of hands on control and functions that are controlled by panel knobs or easily accessed through a menu.. He also doesn't want to bust his wallet on this one. Personally I think the Zoom MRS-4 would work great for what he wants to do, and if he could afford it the Fostex MR8 would be a great choice for him as well. He could still burn CD's with either unit.. He just has to get the appropriate hardware and software which is fairly inexpensive.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#101362 - 02/10/04 09:18 PM Re: Who uses a stand-alone digital recorder
ViLo Offline

Loc: Dallas Tx., USA
I just ordered the AKAI DPS24, after selling my AKAI DPS16.

Bt if you are lookin gfor something small, korg, zoom, boss we'll do for you.

#101363 - 02/10/04 09:58 PM Re: Who uses a stand-alone digital recorder
Bill E Offline

Loc: nashville
boo, after finding computer recording to be beyond my patience, I bought an Akai DPS-16 and just love it. It is out of date now but still works great. I can get tracks down while I still have the idea in my head, instead of cursing at the computer! While all digital recorders have some learning curve, most new ones are a breeze to use compared to software programs. And the price/value ratio just keeps getting better. It would be hard to go wrong with any of the new offerings. Korg and Yamaha have some great products at moderate prices, and for a bit more, the Akai DPS-24 is a dream machine. Good luck and have fun.
Bill

#101364 - 02/10/04 10:00 PM Re: Who uses a stand-alone digital recorder
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Quote:
Originally posted by trtjazz:
Mike,
Software sequencers are sequencers, not soft synths. Soft synths are instruments in the form of software.

Your right Terry. My mistake. I meant to say Soft Sequencer but apparently I wasn't paying attention to my writing and wrote something else. Thinking one thing and writing another. Oh well, thanks again for correcting my error.

Best regards,
Mike

#101365 - 02/10/04 10:40 PM Re: Who uses a stand-alone digital recorder
keybplayer Offline

[QUOTE]Originally posted by trtjazz:
[B]
>>I disagree that you can do SO much more than with h/d's. I have the Tascam and Sonar, Sound Forge, Adobe, Acid, Power Tracks and a few others. It really depends on which h/d recorder someone buys.

"Terry, I'm talking about the Tools and Editing abilities in Sofware Sequencers. Sure, it may be simple to lay down tracks in a h/d recorder but what then? Can you edit the the .wav file to your hearts content if need be like you can with a good Soft Sequencer? Am I missing something here? And that $3,000 Tascam is 10 times the cost of Sound Forge and over 4 times the cost of Vegas 4.0 yet they essentially do the same thing except the Midi plus they have the added benefit of all the advanced file Editing Options and Tools, etc."

>>There is no doubt in my mind having run the soft seq's and h/d's for a long time, the h/d's are far more user friendly then even the simplest of software. Certainly far less hassle as well. One plugs their inputs in and pushes record....done deal. No software is that easy, by the time one interfaces up and drivers, and things running in the backround that interfere with analog recording.

"I agree that if one wants to run Software Sequencers first off they will need to have a good fast Computer plus if at all possible to run Windows XP as the OS. But if your computer is up to snuff and you have all the required gear to get you set up, then Soft Sequencers are a dream come true IMO and definitely a must have for advanced file editing possibilities, etc., etc." After you get the hang of Software Recorders and Multi-track recorders like Sound Forge and Vegas, etc., then it really is a breeze to record to. Dare I say, as easy as your Tascam is.

>>My Tascam has 128 track midi recording as well, but therein is what usually seperates h/d's from softwares, recording midi.

I use my Tyros' internal Sequencer for recording Midi. With 16 tracks available I can sound like a whole Orchestra or even a Big Band. I do want to start delving into Midi Software Sequencers like Cakewalk and I even have an earlier version of Cakewalk (6.0). Now, finding the time to do it is another story. But as the old addage goes - You have to make the time (referring to me).

Best regards,
Mike

#101366 - 02/10/04 10:55 PM Re: Who uses a stand-alone digital recorder
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Tony,

I've been recording right along with Cakewalk playing the midi file and me with headphones to prevent the speakers from bleeding into the sax mic.

I do have some midi files on the HD in my keyboard that I can use and I have some of those very good sequences I did with the i30.

I never thought of using my keyboard and recording it Audio. I guess it will record all of the accompaniment parts on one track in Cakewalk?

Then as you said I could go back and record the Sax Audio on another track and that should solve my synchronization problem.

I do have Cakewalk support and a sax buddy from Australia helping. He's a sax guy and understands all of this stuff.

But I can't think of any reason that what you suggested won't work Tony.

I'm so glad to find others that seem to think that software recording is a pain in the neck. That is encouraging to me. I thought I was too old to learn.

I'm going to give this another try recording everything Audio and see what Cakewalk support comes up with.

I may get the Zoom MRS4 or the Fostex MR8. If I can't figure one of them out I won't be out a bunch of money.

Mike,

May be my computer isn't up to snuff? I never thought of that.

I have the 533 MHz Celeron,15GHD, 256SyncDRAM, 128 KB L2Cache 66MHz system bus.
What do you think?

thanks for all the help,
Boo

[This message has been edited by brickboo (edited 02-10-2004).]

#101367 - 02/10/04 11:57 PM Re: Who uses a stand-alone digital recorder
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Personally I like to use stand alone HD recorders in a musical situation. They are simply more portable, stable and easier to use in any live music setting.

Even though much can be done on the HD recorders themselves you can always take the recorder home and transfer tracks to your computer for any editing that would be difficult or impossible to perform on the recorder itself. Just make sure you are setup to transfer data to your PC if necessary.

#101368 - 02/10/04 11:59 PM Re: Who uses a stand-alone digital recorder
keybplayer Offline

[QUOTE]Originally posted by brickboo:
[B]Mike,

May be my computer isn't up to snuff? I never thought of that.

I have the 533 MHz Celeron,15GHD, 256SyncDRAM, 128 KB L2Cache 66MHz system bus.
What do you think?

thanks for all the help,
Boo

Boo, I think you need a faster computer. Celeron chips are Intels econo line. Much like Chevy is GM's econo line. You need a much faster chip too. I wouldn't settle for anything less than a Pentium 4. You can get a slower P4 for pretty cheap. But with that P4 you will need a motherboard that supports the P4 chipset. I would also get a speedy Hard Drive Boo. I'm guessing the one you have now is probably a slow poke older 5,400 RPM drive although I could be mistaken of course. Also you should think about at least doubling your RAM to 512 MB. If your not into getting your hands dirty opening up the computer and installing the stuff yourself you can always take it to a reputable Computer Service Center and have them do it. Or if you know of a person or relative that could do it, then that would be even better cause you could save some bucks. My advice is if you decide to upgrade your computer make sure you diligently check out and research the products you intend to get. For instance; when looking for a new motherboard check out different online Hardware Sites that will give you the skinny on different motherboard brands and models and give you reviews of them so you can determine which is the best one for price/performance, etc. A good site to check out motherboards, hard drives, RAM, CPU's, etc., is Tom's Hardware

Best regards,
Mike

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online