SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#101220 - 11/21/03 07:00 AM Lost Topics
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Over the past two days we seem to have lost a few of the topic postings. I was reading two posts from Paul-61 and then they went away I know that it is the poster's perogative to delete his/her post, but I implore them to keep them on the forum and let them die a natural death.

I guess I shouldn't say much because I have pulled a topic or two myself, but only after a few days of no replies. Since there is no other way to gauge readership, zero replies kind of indicates to me that no one is interested in that topic, but Paul's posts had some responses. Maybe he felt he had all the advice he needed or (as per his second post about mod synths) felt he didn't belong.
I like seeing ALL the posts, even though I may choose not to read some. This is a great forum. We have many and varied points of view and experience. We discuss a lot more than just arranger keyboards too. I hope future posters keep their topics online. I too will keep my post on the forum if the rest of us feel they should stay too.

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 11-21-2003).]

#101221 - 11/21/03 08:04 AM Re: Lost Topics
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would like to respond to this thread. When I joinned this BBS a few years back I posted on the rarest occasion. But it was not until this year that i started posting here more an more. I usually post in the General & Computer Related Forum under the General discussion. Some of my topics did get responses, some did not. Then two days ago, I posted a question on looking for a controller keyboard. Needless to say I did not receive any help. Oh I got response but they were not what I was looking for or wanted. Then a memember suggested I should post on the general aranger froum and low and be hold I got about 11 responses in a half an hour. I started to get help up until the point, where two memebers ( who will remain annomous) started going at each other. Over what i would rather not discuss here. Since the posts got off topic I felt that I would delete the topic rather then get involved.

Now correct me if I am wrong but I thought this was a plce to discuss synthesizers. To ask questions and to get answeres to those questions. If memebers have a quraum with each other I would apperciate them being left out of my posts. Otherwise I will delete those topics. And, Not want to post here ever again. I really don't want to leave, but if things like memebers argueing or whatever, then I will stop comming here.

The problem I have is knowing where is the apporpreiate place to post certain questions. All I know is that when I post in the General Arranger forum I got more responses to my topics then I do in the general discussion froum.

If I really wanted off the Wall topics and sillyness I can go too The Gas Station over at Sonic State.com. They Have a forum for totaly unrealted to synths section.

Nigel if I am out of line here, or have over steped my bounds. I do appologise, and please let me know.

#101222 - 11/21/03 08:34 AM Re: Lost Topics
cassp Offline

Paul, only speaking for myself, I know that the membership here can get a little OFF-TOPIC. That is not unusual here, but the chemistry here is also different. Many of these members have been here a while and have gotten to know each other pretty well on and off line, so topics sometimes stray from the post. I know that can be frustrating, especially for a newcomer, but that is also what makes this place so inviting. I end up reading most all of the posts simply because one never knows what useful and/or useless information may be given.
As for being insulted, or others insulting each other - I have to say that I do not see that. I'm sorry that you feel you've had a negative experience here, but I encourage you stick around and learn about us. I think you will that we mean no harm to you or anyone. There are some strong opinions here, for sure, but I have found no one who is viscious or negative.

p.s. I checked your link on the .com synth and it looks like a challenge for me. I compliment you on your interest and hope you keep your inte3rests and talents right here.

#101223 - 11/21/03 09:22 AM Re: Lost Topics
Anonymous
Unregistered

cassp, I have pin pointed my problem. I have nothing to do during the day to keep me occupied, until I go to work in the evening. I work nights at a Holiday Inn so I have lots of free time during the day. I do not have cable TV becuse TV is serious addictive drug that I have managed to stay off of for a year now. I don't surf the net too much since I have dial up. And since I sold off all of my keyboards (well execpt for my arp omni, but I don't really play it). The idea of owning a modualr synth does apeal to me even though the thing is rather expensive.

To tell the truth I really do not know what I am good at. I can play a little piano and my mother thinks I should keep up with it. But there are two things preventing me from wanting to continue. One being I absolutely HATE the piano. And two anything praciteing and reading sheet music I hate as well. In my mind I want to be able to play well, but then again I am not MOZART.

I do remember this one time being in my favorite music store and messing around with a Roland MC-303 groove box and having fun comeing up with really good beats and groves, (well I thought they were good) and apprently so did someone else. Some guy thought I was good and siad " I could use you." Problem is I live in Frederick MD and he live in Baltimore. But I did not take him too seriously.

Okay so I know I like synthesizers, even though I can not play to well. I do know some chords and have made things up before. I also know I like ryhtms and drums and such. But then I also like the straight analog synth sounds. Maybe what it is that I really want is something that is completely different and off the wall. Like the pioners of electronic music and modern painters.

Prorbaly what I need to do is sit down and think out what it is that I really wnat and waht equipment I want to own and then go from there.

I bet if I actually had something to keep me occupied in music and synths I would be a better person and stop worrying about stupid stuff, that I should not worry about.

You know what! I think I just answered my own question.

#101224 - 11/21/03 10:06 AM Re: Lost Topics
trtjazz Offline

Paul,
If all the practice and discipline of practice aren't your thing, perhaps you should consider composing computer based music with loops and such with something like Acid or the like.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#101225 - 11/21/03 10:08 AM Re: Lost Topics
Anonymous
Unregistered

That is something that I have considered.

#101226 - 11/21/03 11:59 AM Re: Lost Topics
cassp Offline

Paul, it sounds like you're a candidate for an arranger keyboard - the bigger Yamahas have some very nice analogue synth sounds.

HEY Nigel, see this all does have something to do with arrangers after all.

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 11-21-2003).]

#101227 - 11/21/03 12:03 PM Re: Lost Topics
nardoni2002 Offline

Loc: malaga, spain
paul61, don,t give up,this is a great site,full of a mixture of all types from all walks of life who all share the love of music,if you ask for advice there is a wealth of info here from goooodhearted sincere people,not all of the advice is suitable to our particular needs ,but we have to sort out for ourselves what is relevent and what is not,for example if i wanted to buy a new board i would give this info first,how much i wanted to spend ,if it was for home use only or not ,what other equipment i have ,my level of playing,and what keyboard i have had etc,i know for a fact that i would value these guys info more than a dealer who i don,t know,we have some GREAT dealers on this site and anyone of them would advise well,because they are always here and have become friends,PAUL lighten up a little,and don,t take things so serious,with all good intentions ,mike

#101228 - 11/21/03 12:10 PM Re: Lost Topics
Anonymous
Unregistered

What? You mean like the Motiff? That is a nice prospect, but a $2,000.00 keyboard is a bit out of my price range. That holds true for .com modualr which would be the same price. I never spent more then $600.00 on a keyboard. So spending over $1,000.00 is out of the question. I just don't want to over burden myself. I think that maybe why I have put of the idea of buying a modualr synth.

Yes I will mike, Thank You!

#101229 - 11/21/03 12:45 PM Re: Lost Topics
nardoni2002 Offline

Loc: malaga, spain
PAUL61,look to buying secondhand or models that have been replaced with later models,it won,t be so far out of reach and you are sure to pick up a bargain,mike

#101230 - 11/21/03 01:06 PM Re: Lost Topics
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Paul,

You have to get out more. You're right in the middle of the best fishing and hunting areas of Maryland, but if those sports don't interest you, how about skiing? Wisp is just over an hour from Frederick.

If you absolutely must have an arranger keyboard, and you don't want to spend more than $600, I have a couple PSR-740s for sale, and both are in new condition. I'll let them go for $500 each. They're great boards and they'll do just about anything you wish.

I'm only an 1-1/2 hours from Downtown Frederick.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#101231 - 11/21/03 01:19 PM Re: Lost Topics
cassp Offline

Paul, take Gary's offer if you want a good sounding keyboard that is also a good arranger. The price is fair and Gary is trustworthy. mI've never met him personally, but we have shared this forum for quite some time now. He can also be very helpful in getting you thru that learning curve. Unless your dream for that modular is overwhelming, this may be a good opportunity to get into the music - and that's what it's all about.

#101232 - 11/22/03 04:20 PM Re: Lost Topics
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well actually I am still considering buying a modualr synth sometime in the distant future. I would like to even get some soft synths as well. I have even though about buying an old MC-303 groove box. They are rather cehap on ebay, and I still see people buying them. Besides I have played one and really had a blast. I did own a JX-305 but that was just a little over my head.

BTW: Would the JX-305 groove keyboard be considered an arranger keyboard? Just curious?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online