SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#100831 - 06/21/07 04:44 AM Re: Adding sound module to Tyros 2
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Around about 1990 on, 2 companies tried to expand the basic Midi so as to allow more sounds etc, 1 was Roland with the GS system, (Popular in the US and used on all Windows computers) and 2 was Yamaha with the XG system, (Adopted by pretty much the rest of the world) theoretically both should be able play standard files, but as is usual both manufactures wanted to dominate and so things were changed to try and outdo the other, and this is why mappings between manufactures don’t match.
(One of the downsides of a free market, fortunately the ups outweigh the downs)

Bill

#100832 - 06/21/07 08:21 AM Re: Adding sound module to Tyros 2
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I am not sure which Roland module you are looking at, though. Unfortunately, Roland don't make a module with the components that are in the G70/E80... You would need a TD drum module AND a Fantom module to get close (and a VK module for the Hammond stuff).

You MIGHT be better off using a G70, and having a Yamaha module, instead, for the SA stuff you like so much and the Mega voices... When it comes out, I am planning on seeing if the MotifXS Rack will do this for me. I'll keep you posted.

#100833 - 06/21/07 03:26 PM Re: Adding sound module to Tyros 2
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Nick,
is there a particular reason you want Roland drum sounds? You'd really want to make sure they're going to sound better than what you already have in the T2.
ie Roland may sound better as far as a soundsource goes? but will they necccesarily sound better as a replacement for the T2 drums when it comes to styles?

Main reason I added an sd2 module was that I wanted to convert some of my Ketron SD1's keyboard styles into psr format ( for use with OMB software / laptop). Only way of being able to duplicate the Ketron Live Drums was to play them back via the SD2 soundmodule. The soundsources are similar, but even they require tweaking.

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#100834 - 06/21/07 03:58 PM Re: Adding sound module to Tyros 2
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
It doesnt particularly have to be a Roland module, it could be Korg or even a Yamaha Module. i just want to have more variations of Drum kits, especially for dance / trance, i want something more crisp and punchier.

for example i want to have the option of about 5-10 different bass Kicks or Hand Claps etc etc.

The Yamaha Dance kit is great but u need more than just the one...

#100835 - 06/21/07 08:34 PM Re: Adding sound module to Tyros 2
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Oh, yeah... If you are into Dance, Trance etc., try to get a listen on the new Korg M3... OUTSTANDING for trance dance and techno....

#100836 - 06/23/07 12:03 AM Re: Adding sound module to Tyros 2
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Nick,
must admit I'm not really into modern music , though I do quite like Trance music.
I had access to my son's collection for a while, and started to quite enjoy it.
Drums have a really pounding beat.
Would have thought drum audio loops would suit that type of music better.
Pity T2 sample functions aren't the same as the sd1. It can actually play drum audio loops in sync with a style.

Good luck in your hunt for a module. The sd2 has some modern type kits like Techno, Rave etc etc, plus it has 3 "Live Drum" Dance kits.
Can't really comment on how good or realistic they sound.
best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nick G:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online