SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#100756 - 06/23/07 10:09 AM OT Need help, having major computer/internet problem
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hello

I am experiencing the weirdest, most annoying computer/internet problem such as Jen and I have ever encountered. Jen is a computer whiz with training. She even has built a couple fast, good computers, and she has no clue on this one.

We are having a major problem getting online, getting to all the sites we would want to and being able to stay there.

We can't get on anything that is Yahoo, which is my home page and main email etc. Also can't get on google. Yet, I can get to SZ and other sites. This problem has been off and on and it used to be if it happened,if I couldn't get on my Yahoo main page, I'd go to favorites and find a Yahoo group link and it would work and then I would be able to get to my email and home page. Now this does not even work.

Another example. I went to maynardferguson.com and then clicked their link to get to their forum. It wouldn't do this either.

We have had to reset our DSL modem lately to allow us to get anything at all, plus too many other weird things for me to even remember. There seems to be some inconsistent things going on here.

Does anyone have a clue what's going on and what correction would fix this crazy situation.

Thanx in advance.

Scott

#100757 - 06/23/07 11:15 AM Re: OT Need help, having major computer/internet problem
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
No help from me, Scott, but I do have a similar problem trying to get to the Detroit NPM site - http://npmdetroit.org - I have to go thru another portal to get there. It's the only site I've had problems with but it sounds similar to your proble.

Hope you find a solution.

------------------
Cass Pawlowski - Detroit
www.cassp50.googlepages.com/home

#100758 - 06/23/07 11:35 AM Re: OT Need help, having major computer/internet problem
Scott Langholff Offline

Hi cassp

I just tried another thing I've been having a problem with. I click on a link in a post like the one you just gave and it brings up the thingy that another page should open up in, but it doesn't. And yet if I copy and paste the link you gave into the address bar, it will come up, just like it did for the link you listed.?????????

Another way of saying this is if I click on a link say at maynardferguson.com, when I could get to the forum that is, that site is set up where it doesn't open up a different browser window to show the new site, it uses the same window, hope I'm saying this right, and it's ok. But, if the site is set up to open a new and different window to allow the link to appear, it doesn't work.!!!!!!!!

There are a couple good yahoo groups forums to get help with computer problems. I've used them successfully in the past. Only problem this time is, I can't get any pages from Yahoo. EEEeeeeeeeeekkkkkkkk

[This message has been edited by Scott Langholff (edited 06-23-2007).]

#100759 - 06/23/07 11:40 AM Re: OT Need help, having major computer/internet problem
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
What browser are you using ? Do you have the latest version?

#100760 - 06/23/07 11:45 AM Re: OT Need help, having major computer/internet problem
Scott Langholff Offline

We're using IE 6.1 which is as high as we can go, as we are currently using W98 and anything higher requires XP.

#100761 - 06/23/07 12:26 PM Re: OT Need help, having major computer/internet problem
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
In the last 2 or 3 weeks, i have been unable to send email to any of my list members that have yahoo for an isp, of which there might be a dozen members using yahoo.
I just read in our business section in the paper that there is some problems going on between google and yahoo and one is dropping out of an agreement with the other etc. That may have something to do with it.
Time will tell.
Bebop

#100762 - 06/23/07 02:36 PM Re: OT Need help, having major computer/internet problem
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Use the IE 6 repair function in Add/Remove programs to see if this solves the problem, you can also download the Opera browser (More professional and secure then Firefox, although Firefox 2 is slowly starting to get there) and try that. (Malfunctioning Firewalls etc can also cause problems)
If the above fails, open up a DOS Box and then do a TRACERT to see what servers seem to cause the problem, if it stops at your modem, note down all the details you have set up in it, and then reset it to OOTB to see if this clears the problem, also make sure you have the latest Firmware for your modem, (Don’t forget that any electronic unit can become faulty) if it is an external server problem then notify your ISP.
Hope this helps

Bill

#100763 - 06/25/07 03:30 AM Re: OT Need help, having major computer/internet problem
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
Reload Java runtime?

#100764 - 06/25/07 09:32 AM Re: OT Need help, having major computer/internet problem
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Buy a Mac?

Seriously... Win98 is getting a bit long in the tooth (and that's probably an older computer you are running it on - a lot of the web is using stuff that needs faster computers and modern OS's to run well).

Why not take a look at an Intel Mac. Bombproof web surfing and email (no viruses or trojans at all), all the apps you'll need are included, and the icing on the cake... They now boot WinXP natively, too, if you HAVE to have it (and Win98 in emulation). Best of both worlds...

Hey, Scott... You made it as far as Niceville. Next time, come on down to Destin and say hi!

#100765 - 06/25/07 02:47 PM Re: OT Need help, having major computer/internet problem
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Just installed ADSL... I could get to some sites and not others, I couldn't even get to tmy ISP's home page and www.microsoft.com was not loading.
Rang the ISP and in about 3 minutes they made me change ONE setting in the modem/router I have.

Runs like hell now.

#100766 - 06/25/07 03:14 PM Re: OT Need help, having major computer/internet problem
wizboy Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Sounds to me that you could also be experiencing any viruses/malware/spyware that could block certain sites.
Do you have any programs that you can use to scan ?

Also, try downloading mozilla firefox (free browser) at http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/ and see if you get the same problem.
If you're using IE, look to see if you haven't blocked certain sites in your settings. I'm assuming you're running XP.

Also, you can clear your cache in your browser.

Hope this helps.
Claude

#100767 - 06/25/07 06:19 PM Re: OT Need help, having major computer/internet problem
Scott Langholff Offline

Hello

Thanx for all the input.

The dern thing is working again with nothing done to it. It may have been what Bebop was talking about with the Yahoo, google thing. Doesn't make any sense to me though,. Maybe it was a coincidence.

There are still a few "issues" with this particular computer, but I am using it only until my wife takes care of some problems with a very fast unit that she made for me in 2005. Then I'll be back to XP and very fast, smooth operation for the kind of music type things I want to be able to do, along with my Mia 24/96 sound card

When my wife get's a minute, I'll have her try some of these other suggestions, if she thinks it will help with the remaining problems in the meantime.

Hey Diki, Actually, Randy was here in Pensacola just about 15 minutes from home. I don't know when I'll get over to Destin, I usually don't have much call to go that far unless I get a gig over there, or visit the wifes family in Panama City.

Panama City, that reminds me, you know that guy that does the Girls Gone Wild videos, who has done a lot of shooting in Panama City Beach is estimated at earning $29,000,000 per year, Although, I understand he doesn't like to pay his taxes.

Think of it, doing that kind of,haha, work and making 29mil.

Oh well, just a thought anyway.hehehe

Scott

http://ScottLMusic.com

[This message has been edited by Scott Langholff (edited 06-25-2007).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online